Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Shopping in New York (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/shopping-in-new-york-904508/)

Abdullah_Diaey Aug 30th, 2011 04:17 PM

Shopping in New York

I will be in New York by the end of September for few days and wish to do shopping before leaving to Aberdeen. So is there any suggestions about a mall containing most of brands with good deals to shop in. Mostly casual winter wear.

nytraveler Aug 30th, 2011 04:26 PM

Manhattan doesn;t really have malls - it has primarily individual stores. This ranges from top designer shops on upper Madison Ave to upscale department stores (Barneys, Bloomies) to modest dept stpres (Macy's) to a host of chain stores (every chain you can think of) and individual boutiques for every possible item.

There are some discount places - Century 21 and Filene's basement but you need a shar p eye and pointy elbows.

Unlike other countries our stores generally have sales all the time. So - it's a matter of finding your price point and your style. Are there particular brands or stores you are looking for? (The real benefit of NYC are all of the stores you won;t find anywhere else.)

Abdullah_Diaey Aug 30th, 2011 04:39 PM

hhhh sharp eye and pointy elbow LOL :)
I'm generally interested in the brands I know here in Egypt like Timberland, CK, D&G, Adidas, Nike and Ralph Laurent but I think I will find more than this.

nyer Aug 30th, 2011 04:59 PM

We have fewer malls, but all of those brands and more have their own stores. Manhattan is full of chain stores. For better or worse, independent small store are scarce in many neighborhoods.

I assume that our full price would still be a good deal for you. You are coming near the beginning of the winter season so there will not be major discounts, though all department stores have sales on something at all times.
5th avenue from about 57th street down to 50th has many of the individual brand stores too

You might be happy just going to Macy's (one store that's bigger than any mall)and carries most of the brands you mention

MonicaRichards Aug 30th, 2011 05:44 PM

The Nolita area has a ton of boutiques with unique women's clothes. Also liked the stores that we don't see here in Northern California like Zara although I hear that's Spanish so maybe available in Egypt?

Aduchamp1 Aug 30th, 2011 05:47 PM

Try Broadway from about 10th Street almost all the way down to Canal Street. Very popular with Europeans and filled with casual wear. The street is a zoo from Houston Street on south.

Almost all brands you mentioned are sold there.

sf7307 Aug 30th, 2011 07:34 PM

Monica! Of course we have Zara in Northern California!

Aduchamp1 Aug 30th, 2011 11:20 PM

The clothes available at Zara in the US and in Spain are not the same, according to our Spanish cousin.

Abdullah_Diaey Aug 31st, 2011 06:37 AM

I agree with you Aduchamp its quality is different even between middle east countries. I think I will choose Macy option, it will be easier and time saving.

SueNYC Aug 31st, 2011 08:48 AM

For an interesting Mall experience, take the R or M train to the Queens Center Mall. It is just like a suburban shopping mall but it is located in the most culturally diverse county in the entire country.

I discovered the joys of this place while looking for a sleep number bed store.

http://www.shopqueenscenter.com/

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Austin Aug 31st, 2011 12:55 PM

I think Macys is a good idea too. They always have a sale going on. You can get good deals on those designers and more. And you can spend a few days at Macys and not get through it all!

travelbuff Aug 31st, 2011 01:33 PM

Also right across the street from Macy's is Daffy's, good quality clothing with deep discounts, and a good size inventory, at Herald Center. Also up and down 34th St are several stores that might have be of interest, and several shoe stores.

If you head downtown to Union Square, there's a Nordtrom's Off the Rack and a Filene's and a DSW. Although after the SYMS buyout the quality of clothing in Filene's has gone WAY down. I've been in a couple of times and well, yuck.

That said, another good option would be up by me, Broadway north of 72nd St has tons of stores some discount, Loehman's and Filene's and Ann Taylor and Talbots, (full pricing) and lots more.

nyer Aug 31st, 2011 02:13 PM

Many of the stores other people mentioned here are ones that I shop at and have very good deals. But if you are looking for current season specific brands, you might be disappointed. When I have visitors from overseas and take them to places like Century 21 they are not happy. I think Macy's is a good option for one stop shopping if you have limited time that you want to spend shopping, and perhaps one of the specific brand stores that you're really interested in.

HappyTrvlr Aug 31st, 2011 02:41 PM

Niketown is on E.57th, just east of 5th Avenue.