SF to LA - Adult with 3 teens

Old Mar 31st, 2017, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF to LA - Adult with 3 teens

Hi, I considering a trip where I fly into SF and fly out of LA in April for 8 days. I am the only driver ;-/. I want to see the main attractions like Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, etc. in SF and then head south towards LA stopping someplace in between to take in more sights and activities...possibly the Big Sur or something else. I am unfamiliar with California, but up for the road trip. I'm done 4-5 hour roads trips in the East Coast and even one from NYC to the Outerbanks -- much longer, so I am good being on the road. Can I get some ideas on what an itinerary might look like given those amount of days and considering I have 3 teens in tow (13, 16, 16) who like beach, fishing, adventure and eating. I am also considering just staying in SF and working Yosemite into the trip.

Thanks!

p.s. A big highlight is to catch a Golden State Game while in SF.
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 05:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
When is your trip? Do you mean THIS April, or next year? If this year, the NBA season ends in less than 2 weeks and the playoffs start after that. A GS game will be difficult (and expensive)

Also -- you cannot drive all the way down the coast. The highway through Big Sur is closed and won't re-open this year. YOu can drive into northern Big Sur but then would have to back track up to catch 101 south.

It would be a terrific time to visit Yosemite Valley because the Waterfalls will be gushing. But you'd need to contact them immediately to see if you can get a last minute cancellation. If not, try for Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal.

San Francisco, Monterey/Carmel/Point Lobos/a bit of Big Sur, and Yosemite would seriously fill 8 days.

By 'beach' do you mean sun bathing and swimming? Or mostly ocean/sand/scenery. If the former -- not so much. The latter - in spades! The Pacific is VERY cold and is much too cold to swim in April.
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 05:17 PM

Here are some ideas of things to do in the San Francisco area - as alternatives to Fisherman's Wharf.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...mendations.cfm

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 12:14 PM

THIS April? 8 days is not a lot of time. You could maybe do 3 nights San Francisco and 3 nights LA with two overnight stops on Highway 1 but as stated the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge is out and will not be fixed until maybe this fall or more likely next year. You would have to backtrack from Monterey over to Highway 101 to drive south.
Given the short amount of time, pick either NorCal or SoCal but the Pacific will be too cold to swim in without wetsuits.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 12:25 PM

Be sure and get your tickets for Alcatraz a head of time (can do online). They sell out fast.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 12:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The Amtrak bus to Oakland to catch the Coast Starlight leaves Fisherman's Wharf at 7:20AM. It's about an hour on the bus to Oakland Jack London station.
The Coast Starlight train arrives in Santa Barbara about 6PM. Spend a night in Santa Barbara before taking a Pacific Surfliner train into Los Angeles.
Car rentals are available at Los Angeles Union Station.
The best views of the Pacific are from the train south of Santa Barbara.
With a valid student ID, your students get a 15% discount off the regular Amtrak adult fare.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 12:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
tom: How does Amtrak do anything for the OP since he posted >>I am unfamiliar with California, but up for the road trip.want to drive . . .
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 01:20 AM

Tom thinks folks should take Amtrak to Hawaii
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 06:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Going to Hawaii next year (my 50th state). I may take a ship instead of a plane.
There's only so much of the California coast that I can take in before I want to go back to Oregon.
The best coast view from an Amtrak train is between Santa Barbara and Ventura where there are no roads between the tracks and the ocean.