Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SF to Seattle drive (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sf-to-seattle-drive-715779/)

rhettski Jun 25th, 2007 04:25 AM

SF to Seattle drive

leaving sf at noon dec.31. Is ferndale/eureka as a first night possible in 4\5 hours driving ? Iwould like to book that night as 2008 arrives that night and it could be busy ! With local knowledge is Astoria to Seattle via. Bremerton ferry[ if its sailing then] possible in half a day ie. rent a car due Seattle at noon ? could somebody help with suggestions to assist with planning this 4 day drive..thank you..Rhettski and son.

NWWanderer Jun 25th, 2007 07:34 AM

Re the Astoria/Seattle portion, it takes about 4 hours to drive from Astoria to Seattle (I go via 101 to 12/8 to I-5), so if you get an early start, then yes you could be in Seattle by noon. Trying to take the ferry would add at least an hour though, probably more, and is not necessary.

Gardyloo Jun 25th, 2007 07:36 AM

1. SF to Eureka/Ferndale in 4-5 hours? - Technically yes, but will depend on traffic on 101 esp. through Santa Rosa etc. 5-6 hours should be no problem regardless.

2. Astoria - Seattle via Bremerton ferry in half a day? I rather doubt it; obviously if you leave early enough you can make it, but it's probably a good 3 1/2 hours, maybe 4, from Astoria to Bremerton, then the ferry takes an hour, but doesn't sail as frequently as Bainbridge, so waiting for the boat may suck up to an additional hour. Total 5+.

janisj Jun 25th, 2007 08:54 AM

5 or 6 hours is about right to ferndale. But there are a couple of major "if's" -- the holiday traffic, and WEATHER. If it is stormy the drive will be really, really long . . . . . . . .

You are biting off quite a drive SF/Seattle if a winter storm hits the west coast

GP Jun 25th, 2007 10:21 AM

Hi rhettski

I have made the drive SFO to Eureka on 12-31 a couple of times and know a few others that have done it. It gets DARK around 5pm at that time of year. six hours+ if it is raining. Traffic is not a problem weather is. It is about 50-50 that 101 is open. My suggestion is if your going to Seattle go 5

Have Fun
GP

Supercilious Jun 25th, 2007 11:57 AM

"It is about 50-50 that 101 is open. My suggestion is if your going to Seattle go 5."

Where exactly would you think 101 would be closed? 101 is a sea level route and is not usually closed due to rain.

I-5 on the other hand can be closed near Ashland due to winter snows or have chains required. If the weather is nice it is the fasted route but not as interesting as 101.

GP Jun 25th, 2007 01:23 PM

Hi Supercilious

I do not want to hijack this thread but….
The problem is landslides lots of them. The area know as confusion hill is the biggest problem, there are others most of them with in 6 or 7 miles of confusion hill.

This is off the official “Cal Trans” site
There has been a recurring problem of landslides and slipouts around Confusion Hill on US-101 in northern Mendocino County over the last decade. A large, ancient rock slide complex extends from the South Fork of the Eel River to more than 1,000 feet above, enveloping the current highway, 140 feet above the river. This slide activity has caused numerous road closures and delays associated with one-way traffic control situations. Geotechnical studies of the site have concluded that the ancient slide is progressively losing strength with a high probability that the slides within the complex will continue to move in the future.

(As an aside the bypass will be done next year. Cal Trans is moving 101 across the river; one of the bridges is higher from river to road bed than the golden gate bridge bay to road bed)

Also the time frame rhettski posted about. The end of December is consistently our worst weather. A couple of years ago on 12-31 a wind storms blew down numerous trees and 101 was closed in several places. 101 is not as close to sea level as you might think off hand it gets up to at least 1400 feet and at least to me has a feel of a mountain road . The section just north of Willits gets closed, usually over night, from snow every 2 or 3 years. In Del Norte flooding just north of Klamath is a consistent problem landslides on 199 are also problematic.

In the last 35 years I have averaged 4 or 5 round trips to the bay area from Humboldt county. I usually think before I post and I usually know what I am talking about.

Have Fun
GP

janisj Jun 25th, 2007 02:06 PM

GP is right about the weather/road closures possible via 101. But unfortunately - if there is that big a storm - I-5 would be as bad or worse. The hwy through Siskiyou county and into southern Oregon will be piled w/ snow if there is a bad storm on the coast.

But -- the weather could just as easily be great and you won't know which is which until a few days before your trip . . . . .

Supercilious Jun 25th, 2007 04:54 PM

Yes, there are slides on 101 during storms but they are quickly cleared by CalTrans. To say that there is a 50-50 chance the highway will be closed is absurd. It's the main artery of the Redwood Empire.

A few years back, we would go to Arcata from the Bay Area every other weekend from late Novemeber through March and never encountered any problems.