Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   sharing meals in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sharing-meals-in-nyc-312287/)

pdf Apr 30th, 2003 09:06 AM

sharing meals in NYC

My daughter and I will be visiting NYC this summer. I am a very light eater and she has had a gastric bypass, so she eats very small portions. Will it be a problem to share a meal at restaurants, or will we be committing a huge faux pas? By the way, we are "casual restaurant" users, nothing fancy . . .

Rachel Apr 30th, 2003 09:21 AM

You will find that some restaurants will charge a sharing fee, others will not. As a former waitress, it always helps to explain any special needs, and tip as if you ordered two real meals.

AC Apr 30th, 2003 09:25 AM

Hi;
Another option is to order a couple of appetizers. No too much food and no problem sharing!

kzahn10455 Apr 30th, 2003 09:35 AM

There are several restaurants in NYC that are "family style" which are designed for sharing (mostly Italian) and usually quite reasonable.

nk572 Apr 30th, 2003 10:47 AM

Carmine's is a great place for sharing. The meals are served family style so you can order one dish and share. Very Large portions. There are 2 locations - one around 91st & Broadway (?) and the other is in the theatre district. Make sure to call well in advance for reservations. we eat there on almost every trip to nyc and have never been disappointed.
they have a website:http://www.carminesnyc.com

kzahn10455 Apr 30th, 2003 11:23 AM

Forget Carmine's please! Too noisy, too crowded, too touristy and way too much garlic!!

lisettemac Apr 30th, 2003 11:24 AM

Carmine's doesn't take reservations for only 2 and the portions there are so large that I'm not sure it would fit the bill for light eaters like PDF and her daughter.

Rachel is right that some restaurants charge a sharing fee and some don't. I find that the nicer restaurants don't (and will oftentimes even split items).

Most Chinese restaurants expect you to share. There are also lots of those huge buffet/salad bar places in NYC if you're interested in a very casual lunch -- then you can get as much as you like. Sushi is also an option where you can order smaller meals.

Most menus will tell you if there is a sharing charge. Good luck and have a great trip!

suzanne Apr 30th, 2003 12:09 PM

I've never had a problem sharing a meal and never had to pay extra. Though I typically sit at the bar with my friend when we share (don't know if that makes any difference...but it seems like you're not expected to eat as much when sitting at the bar). Asian restaurants tend to serve family-style...you're expected to share one or more entrees.

AC's suggestion of ordering two appetizers is an excellent idea. Appetizers, in general, tend to be better (and smaller, of course) than entrees.

Patrick Apr 30th, 2003 02:22 PM

Hey, I've never even been to Carmines, but I think you have it all wrong, kzahn. People go there for the noise and commotion. And there is no such thing as "too much garlic!"

pdf Apr 30th, 2003 04:42 PM

Just wanted to thank you all for the responses . . . I gotta say, I really appreciate this site! Since I began planning this trip, this has been the best source of information. I really love visiting NYC and value the fact that you take time to share your insights!

Owen_ONeill Apr 30th, 2003 05:43 PM

I eat in NYC regularly and gravitate towards moderate to inexpensive places, often (usually) ethnic dining. My GF will often just get a salad or soup and I'll have an entree or vice versa or sometimes we just get some appetizers to share. Have never had a problem doing this but in the rare event that a place fo this sort had a sharing charge it would be minimal. Lots of good choices on 9th Ave. Some of my faves include Queen of Sheba (Ethiopian), Pam's Real Thai, Bali Nusar Indah (Indonesian) and Afghan Kebab House.