Shopping for Indian Crafts in Taos.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little wary about starting another thread about shopping based on what happened the last time I did that, but does anyone have any tips on finding reasonably priced native american crafts (rugs, jewelry) in Taos? Had a great time at the flea markets in Santa Fe today, but didn't see what I wanted for the right price. Hoping to find that in Taos.

The Tesuque Pueblo Flea Market was small--very small--but a lot of the vendors have great taste in vintage jewelry and clothing. Buyer beware, however: I was looking at a few small indian rugs. The seller said they were $145 each. And then, I kid you not, within 90 seconds, he had marked them down to $50. And I wasn't even bargaining with him--I was just trying to walk away.

The flea market at the Santa Fe Downs has more variety, more vendors, etc. If I could just choose one, this market would be it. Lots of old jewelry, vintage clothing, and native crafts. Oh, and junk in abundance.
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:37 PM

I find your attitude snide and condescending. I'm guessing you were slammed on a previous post for oozing a similar attitude.

Good luck on your hunt for mass produced cookie cutter goods that you can get at bargain prices.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:37 AM

I think it depends on if you want authentic or kitsch. Be prepared for paying well for good quality authentic native American artwork. The day of it being given away on the roadside are gone--and should be.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:48 AM

Perhaps the responders should go back to bed and get up on the other side.

I see nothing in the original post to call for the responses it received. I think the OP was being amusing.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
If it didn't refer directly to the OP's words, I would wonder whether the first response was actually directed toward this post, since I see no inkling of the attitude described in it.

I have only been there once, but I found some interesting crafts inside Taos Pueblo.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:41 AM

I agree w/Nikki, Taos Pueblo was the first place I thought of, I also think you'll have better luck in Taos than Santa Fe. The artisans in Santa Fe think very highly of their work. That being said - a legit blanket, or pot, can run in the thousands of dollars.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:45 AM

The OP is a travel writer of some sort & apparently is using 'us' to do her research for her. Hence the earlier responses. I guess she also believes we won't do any reseach on her prior inquiries...
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have a problem with the research angle. I don't see it as a poster asking us to do her research as much as an author using us as sources in her research. I read the previous post and would have responded if I had useful information about Santa Fe. I don't mind being a source for ideas, whether the ideas are being used by a traveler or an author.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:37 PM

>>The OP is a travel writer of some sort & apparently is using 'us' to do her research for her. Hence the earlier responses. I guess she also believes we won't do any reseach on her prior inquiries...
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:32 PM

How do we know that the OP isn't a travel writer for Fodor's? Anything is possible. Yes, Fodor's hires travel writers. That may be hard for ipod_robbie (aka emd3, I suspect--see OP's previous run-ins with him/her) and SAnParis2 to believe, but who do you think writes all the Fodor's travel guides? The plumber? The milkman?

I'm with Nikki and Lee Ann. I don't mind being a source of ideas. I will gladly pass on my knowledge of the Pacific Northwest, where I've lived for the last 4 decades. Glad to be a part of this forum (I'm new here).