shops, culture, food and fun in London...

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shops, culture, food and fun in London...

Here a bit of a trip report; I went to London for some days last week.
Everything started really early with a trip to Berlin Tegel Airport (4 in the morning is not a time to wake up!).

Flight was normal, hotel (Jarvis Kensington Gardens) not ready, so I started for a little bit of shopping at Harvey Nichols (oh yes, it is expensive, but sometimes a girl needs a bit of something special) and lunch at the café there.

I love it; people watching for free, the Chicken Ceasar salad for a bit more and a perfect espresso to finish the meal-a good restart for this day.

After a bit more of shopping I went to the hotel to check in. After some not so good experiences earlier this year I was delighted to get a big fat double room with bath tube (I looove long baths) as a single. After openeing the curtains I saw through a window as wide as the room into the sun over some lovely houses-not a big road!-I love this hotel, for London it was so quiet! Heaven!
After shower I went to Selfridges, bought a mag, had a look on several handbags (I have to buy a new one)
(did I mention that I love shopping and window shopping?)
and settled early (what is early when you are up from 4 in the morning?) in bed with a nice chicken wrap with coconut dressing from M&S.

Next morning was my birthday so I met with a friend for a luxurious champagne lunch and more shopping and tea at a nice little cafè opposite Libertys and dinner at Carluccio at St. Christophers.
I booked the table via email and after a drink at the bar we got a lovely table at the windows.
Food was great and a cute little three year old amused us by talking to us through the closed windows...

Next day, after too much spending (and eating) I decided to go for culture and went to the Hopper exhibition at the Tate Modern. Fantastic! As I went early it was not too crowded and I liked the paintings even more than I thought. But the best was the room where some windows, like cut outs, gave a perfect view on St Pauls. This, together with the wonderful art was breathtaking!

I did a lot of walking this day, as it is not my first visit to London. I have "done" most of the sightseeing and prefer to stroll through the city.

In the evening I met with a friend at Covent Garden for early dinner at (I think)Patisserie Valerie and theatre.
We went to "Old Times" by Harold Pinter.
I liked it very much, my friend was fascinated by the actor, but I haven`t got a clue what was the turning point in the story, I could only guess.
Well, I ordered the book now, so maybe I am enlighted after reading the play.
After a drink in the local pub (Cider, I love it) I was ready for bed...

On saturday, the last day, I went to the Tate Britain to see the exhibition "Art of the garden"-fascinating artwork connected to gardens.
Calming (maybe all the green?) and interesting even for me who has not even a garden and who has to buy regular new flower-pots because, well, I think I am not good with them.
Then a short visit to a special painting in the NG (I do this every time I am in London, the visit is something like my lucky charm!)and a nice sandwich at Arcos in Knightsbridge (prices are ok, food is delicious and staff sooo friendly) I was off to the airport.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Nice report. You might want to post it on the European board
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

This hotel was really good-the not so good experiences with hotels I mentioned have been with other hotels!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:15 PM

What a perfect Birthday !
A belated Happy Birthday and thank you for a charming report.
Just cut and paste this on the Europe boards..
Scarlett
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

How do I do the copying?
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:17 PM
jor

Never knew that London, Texas had all that great stuff. Who knew?
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

This swhould have been in the European section. I do not know how to move it.....
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:29 PM

You can't move an existing thread. What you can do is highlight all your text, right click and pick copy. Then, go to the Europe board and make a new post. In the text box, right click and paste your text there, then post.

Glad you had a great trip. I love baths too! It's heaven to have a great tub in your hotel room!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I think now I got it!