SF trip report - condensed version

May 5th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

SF trip report - condensed version

4/26 - 4/30 - Stay at Cow Hollow Motor Inn as suggested by someone here. Great choice. While not in the center of things, a bus stop is 1/2 block away. Nice room, good price and great restaurants around the corner. Will stay here again. We, also, ate at the Stinking Rose. Won't be back. Food was just OK and service was pushing people to "chew and screw". Lou's for lunch on Fisherman's Wharf. Sandwiches were very good, but they don't know how to make clam chowder. Parma Restaurant near hotel was outstanding and affordable. A well kept secret. Learned that driving in the city is a lot easier than most people here say. Only once did I pay to park and that was $7 for all day. All other times found free on street parking. Botanical Garden and Japanese Tea Garden were superb. Went to Palace of Fine Arts and Exporatorium. No art here (maybe at one time). Exploratorium, aka Science Museum, is very nice and if you have kids becomes terrific. Alcatraz tour turned out to be better than I had expected. Very informative. However, don't buy tickets on line. Cost on line was $32.50 per person, at the window was $24.50. Best sunset pix were taken on dock below Maritime museum. Pier 39 is tacky and overpriced but a "must do" if you come here. SF is truly a magical, beautiful city. Get away from tourist sections and it's even better.
May 5th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Thanks for posting. We'll be staying at the Cow Hollow Motor Inn 5/28-6/1 and I'm happy to hear you liked it. We'll look for the Parma.

Search this Thread