Search

Help with May trip to DC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:16 PM
cperkins

Help with May trip to DC

Author: cperkins ([email protected])
Date: 01/08/2002, 04:08 pm

Message: Am trying to plan a trip to DC the first weekend in May, primarily to hear our daughter's choir sing at the National Cathedral. As we are unfamiliar w/the area, where would be the best place (area wise) to stay? Which airport would be the best to fly into? We would like to see the other sights while we are there, but would like to stay somewhere that places are accessible. Thanks for any help!

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Christina

It really depends on how you intend to get around in DC and especially from the airport. If you have no car, National Airport is the closest to the city and would be best if you can get a convenient flight; it's a cheap taxi ride into the city if you don't want to take the metro (which you could if you have little baggage). Otherwise, I'd choose Dulles, there is some bus service into DC from there, I'm not sure of current details on that; a cab is rather expensive from there as it's about 25-30 mi outside the city. I don't like BWI myself and won't go into details on transportation from there, but it can be done (National is best IMO). As for the other, I'd recommend you stay in Cleveland Park. There are two large hotels there which are nice enough and you can sometimes get good rates (I'd recommend the Omni, there is also a Marriott Wardman). Both are within less than a block to the Woodley Park metro stop so you can easily go downtown and to the museums, etc. Also, that spot is within walking distance to National Cathedral; if you don't want to walk (not sure how far, I'd say not more than 1/2 mile, prob. less), it is a short cab ride. There are many good restaurant choices right nearby on Conn. Ave, different kinds of cuisine and price ranges, and there are grocery and other small shops around there, plus a pub as I recall. It's also a nice walk into Adams Morgan, another good area for restaurants and night life. If those hotels are too expensive for you, there is a nice B&B in Woodley Park, also, called the Kalorama Guest Inn or something like that (because they have another location in Kalorama area).

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Ann

Christina pretty much covered it all, and I'd have to agree with what she said.

We recently used a limo service to Dulles from Alexandria, which was $65. More expensive than a cab, but it was a set price, and we were going during rush hour. And it was worth it--great service, showed up on time, beautiful big caddy with newspapers, etc., driver dressed in a suit. Alexandria and DC are roughly equi-distant from Dulles, so I'd imagine it would be a similar price. The service was called Ritz, but I'm not sure where (VA, MD or DC) it's located.

May's a great time to be here, and the Cathedral is gorgeous. You'll have a great time.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 10:39 AM
ingrid

Not sure if I understood Christina correctly, but the Cathedral is certainly not walking distance from the Omni.
Another possibility would be the Savoy Suites http://www.savoysuites.com/ on Wisconsin Avenue.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Christina

You understood me correctly and it certainly is within walking distance as I've done it several times. It's not that far, the Omni is at the corner of Calvert and Conn Ave and National Cathedral is west of there on Wisconsin, that isn't that far, less than a mile according to my map. I've walked all the way from Woodley metro down to the Mall sometimes. DC isn't that big a city. I suppose if someone won't walk more than a couple blocks, it isn't walkable. I frequently walk a mile or more when I'm visiting cities as a tourist.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 03:56 PM
cperkins

Thanks so much for your help. This really helps me alot. We also walk a lot when we are traveling, so a long walk won't bother us at all. Thanks again, your suggestions are great!

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 04:54 PM
ingrid

My apologies: Christina is right, it's about 1.5 miles. I guess I've lived here for that long that I assumed (wrongly) that most Americans wouldn't consider this walking distance anymore.