Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Short but fun trip to Knoxville, Tennessee (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/short-but-fun-trip-to-knoxville-tennessee-836256/)

Samsaf Apr 18th, 2010 11:19 AM

Short but fun trip to Knoxville, Tennessee

My husband and I are diehard Tennessee Volunteer fans, and we had wanted to go to the spring Orange/White game for a long time. So this year we decided to go!

We left on Friday; it takes about 3.5 to 4 hours to get to downtown Knoxville from our home northeast of Atlanta. We love to stay at the Hilton Downtown Knoxville. It's 6/10 of a mile from the stadium, and it's a really nice hotel. We got upgraded to the executive suite, which included free evening snacks and free breakfast! :)

This trip we knew we had to take it easy, because I'm still recovering from my latest surgery. We asked at the front desk about a good restaurant that was closeby, and they suggested Chesapeake's. It is about 1.5 blocks from the hotel. It was DELICIOUS! We ordered crabcakes for an appetizer. We have high standards for crabcakes, and these were so good! For my entree, I had crab bisque, blackened longfish, and some sort of potato au gratin dish -- everything was incredible. My husband had the crab bisque, filet mignon and scallops, and a baked potato. We both agreed it was a very good dinner. We definitely will go there again (when our "kids" aren't with us, because it's too expensive for the whole family!) :)

Afterwards, we walked to the Market Square area. This area is about a 2- to 3-block area that is pedestrian-only, brick-paved, and lined with stores and restaurants. It was the first night of the Dogwood Festival there, and there was a band playing country music. All kinds of people were out that night enjoying the beautiful weather. We sat on a bench for awhile and people-watched (which we both love to do!) and listened to the band. Then we headed back to the hotel.

The next morning, my husband went to the breakfast room and brought me back LOADS of food: sausage biscuit, blueberry muffin, canteloupe, pineapple, a pastry. I tried a little bit of all of it, and it was very good. They also had cereal, toast, bagels, etc., in the breakfast room, he said.

After breakfast, we headed down toward the stadium, walking very slowly and resting several times. We went to the Tennessee Bookstore, which we LOVE! :) If you're a Tennessee fan, this is the place to be.

Neyland Stadium is undergoing a renovation (I think they're adding a brick front to part of it), so parts of the stadium were blocked off. The weather was perfect for watching a ballgame. We really enjoyed it! It's fun to see all the Tennessee clothing/accessories people wear -- some of it is very imaginative!

We left at the end of the third quarter. My wonderful husband got us a cab to get back to the hotel (to our car). After getting out of the parking garage (a whole other story!) we headed back home. We decided to let our GPS guide the way instead of us just going via interstate. The GPS had us getting off in Sweetwater, Tennessee, and we never were on the interestate again all the way home. We went through mountains, valleys, small towns, and we saw some AMAZING views.

So that was our short trip. We enjoy doing 1- and 2-night little mini-getaways -- it's fun to still enjoy being with each other after all these years. :)

Go, Vols!

jent103 Apr 20th, 2010 12:28 PM

Samsaf, I didn't realize you were a Vols fan! I'm glad you had a good time in my hometown. :) I miss the Dogwood Arts Festival - every year I think I should plan a trip home around it but I usually end up not. It's such a fun time, though!

cd Apr 23rd, 2010 05:16 AM

Sansaf, thanks for your report. Hope you are recovering well and glad you enjoyed your short trip. We driven thru Knoxville but never have stayed there.