Reload this Page >

SFO to Fisherman's Wharf Transfer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 11:33 AM
Ian

Can anyone please help a first-timer British couple with luggage who want the most cost-effective way to reach the Tuscan Inn, Fisherman's Wharf area from the airport?
We know there are taxis (expensive because of the distance) and shuttle buses to certain hotels and areas but are unclear which if any go to our destination !

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 12:17 PM
Jennifer

Hi Ian,

One option you might want to think about is taking a shuttle van from the airport. Quite a few people in the Bay Area take them to and from the airport. If you're flying in on an international flight, ask the info desk in baggage claim where the door-to-door shuttle vans pick up. There relatively inexpensive for the trip and will drop you and your luggage off at the hotel. However, you may have to wait for a few other passengers to be dropped off before you around San Francisco. It's been a few years since i've lived in the city, so I don't know how much it would cost now. I think some of the services have online websites that might be able to calculate prices. I've used Supershuttle and M&M. Good luck and have a great time!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 12:24 PM
Jennifer

Oooops! I just reread my post and realized it's little confusing. Sorry for being such a dope. The van shuttles pick up several individuals who are going to the same general area in SF and will drop each of you off at your specific destination.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 12:25 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I agree with Jennifer. I've used the Super Shuttle and found it to be cost-effective. It is a bit of a drive to the wharf and traffic varies, so the assurance of a flat fee upfront is worth something. I'm guessing the shuttle up to the wharf area would run $22-26 for BOTH people (not per person). Anyone have a better fix on that for Ian?

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 12:28 PM
Jim Rosenberg

...Oh, but Jennifer? I don't agree with the part about you being a dope.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 02:25 PM
Lisa

I've used the Super Shuttle in several cities (but not SF), and I've found it to be cheaper than a cab if I'm traveling by myself, but MORE expensive if there are 2 or more of us.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 02:55 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I agree that in a situation like Washington DCA to a hotel in DC, for example, but it seemed to me in SF that the distance/cost/traffic situation was a bit different up to the wharf from SFO. Regardless, you make a very valid point.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 03:29 PM
Gail

Super Shuttle fares in SF are $14.50 for the first person and $8 for each additional person. $22.50 plus tip. Figure $25-$26 just as Jim estimated.This will still be cheaper than a cab to the wharf and the Wharf is a major destination so there shouldn't be much running around.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 11:51 PM
Jan

We used one of the van shuttles to get from SFO to the Tuscan Inn in Sept.1999 I think it cost about 24$ for both of us. Plus no confusion as to which van to use as the names of the hotels it serviced were on the side of the van.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Jay

I've taken Super Shuttle from SFO to the Marina area and I found it inexpensive though time-consuming while four other passengers were dropped off. At $14 for one person, it was comparable to most of the shuttle service rates. They're probably your best bet .
I've also taken one of the smaller shuttle companies and had a terrible time. The driver had no clue where he was going, tried to read a map in the middle of heavy traffic, and nearly struck a pedestrian. I'd stick with the more reliable Super Shuttle.
One hint for shuttle pick-up to the airport: nearly all of my friends suggested leaving much earlier for the airport than the shuttle company suggests. Several friends who didn't nearly missed their flights when shuttles were up to an hour late picking them up.