Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sheraton Kauai - any info? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sheraton-kauai-any-info-658451/)

JarredK Nov 12th, 2006 06:17 PM

Sheraton Kauai - any info?

Upon further review - We're thinking about staying at the Sheraton in Kauai for 7-nights. While the Hyatt and Princeville definitely seem more luxurious, they are both probably a bit out of our price range. Also, we figured that Poipu in March would probably have the best weather in Kauai.

Any info on this hotel? We heard that the rooms (including gardenview rooms) were recently renovated. Any comments from anyone who has seen the renovated gardenview rooms? I've seen lots of mixed reviews about the gardenview rooms in the past but I was wondering if these complaints were still valid now that the renovations are complete.

Any other recommendations or info on places to stay in Kauai in March for a couple in there 30's (sans kids) would also be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Gina817 Nov 13th, 2006 05:41 PM

Hi, We just got back a few days ago from 2 weeks in Hawaii. One of those weeks was spent at the Sheraton Kauai. We are also in our 30's without kids. We researched other hotels as well and felt the Sheraton was a good value compared to the Princeville (we are loyal Starwood members), so we went with it.
We were happy with the hotel. We heard the mixed reviews too. We stayed in a renovated gardenview room. I am not 100% sure if all of the rooms have been renovated, so just make sure you get a room which has been. Our room looked like a typical Sheraton room and we were happy with it. It didn't have any type of interesting view, but we didn't mind.
The main lobby and restaurants are right across the street in the "beach side" of the hotel. The lobby and courtyard are both pretty. The beach was wonderful and we both enjoyed it. The pools (one on the garden side and by the beach) are not elaborate, but the beach made up for it. We spent our time by the beach when we were at the hotel.
We were also very pleased with the staff. The concierge staff was very helpful and knowledgable. The front desk staff and just really everyone in the hotel was very sincere in their interactions with us.
One tip, you don't need to valet your car. There was plenty of parking on the garden side very close to our room at all times.
We ate the buffet breakfast in the morning b/c it was included in a package we had. It's your standard breakfast fare and very convenient.

We had nothing to complain about and were happy with our stay. I think if people walk into this hotel expecting the Four Seasons, they will be disappointed. It's a Sheraton and it's sitting in the middle of beautiful Poipu Beach in Kauai...and it's a fantastic value when you stack it up against the very fancy hotels. I hope that helps. Enjoy your vacation!

JarredK Nov 13th, 2006 06:22 PM

Thanks so much Gina. That was the spot-on response that I was looking for. Very helpful and much appreciated.

mscarls Nov 14th, 2006 06:20 AM

I have stayed at the Sheraton twice and would recommend it over the Princeville because of its location. More of the island's main attractions and better restaurants are nearby.
In comparing rates, make sure you factor in the Sheraton's resort fee (which I assume it stil has). I did find the fee annoying, because most of what it covered should have been considered standard amenities, but resort fees seem to be pretty typical nowadays.

wtm003 Nov 14th, 2006 08:09 AM

We stayed at Kiahuna Plantation which is right next to the Sheraton. I never saw individual rooms and it is in no way comparable to the beautiful grounds of the Hyatt, but I would have no problem staying there. If you are happy with being on a great beach, rather than at a destination type of resort, you should be happy with the Sheraton. I'm sure you will love Kauai!

droolpatrol Nov 14th, 2006 08:10 AM

We stayed there in 2000. We were lucky enough to get a garden view room on the beach side of the complex, so we didn't get the 70's style room that others have complained about. If you want a renovated room, ask for one.

The Hyatt looks really cool, but will probably be crawling with kids due to because their of their pool and kids club. The Sheraton is also on a much better beach. We had friendly service, nice food and drinks, and a clean modern room. I personally think the south side of Kauai is more laid back than the north side. Plus it's sunnier. Have a great time. Kauai will stay with you forever.