Reload this Page >

Shasta National Forest/lassen National Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2001, 05:33 PM
Tina

Will be traveling with a 7-year old in July. Planning to spend two days doing the loop from Red Bluff around Mt. McCloud and down to Lassen Volcanic National Park. Any advice on things to see/do, places to stay near Lassen?

Old May 28th, 2001, 06:54 AM
gail

Lake Shastina is a great place to cool off in the small lake. It is a campground, but I beleive you can do day use. Isf it is 4th of July, check the golf course at Lake Shasta as they put on a fun fireworks event over the lake. We really enjoyed the Blue Goose train ride out of Mt. Shast. it will be pretty hot in July though so I would bring bottled water. they have a stop midway in an old town. You can grab lunch or an ice cream there. They also have a dinner train. I am usually disappointed with the value of the dinner trains though. If you stop in Dunsmuir there is a huge city pool. This is right off the freeway and a nice break.Your destination is a low key area as far as excitement.I would contact the chamber of commerce in all your cities as there are lots of festivals happening this time of year. They are pretty fun for children.

Old May 29th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Joan

Tina:
We found Lassen to be especially interesting; a 7-year old will not.
Mt. Shasta beautiful, but unless you can hike to the summit, not especially fun.
We did these things as retirees, after children were gone.
Better to stay at the beach, I guess.
Good luck.
Joan

Old May 29th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Alli

We did the Mt Shasta and Lassen Park last July with our 1 year old daughter. Of coarse she did not enjoy as we did.

Mt Shasta was ok. I mean the views and vistas were fab, but I thought you drove to the top. You don't. There is an area where all traffic stops and you must hike the rest of the way...I mean a long way. But like I said the views are superb.

Lassen was cool. Wouln't not miss. Most different than any other Nat Park. Not crowded at all. At the front gate, spend the few exta dollars and purchase the self guide book for the tour. You set your odometer to "0" then follow the guide book. Lots of intersting details and facts about each point/stop. There are volcanos. Lots of boulder formations that are millions of years old. Neat history. One cool thing which your 7 year old may enjoy, there was snow on the ground. We were there late July and snow was remaining.

The Shasta dam might bee cool too. we certainly enjoyed our tour there.

Have fun!

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:19 AM
Laura

Some suggestions:
In Redding, north of Red Bluff, for kids there are the Shasta Caverns & Shasta Dam. The caverns are neat and are reached by taking an open shuttle boat. Redding also has Caldwell Park & the Carter House Science Museum, small but has hands-on exhibits for kids and live small animals & birds. Turtle Bay Museum with great exhibits for kids and Sacramento Trail walk. Paul Bunyan's Forest Camp. And a water slide park.
Lassen Volcanic National Park is spectacular. Everchanging as you drive through the park. Can get out of car for short or long hikes. Cold lakes and beautiful meadows along roadside for cooling off. Yes, there's usually snow to play in, too. And bubbling sulfur pits to see. Take the very beautiful one mile walk around Manzanita Lake. Usually will see deer and trout.
Continue on Highway 89 - there are a few lodges with cabins along rushing Hat Creek to stay.
Visit Subway Caves - underground cave formed by flowing lava. Self-guided. Need flashlights. Stop at Lassen National Forest - Hat Creek Visitor Center for info & directions.
Burney - near McArthur-Burney Falls State Park - has public swimming pool, motels & restaurants (McD's, Chinese, German, Mexican etc.) & air-conditioned movie theater with weekend matinees & old-fashioned ticket prices. Be sure to get gasoline before heading to McCloud & Mt. Shasta.
Definitely don't miss Burney Falls - a really beautiful, 129-foot-tall falls. Easy walk to the base and a self-guided walk around the falls to the top. Also has Lake Brittan with beach and swimmingand paddle boat rentals. A few nature exhbits in park and ice cream. It's also a pretty, wooded campground with helpful rangers. Movies & commercials have been filmed there.
Hwy. 89 continues past Burney Falls to McCloud and Mt. Shasta. First sight of snow-covered Mt. Shasta on 89 is incredible. McCloud has its own waterfalls - three of them. You'll need to get directions, a wonderful old-fashioned candy store, old and restored hotels & B&Bs.
Good places to stay & eat in Mt. Shasta, too. Plus the Shasta Sunset Dinner Train, elegant dinner on elegantly restored 1800s train that travels between Mt. Shasta & McCloud. Stop at Mt. Shasta Ski Park - between McCloud & town of Mt. Shasta. It's open in summer & kids can ride the chair lift. Often have weekend entertainment, downhill bike races.
As mentioned, Dunsmuir, nearby has a pool and is an interesting small town to see too. Brown Trout Gallery has a creek running under it that you can see. And Maddelena's restaurant.
Burney & Mt. Shasta have old-fashioned parades & fireworks on the 4th and there is usually a county fair going on somewhere in the north state. Do a search on these towns for more info.