Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SFO 11 hr layover (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sfo-11-hr-layover-246973/)

DanB Aug 7th, 2002 12:23 PM

SFO 11 hr layover

I'm taking my girlfriend to Kauai in September and we have a 12hr layover in SFO, arriving 10pm Tuesday and departing 9am Wednesday.<BR><BR>She's only flown once in her life, and she doesn't travel much. I was going to just get a hotel and crash for the night, but she's expressed an interest in trying to see a little bit of San Fran during the layover. <BR><BR>I was thinking of a 2-3 hour limo tour of the city and I've contacted a couple limo companies and they do offer these and can do it on short notice.<BR><BR>I'd want to at least take her to the Golden Gate Bridge, maybe walk down Fisherman's Wharf. I'd also like to treat her to a good Chinese dinner or at least a world-class dungeness crab dinner.<BR><BR>Any suggestions as to what would be good/open in/around San Fran or Burlingame (SFO) that would fit these plans? I guess we can catch up on our sleep during the flight from SFO to Kauai.

kkj Aug 7th, 2002 12:27 PM

This may make me seem a little older than I am, but you probably won't get out of the airport until 11pm or so. I don't know how much is going to be open while you are out and about. Will restaurants in Chinatown still be open? I know some places in town are open, but personally I think your idea is much better.

DanB Aug 7th, 2002 12:37 PM

Hey, I'm right with you, I'm 41, she's 32.<BR><BR>Actually, the flight arrives 9:10pm SFO time. I think it has a pretty good on-time history, but we all know that it's "only the flight your on" that gets delayed :-)

men Aug 7th, 2002 12:49 PM

Maybe you should consider dating women closer to your own age. She sounds like a sheltered girl who hasn't experienced much. Doesn't that bore you when you could be dating women that share a similar outlook with you and have been on a plane before?<BR><BR>I think most places are going to be closed other than a few underground clubs. How is she going to see the Golden Gate bridge in the dark?

travellyn Aug 7th, 2002 12:57 PM

I would take the hotel option, too. Even though I'm an adventurous type overall, I'd want to make sure I arrived in Kauai well-rested and ready to make the most of my time there. Then I'd plan to go to San Francisco for a long weekend some other time.

Merilee Aug 7th, 2002 01:02 PM

DanB, try calling Alioto's Restaurant or the Crab House Restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf. They are open until 11:00PM and maybe if you arrived by 10:30PM they would serve you. It's worth a shot if you want your girlfriend to see some parts of the city.

David Aug 7th, 2002 01:04 PM

DanB,<BR><BR>Your idea about just getting a room at one of the nearby airport hotels is the best. You really cannot see anything at night anyhow. Most everything is closed except for a few places like Denny's.

Dr. Doolittle Aug 7th, 2002 03:51 PM

to men ([email protected]): maybe dan WANTS his girlfriend to be younger and more sheltered. That's how insecure guys retain control over another person, ya know.

Extraneous Aug 7th, 2002 03:53 PM

If you are departing at 9 am, you'll need to get to the airport ca. 7 am, which leaves you pretty short of sleep if you don't get back from downtown SF until after midnight. I'd choose EITHER a drive-around w/car and driver OR dinner, not both. Fog comes in in the evening anyway.<BR><BR>[Aside to men@men and hanky@panky, whom I assume to be the same sophomoric child -- you don't add a thing to these posts with your Hugh-Hefner-wannabe nonsense. Shoo shoo go away, go buy your 3-ring folder for school.]

J Correa Aug 7th, 2002 04:01 PM

I agree with the hotel idea. If the lay over was during the day time, I'd say hire a car and see the sites, but at night you wont see much and any place you want to go will probably be closed. By just going to the hotel, you will have plenty of time to shower, relax, and sleep so you will be fresh for traveling the next day.

its a vacation! Aug 7th, 2002 05:55 PM

What a bunch of deadbeats! It's a 5 hour flight from SFO to Hawaii.... sleep on the plane! The limo is a great idea. Otherwise, rent a car and head out on your own. Lots of things will be open in the city.

a Aug 7th, 2002 06:16 PM

I am not sure how long you will be have been on the plane when you arrive in San Francisco. This may be something to consider. If you are flying from the East Coast and she has only flown once before (how many years prior was this?), she may be surprised to realize how tiring the experience can be. <BR>

Ben There Aug 7th, 2002 07:15 PM

Give it up, Dan - SF is pretty sleepy at that hour. Truth be told, it's more of a small town culture than big city go-all-night pace unless you are into certain niche scenes. SFO is a good half hour (or more) at that time of day from anything worth seeing, and if the fog is in you won't be able to see much anyway. <BR>

Bill Aug 7th, 2002 07:29 PM

What's with the generational nay-sayers? My partner is ten years older than I am and we've been together for over 7 years.<BR><BR>It's wonderful to be introduced to new things in the world by one who has seen and done. And (I hear) it's nice to see the world through a fresher pair of eyes.<BR><BR>Ring, ring. It's a clue for you.<BR><BR>That said, DanB - get thee to Zagat.com<BR><BR>You can sort restaurant's by "Open Late" and there are plenty to choose from (Absinthe, Zuni, etc.).<BR><BR>There's also a new Zagat's guide to nightlife in SF, though I haven't read it.

Steve Aug 8th, 2002 03:02 AM

32 is close to the upper limit; there's only a few good years left on the old girl. Almost time to trade her in for a new model.

Susan Aug 8th, 2002 09:19 AM

You could take a cab directly to the Brazen Head in Cow Hollow in SF. They are open for late night dining and it's in a fun neighborhood with bars and clubs that will be open until 2am. You can then walk down to the Marina Green and on a clear night you'll be able to see the Golden Gate lit up. Get a room somewhere in Cow Hollow, the Marina or Fisherman's Wharf, and catch a cab outa town at 6am back to the airport.<BR><BR>The Brazen Head is an old style martini and steak kinda place. One story I've heard is that Mick Jagger and friends were trying to find a place for dinner late one evening. The Slanted Door, the current hot spot of the day, turned them away, and they all ended up at the Brazen Head for late-late dinner and drinks. <BR><BR>I think it's doable. Take a nap on the plane ride into SF, and plan to sleep most of that flight to Hawaii. Plus, you can sleep from 2am until 6am in the hotel! Have fun!

StaySea Aug 8th, 2002 10:07 AM

I recommend a drive up to Twin Peaks to see the city lit up at night.

sean Aug 8th, 2002 10:25 AM

DanB,<BR><BR>Susan Spike's suggestion is cutting it way too close. It could take you more than 1 hour to get to the San Francisco Airport due to the weekday morning commute traffic on either 101 or via 280 to 380 to 101. I wouild not risk missing your flight to Hawaii. Better of staying in a hotel near the airport. Also, sleeping on an airplane is next to impossible. I have tried it many times before.

Don Aug 8th, 2002 10:39 AM

DanB you have to take your lady on a limo tour of SF after you land. Don't miss out on an opportunity to share something special with her. The chance may never come again. Thanks to modern electricity plants you can see this wonderful town when the sun goes down. You can doze off or sleep on the flight to Hawaii. And if not, you can get some sleep that night. That said, give some of the Fisherman Wharf restaurants that are open later (someone here mentioned some) and see if they'll serve you right before closing. You never know until you ask.

Tristan Aug 8th, 2002 11:47 AM

Don't pay attention to all the negative posts. Just go for it. You won't regret it.