Shelling Tours within 2hrs of Orlando

Old Aug 27th, 2020, 07:37 AM
TxC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shelling Tours within 2hrs of Orlando

Any recommendations for Shelling tours within a 2hr drive of Orlando? something family friendly, have 2 kids 9 & 13. Thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 08:05 AM

Well, someone local may chime in within that 2 hours drive, but years back we've been shelling in Coco Beach and anywhere from Clearwater to St. Pete, and nothing come close to the size of the shell that could be found at the Lovers Key south of Forth Myers Beach.
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 08:13 AM
TxC
Original Poster

How far is ft Myers from Orlando? I did see a couple of shelling tours but one only gave you 1hr to snorkel the area and you spent 2hrs on the boat (Listed a 3hr tour on their site) , the 2nd was a 4hr but it did not specify how much time was given to actually snorkel for shells, i did email them but haven't received a response yet. Did you book a tour or did you just go on your own? If you booked a tour, do you mind sharing who you used? Thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 08:44 AM
J62

Shelling is a hit or miss endeavor... and not one that needs a tour.

I recommend you decide on a family friendly Gulf beach that is also known to have shelling opportunities, make it a day trip and test your luck as you walk along the beach exploring.

If you make shelling the focus you're likely to be disappointed.
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 09:21 AM

Lover's Key is just under 200 miles from Orlando, it's a very quiet beach.My kids always called it our "private" beach. Many boat trips from Fort Myers Beach takes you there, but you can drive there yourself. FMB is one of our favorite vacation spots. Love the sunsets there.

Old Aug 27th, 2020, 11:59 AM

I live on Treasure Island, which is about 2 hours drive from Orlando. Maybe a little less with good traffic. I agree that a tour is not necessary. We have wonderful shelling at the southernmost end of Treasure Island, a little neighborhood called Sunset Beach. I would drive over, and park on a residential street or public parking lot. Wear your swimsuits under your clothes. You can wander along the (usually) very calm beach, swim and scour the beach for shells. We have a great collection. You may also see manatees and dolphins, as we do regularly. The MOST important thing is the tide, check the tides for "Johns Pass" and try to arrive or be there during a low tide, and a full moon helps even more. You can also have a drink and a free lounge chair at Caddy's Restaurant, a tourist trap but they do make their own smoked corned beef and they offer free chairs and umbrellas on the sand. Midweek would be best, since it does get crowded on the weekends. Just put Caddy's Treasure Island on your GPS (there are several caddy's so get the right one). Enjoy!

P.S. There are a couple of tourist tours by boat to "Shell Cay" and "Egmont Key" in the area, they say they have snorkeling and shelling, but it is mostly a fun boat ride, with Egmont being quite a bit farther from the mainland, and beautiful. Egmont also has a fort to explore, but can be super hot in the summertime.