Relocating to Baton Rouge and need help

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:50 PM
Renee

Relocating to Baton Rouge and need help

Can anyone help me? I'm relocating to Baton Rouge, LA and I need to know a little "personal" information about the city. Anyone have and experiences there or advice? Also, I need to know someone's thoughts about the areas surrounding LSU and Southern Universities in Baton Rouge. And, if anyone happens to be a registered nurse in that area, I would love to contact you via email for some other career related questions.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 07:07 AM
RN

BR is a sprawling city with some very nice areas and some awful areas. The traffic is horrendous and air quality poor due to all the refineries lining the Mississippi river. The restaurant scene has improved greatly in the past few years as has shopping. There is a huge new mall as well as many indivually owned interesting shops. The problem with the small shops is that they are spread out in several different areas of town.

There are some gorgeous areas around LSU and a few older areas that have declined and are mainly used as rentals for LSU students. I think there are plenty of apartments-rent is high for La., but probably lower than in most large metropolitan areas.

It has been a few years since I lived there, but I still go about once a month. The new sprawl is to the south and is draining older, established areas and the downtown.

I hope your car is in good shape!

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the last post in 2002 the city has grown a lot. Hurricane Katrina in 2005 made the city grow very fast and so since 2002 the suburbs around Baton Rouge like Prairieville and Gonzales have really grown.

Baton Rouge traffic has improved a lot with the additional lanes added to the interstate. There

LSU has really grown and now has a South Campus. There are many new residential properties to the north and south side of it's main campus. Both LSU and Downtown have really been growing lately and so the older areas are being turned around. College Row Near LSU is a great addition to the area where you can find many restaurants and shopping. There are a lot of options for anyone living near LSU. Between downtown and LSU the Nicholson Corridor is really exploding with a lot of new places. There are many luxury condos in the Nicholson Corridor that are really nice.

A good area also to live near LSU is the Garden District. It was ranked recently as one of the best neighborhoods to live in America by the American Planning Association. It is really beautiful with amazing oak lined trees and beautiful homes.

LSU has a lot more living options than Southern. Southern students find themselves living in other areas around the city rather than near the school.

The BatonRouger has helpful moving information on neighborhoods, shopping, etc. For more detailed city and neighborhood information visit www.BatonRouger.com
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 04:42 PM

Why answer an 11 year old question?
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 05:26 PM

Daniel, who are you? Why would you register just to pull up an ANCIENT thread?

There is no website for BatonRouger.com