Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   shopping in NYC with teenagers (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/shopping-in-nyc-with-teenagers-332272/)

ksm Jun 29th, 2003 07:44 PM

shopping in NYC with teenagers

I will be in NYC with 3 teenagers (15, 16, 18) and, of course, shopping is number one on their list. We will be staying in Time Square area, and I know we are right at 5th avenue shopping, but I am interested in something a little more unique and not quite as expensive.

Any suggestions? Thanks

karebear4567 Jun 29th, 2003 07:49 PM

check out the Soho area (around broadway and spring st.) and also Greenwich village. On Fifth ave, teenagers might like the huge H & M.

OaktownTraveler Jun 29th, 2003 08:25 PM

...The NBA Store, Sony Store, Nike Store, Doctor Jay's...

These are where the teens shop.
Sometimes you(they) will have to wait outside because of the lines to get in.

Many stars appear at these stores as well as The Footlocker, the one across the street from MTV.

The Ney York City web pages(exact sites slip my mind) are filled with teen events. There is really TOOOO much for them to do.

We go several times a year with our teen who is in the "industry" and we hardly see him once we get to our hotel.

Have a blast!

Oaktown Traveler

p.s. I just assumed that your teens were like 90% of today's teens
(I teach)...Soho and Greenwich are really for the other 10% of teens...(MY OPINION)

My teen says that Soho/Greenwich is more for young adults vs. teens(HIS OPINION).

ellen_griswold Jun 29th, 2003 08:43 PM

Very true, oaktown! Unless they have their daddy's plastic, they'll likely do more window shopping than actual purchasing in soho/ greenwich. Great boutiques, but waaay pricey.

On our last trip to the city, we didn't see as many street vendors (watches, kate spade / prada bags etc) but check out canal street for lots of fun, knock-off variety.

And OaktownTraveler, what does your son do in the industry?! Sounds exciting!

Gekko Jun 30th, 2003 06:02 AM

Definitely Canal Street between Mulberry Street and Broadway (the south side of Canal is better). And Broadway from Canal up to Bleecker or so.

mclaurie Jun 30th, 2003 06:43 AM

H & M-very well priced trendy clothing-several locations. One on about 50th & 5th another one near Macy's.

Century 21 downtown (near Financial district) has great designer clothing at discounts. Daffy's is another good discount place with several locations (one near Bloomingdales).

If you're coming during the summer (after the 4th) there'll be big sales at all the dept stores.

MFNYC Jun 30th, 2003 08:59 AM

Both H&M and Daffy's has stores in Soho. In the village, for inexpensive clothes, 8th sts between Broadway and 6th av. If you plan on going down to the WTC area, definitely go to Century 21. The 2nd floor has more sporty less-expensive clothes, the 3rd floor is higher end designers and pricier. All is discounted there in any case.

MFNYC Jun 30th, 2003 09:02 AM

Just to add to my previous post, my 14 1/2 yr old loves Urban Outfitter (many locations), also Wet Seal (8th St & Broadway and other locations), American Eagle outfitters (various locations) and Century 21.

GoTravel Jun 30th, 2003 01:13 PM

Best shopping for teenagers in no particular order:
H&M
Daffy's
Bolton's
Strawberry
Sefora
Century 21
Bloomingdales
Macys

GoTravel Jun 30th, 2003 01:20 PM

Oops, left out Virgin Records in Times Square and Pearl River in Soho. Wished they would have left Pearl River in its old dump of a place.

suzanne Jun 30th, 2003 02:22 PM

I always thought of Bolton's and Daffy's as stores for more mature women (Or is it me? I've never found anything remotely cute there). You forgot Urban Outfitters on your list! The ultimate trendy teen store (also great for the 30-something who wants to look 20-something :) ). There are lots of other small shops on that strip of Broadway in Noho/Soho (like Mystique Boutique, etc.) that makes it an area where teens could easily spend all day shopping. Of course venture down a few blocks to Canal Street for fake designer handbags/jewelry/sunglasses.

OaktownTraveler Jun 30th, 2003 04:40 PM

He models.

GoTravel Jun 30th, 2003 05:25 PM

I bought some really cute flirty slip dresses for my stepdaughters in Daffy's a month or so ago and saw tons of teenage girls shopping with mom. Bolton's also has cute things.

suzanne Jun 30th, 2003 05:44 PM

Really? I haven't set foot in either one in a good 5 years...I just may have to check them out!

fairfax Jul 1st, 2003 05:23 AM

I agree totally about Pearl River Mart. It took me ages to find the entrance to the store, but once I did, I loved the place. Went to the swank new location in April and while I thought it was lovely, it wasn't the same junky funky old PRM. I always get beautiful silk brocade covered notebooks, and the new store didn't have them. :-(

Apparently, there's another PRM location on Grand Street. Haven't found that one yet, but will try on my next trip to NYC.

bashful Jul 3rd, 2003 09:54 AM

I'm looking for shopping for girls a little younger - 11 and 12...would you recommend the same places or add some different ones?

mclaurie Jul 3rd, 2003 11:02 AM

Bashful,

You should be able to find things for 11 & 12 yr olds at H&M, Century 21 and possibly Daffys. Another place not yet mentioned for all teens is Canal Jeans on lower Broadway.

But there are a few stores that are specifically designed for "tweens". They're not necessarily cheap though, but very much what the kids want

Z'Girl, 976 Lexington Ave., New York, NY 10021. Phone: 212-879-4990. Hours: Monday - Saturday 10-7, Sunday 12-5.

Betwixt. 245 West 10th Street, NYC, NY 10014. Phone: 212-243-8590. Hours: Monday - Friday 11:30 - 6:30, Saturday 11-6, Sunday 12-5.

Fiorucci Mega Store
622 Broadway

Infinity
Madison & 83rd

GoTravel Jul 6th, 2003 10:28 AM

mclaurie, Canal Jeans closed a year or so ago I thought?

allan Jul 6th, 2003 12:58 PM

Yup. Canal Jeans is gone.

The new Pearl River is on the west side of broadway, just north of Grand.

ksm Jul 16th, 2003 12:54 PM

Thanks for all of the information. The teens loved the shopping. We ended up spending most of the time on Canal Street, Greenwich Village near NYU, and 5th Ave at the H&M. Great suggestions.