Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Shopping in NYC - What are your favorite (not particularly well-known) stores?

Sep 24th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

I just stumbled (on the web) across a place called Broadway Panhandler (kitchen stuff) in Soho. It looks kinda nifty. Be interested in hearing about some favorite spots for Manhattan shopping - clothes, house, thrift, etc.... - the neighborhood 'finds,' rather than the chains.
Sep 24th, 2006, 12:54 PM

My favorites in SoHo are Kate's Paperie and Pearl River, and that teen store across from Pearl, name something like Dirty (or Yellow) Rat Bastard.
Sep 24th, 2006, 01:00 PM
emd

I wrote about some of these in my recent NYC trip report (posted in early Sept.), so I won't go into detail here- see my report.

Housing WOrks thrift (143 W 17th St. location close to Union Square and the one in the Village. The upper est side location is the flagship I believe). 6 locations. I also went to the 245 W 10th St one in the Village- it is smaller.

See here:
http://www.housingworksauctions.com/about.cfm

Angel St. trift, down the street from HOusing Works W 17th st location

Loehmann's, short walking distance from the Housing Works W 17th location and Angel St. Trift. Good quality, good buys.

Soho corners and little markets on the street along Spring St. for handmade jewelry.
Sep 24th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Neopolitan

What's the name of the store -- sort of across from ABC Carpet with all the odds and ends of dishes and restaurant and hotel stuff? I always think it's called Eddie Fisher, but isn't. I've never bought anything there, but I love rummaging.

Sep 24th, 2006, 01:12 PM

The dish store is Fishs Eddy - definitely a great place to find cool dishes. I think it's a chain, but you absolutely should go to Sur La Table in Soho. High end cookware and cool kitchen accessories. I can spend hours in that store!
Sep 24th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Neopolitan

That's the name -- see I knew it reminded me of Eddie Fisher.

But it's a chain? Where else are they? Meanwhile I've been to dozens of Sur La Table stores across the country. Now THAT'S a chain (but a good one). I just love Fish's Eddy because most of that stuff you'd never find anywhere else.

Sep 24th, 2006, 04:35 PM

I like shopping at Purdy Girl for clothes. I've only been to the location on Columbus, near the Natural History Museum, but they have two other stores in the Village. They have an in-house label, and carry some other designers as well. their website is purdygirlnyc.com.
Sep 24th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Arghh! Someone beat me to it!

My very favorite place to shop in NYC - Fishs Eddy!

I'm not sure it's a "chain". They opened one store selling off batches of signature stoneware and china and were so successful they have created their own lines as well. I think there are 3 stores now in NYC (at least 2). You can also order online.

I LOVE my "birthday" platter I bought there and have sent baby gifts from there. Just love it, love it, love it!
Sep 24th, 2006, 05:24 PM
emd

skatedancer, that is my maiden name. I have seen Purdy Jewelers in NYC and took a pic of that sign. But I'd like to take a pic of Purdy Girls and frame it for my sisters since, well, that is what we are. Thanks for that info. I will definitely go there on my trip in late Dec.
Sep 25th, 2006, 06:02 AM
GoTravel

I love Fish Eddys! However it doesn't seem to be too much of a hidden gem!

Sep 25th, 2006, 06:16 AM

I said Sur La Table was a chain, not Fishs Eddy!
Sep 25th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reminder! Have been to Fish's Eddy in the past, but it might have slipped my mind. Plan to review all other suggestions here. Hope to hear some more...!
Sep 25th, 2006, 08:57 AM

There's a store in the E. Village called Lancelotti Housewares that specializes in offbeat apartment accesoories.

Calypso Home carries beautiful pillows, blankets, etc. They have a store in Soho on Lafayette and one in midtown, I think.
Sep 25th, 2006, 09:49 AM

You have cut a wide swath with the question. Since my 700 square foot apartment is filled to the ceiling with stuff, I tend to shop for interesting clothes. A few of my favorites:

Bonnie & Clyde
515 E 12th St
New York, NY 10009

This is where my wife found her "I (heart) NY" T-shirt in Arabic. A real crowd pleaser.

Unspecified street vendor table on Broadway in SoHo.

There is an attractive, young blonde haired woman that sells T-shirts with old USSR propoganda on them. Every time I go to SoHo I see her either on Broadway, Spring, Prince or West Broadway. The shirts are visually appealing so I am sure you will not any question who I am talking about once you see her.

Take a walk down Bleeker between 7th and 6th. On the north side of the street there are a number of interesting clothing stores. My favorite is closer to 6th Avenue, which I cannot remember the name of at the moment. It is known for all of its funky-cool bowling shirts if you are in to that type of thing.

And even though it is not New York, they have an outlet here.

Shanghai Tang
714 Madison Ave
New York, NY 10021-7207
(212) 888-0111

This is my absolute favorite store when I go to Hong Kong and the New location is beautiful.

Those are all the ones that come to mind immediately. If I think of others, I'll post them as well.
Sep 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM

The name of the place I was trying to think of on Bleeker is Toosh.

Toosh
235 Bleecker St
New York, NY 10014
(212) 675-1835

Also, when you are on Bleeker, be sure and check out:

Murray's Cheeses.
254 Bleecker Street

The selection is mind-boggling.

I buy my olive oil and vinegar at a place called O&Co. on Bleeker as well. It is not exactly a New York exclusive as I think they have stores in other cities. O&Co. also has a store in Grand Central.
Sep 25th, 2006, 11:51 AM

I was just a Fish's Eddy over the Christmas holidays with my friends, Bon Ton John and Marryann. They bought some glasses and then we went to Punch for lunch.

I also love Kate's Paperie, ABC Carpet and Home, Lafco, Jo Malone in the Flatiron Building, Takashimaya, and Toostie Plohound for shoes.
Sep 25th, 2006, 11:55 AM
GoTravel

Love Takashimaya!

Sep 25th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Love Fish's Eddy- did you know its name comes from the town of Fishs Eddy in the Catskills????
It's where the founders stored there first finds from the old hotels in the Catskills, that are no more.
Sep 25th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Broadway Pandhandler has just moved to 8th and Broadway.
Sep 25th, 2006, 09:31 PM

One of my favorites is Erwin Pearl, located at 697 Madison Avenue. They have beautiful enamel pins in every breed of dog possible. I have received loads of compliments for my dog pin. I think this store is next to Fortunoffs, a well-known department store that sell luxe items.

ABC Carpet & Home is also excellent. I went there to look for a Venetian chandelier for my home, and ended up purchasing that and a bedroom set, and beautiful Venetian lanterns.  There are five warehouse sized floors stuffed with furniture, lighting and rugs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO