Short Notice - Any Ideas Around DC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be visiting DC this weekend. I've visited many times before and seen a lot of sights and neighborhoods within the District. Now I'm looking for something to see/do outside the District.

I'm not really too interested in touristy things, malls or antiques. But I do like interesting neighborhoods with small shops/restaurant. We won't have a car, so it needs to be close to the Metro or a fairly frequent bus line.

I've heard a lot about Alexandria, Bethesda and Arlington. What are the most interesting areas for each of these? Are there any other places you'd recommend?
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 03:05 PM

Alexandria's Olde Town is a great place to stroll, nice neighborhoods north & south of King Street. Use Metro Blue or Yellow line to King Street. We enjoyed walking around the residential neigborhoods in Georgetown north of "M" and west of Wisconsin. You could take one of the Potomac River boats from Alexandria to Georgetown. If not, then take the Metro to Rosslyn, Foggy Bottom, or Dupont Cr. Get a transfer pass from the dispenser at the station you BOARD the Metro at, and you can ride the Georgetown Shuttle for 25cents vs 50cent regular fee.

Last year, the DASH bus (in Alexandria) had a free bus that ran between King St Metro and the Alexandria Visitor Center. There are regular buses that run up and down as well, and will accept Metro transfer coupons + 25 cents too for buses departing Alexandria Metro stations.

Not too familier w/ Arlington except for the Rosslyn/Iwo Jima area - which I'll recommend. You could also walk over Key Bridge to Georgetown from there as well. How about the Eastern Market? There's an organization "Washington Walks" with walking tours of various neighborhoods. We enjoyed one that started at the Waterfront/SEU Metro station. I think the website is washingtonwalks.org

Enjoy the trip!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 03:06 PM

I would recommend Old Town Alexandria as well.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:47 PM

Adams Morgan for the evening scene is great fun...very good restaurants and clubs for all ages. Eastern Market is a fun few hours. Bethesda has great restaurants and a wonderful movie theater that shows foreign and independent films, but otherwise not a great visit. Train to Baltmore's Inner Harbor always a great way to spend some time.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 05:25 PM

Many of these suggestions are great, but I have to second the Baltimore Inner Harbor, Camden Yards Ballpark and the foot ferry to the Fells Point neighborhood for seafood pub food. A baseball game would be an added plus (if you like the sport). Inner Harbor is so easy to reach by commuter train for about $5 bucks. Pulls right in next to Camden Yard.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Kal

Good weather-bike ride up the C&O Canal or down to Mt Vernon?

Torpedo Factory in Alexandria was nice.
Kal
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 06:36 PM

Another vote for Old Town Alexandria, the Torpedo Factory, Shops, Bars, Restaurants, and a great place to visit. I'm heading there this weekend myself.

Baltimore is great too, but that is a whole weekend in itself.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your responses. It turns out that we will have a car for a day, so it expands the possibilites a bit. We will probably go up to Baltimore. There's something very charming about it (I've been a few times before). However, the Inner Harbor is a little touristy for my liking. I do love Hampden and other assorted neighborhoods.

I've read that Wilson Blvd in Arlington might be an interesting area. And other people have said that Falls Church is diverse. Where exactly in Falls Church would be worth going? Also, what is Del Rey (Alexandria) like?
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:12 AM

A couple of fascinating but relatively little known attractions in DC are--

The National Arboretum off of NY and Bladensburg Road in Northeast. It is huge, beautiful plants and acreage. They also have an interesting Bonsai collection and the old Capitol column are standing on a hill.

From there go up Montana Avenue across Rhode Island Ave. to the Franciscan Monastery. They have catacombs you can tour, a lovely chapel, and (especially this time of year) fabulous gardens with recreations of Mary's Tomb, the Grotto of Lourdes, and the first church of St. Francis. You can talk to the Monks, they live so differently than most of us, very interesting.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:43 AM

There is an independent city of Falls Church. The area around it also has Falls Church addresses. The city of FC is a nice place place to live but I don't think you'd really want to visit. It's sem-urban, with shops on the main drag (route 7) and lots of leafy suburban streets, but not really any stroll-around areas. Around the city is more suburbia with some stip malls.

It's certainly nice driving around Northern Virginia this time of year, with all the blossoms and fresh green. You might find out more about the Wilson Blvd corridor, but I think that Old Town Alex. might be what you are looking for.

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 04:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Del Rey is a neighborhood adjacent to Old Town Alexandria. It's primarily a residential area that was built at the start of the 20th C. to house the employees of the Potomac Yards railroad (which is now a compilation of big box stores, Target, B&N, Old Navy etc). Lots of bungalow architecture, a number of Sears homes. The main business drag is Mt. Vernon Avenue where you'll find a fair concentration of restaurants, funky shops and galleries. For dining I like Taverna del Alabardero, St. Elmos Coffee Pub, Evening Star Cafe and RTs. It's a great neighborhood (I lived there for years), less slick and not as upscale as of Old Town.

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 06:09 AM

I live right off of Wilson Blvd in Arlington and frankly, it's not all that exciting. Some good restaurants and such, but nothing like Alexandria or Baltimore or Adams Morgan.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you once again for all your help

Depending on time, we might head up to Baltimore or maybe drive around Alexandria and Arlington a bit. We shall see.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 09:20 AM

OK, you really seem bent on going up to Baltimore (despite all the excellent suggestions re:Alexandria), so --

-- on the way to Baltimore, by all means stop at (old=downtown) Ellicott City -- an old and restored train-station town. Quaint streets, nice restaurants, and while some of the shops are clearly aimed at tourists, it's not at all like the Inner Harbor. Some very good restaurants and a nice walk around the neighborhoods built around the rocks and hills. A similar town and a little bigger deal is Harpers Ferry west and upriver of DC on the Potomac -- very historical.

Also consider Annapolis for history and compactness.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 09:27 AM

Thanks for suggestion, soccr, on Ellicott City ... will try that next time I'm in the area with wheels. Sounds like what I'd like.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 10:39 AM

Urban:

I'd recommend going on yellow line of subway to King Street and catching a bus to Mt. Vernon, VA, George Washington's home. It is so wonderful to walk around the place and then sitting on one of the rockersf/chairs on the back porch overlooking the Potomac. The bus should leave you off at entrance of Mt. Vernon.