SFO: Which of these hotels would you choose?

Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

SFO: Which of these hotels would you choose?

We returned less than a week ago from a 3 1/2 week trip to Thailand so we are on a bit of a budget for our SFO trip for my birthday next month.

We have both been to SFO many times and stayed in a lot of different places but this time we are shooting for about $100 a night.

We prefer boutique hotels in cool neighborhoods to big basic business hotels.

We will fly into Sacramento and stay with Peter's parents Thursday night. We will be able to borrow one of their cars for the weekend if we stay in a motor inn or we may take the train in. It depends on where we will stay.

After so many trips we aren't particularly interested in the Wharf area. We really like North Beach but decided it is time to branch out and stay in a different neighborhood.

After doing a lot of research, including reading an article about the 10 top places to stay in SFO, this is what we have narrowed it down to:

Top Pick: Carlton Hotel at www.carltonhotel.com

2nd: Nob Hill Motor Inn

3rd: Columbus Motor Inn at www.columbusmotorinn.com

4th: Buena Vista Motor Lodge

Elements at www.elementssf.com

I have read the reviews at tripadvisor and other places but would love to hear of your first hand experience if you have stayed at any of these places.

Cheers!

Tamara
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:32 AM

You can go to Tripadvisor.com and look at these three hotels and see how they were rated.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:21 AM

Oh, I thought you wanted information about staying near the SF Airport. I see you are flying into Sacto and visiting the city of San Francisco. Sorry I haven't stayed at any of those. I have stayed at many hotels near the airport though, SFO.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:33 AM

>>Oh, I thought you wanted information about staying near the SF Airport.<<

That's what I thought too - I live near the airport, so I thought I could advise.

eurotraveller, people here don't call San Francisco, SFO. If you drive from Sacramento and ask someone for directions to SFO, they will send you to the airport. We call it either San Francisco, or The City.

Stu Dudley
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:06 AM

also avoid Frisco and SanFran...bad terms
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM

I have stayed at the Buena Vista many times. It's on Gough and Lombard. I used to go down to the City every year with a friend and we always stayed there. Having said that, life changes, and I haven't been down there for about four years now. We liked it for location, free parking, the staff were very nice and helpful, the rooms very clean and comfortable, and there was kind of a "european" feel to the place, also the price was right. It is in a safe area, quite a few restaurants in both directions, a great breakfast place a few blocks up the street toward Van Ness..it's on the other side of the street from the Buena Vista. Can't remember the name but it's easy to find. I sometimes hesitate to recommend any place because like I say, it's been about four years since I stayed there and sometimes places change, so if you elect to stay at the Buena Vista, I hope they have kept their standards up.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:29 AM

My family and I have stayed at the Columbus Motor Inn twice. It is a clean older motor inn. It offers free parking which is a plus. (We live near Sacramento and always drive to The City.) We were able to walk a few blocks to a trendy area that had many resturants and some cute shops. I would not hesitate to stay there again. Hope this helps.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Please excuse me for my obvious faux pas!! I picked up the habit of calling a city by its city code during years working for an airline.

Here in Portland, most of us relate and understand that when someone says they are looking for a place to stay in "PDX" they are not talking about staying in or near the airport.

I hope that when you continued to read my post it was clear that I wasn't wanting to stay at the airport?

Thanks!
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:27 PM

I wouldn't choose Elements. It is more of a "backpackers" hostel in the Mission district. Said to be noisy, as there is a bar on the top floor.

The Columbus Motor Inn is near Fisherman's Wharf, gets a three diamond rating from AAA and has free parking. Then you can leave the car and take public transportation wherever you want to go. (This isn't AT the Wharf, just NEAR it, and near North Beach.)

The Carlton is in a blah neighborhood, as I remember, out Geary or somewhere. We drive by it all the time, and I am very unimpressed.

For $100 I would take the Columbus, FWIS.