Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SF Restaurant - Waterbar and Epic Roasthouse (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sf-restaurant-waterbar-and-epic-roasthouse-935877/)

cwojo99 May 20th, 2012 02:41 PM

SF Restaurant - Waterbar and Epic Roasthouse

I will be in SF this week starting vacation! We are staying in the downtown area.

Anyone have any feedback on the following restaurants? Waterbar and Epic Roasthouse?

Looking for a couple of nice dinners to start our vacation right. Menus and pics on line looked great. Looks like nice views of the bay and bay bridge?

Thanks!

8-)

Shar May 20th, 2012 06:26 PM

views are nice at both places. Not cheap by any means but if that is not a problem, either would work...

sf7307 May 20th, 2012 06:31 PM

Views are spectacular, food is good, prices are high.

Rastaguytoday May 20th, 2012 08:23 PM

Both are nice places, that pretty much cater to tourists.

Overpriced for having decent food, but nothing to write home about. I think you pay for the view in the quality of the food.

You probably won't find locals at these places.

StuDudley May 21st, 2012 06:56 AM

>>You probably won't find locals at these places<<

Probably a higher % of locals there than at the Fisherman's Wharf restaurants, however (excluding Gary Danko). I've dined at Waterbar a few times - with SF residents on one occasion.

Stu Dudley

Rastaguytoday May 21st, 2012 01:02 PM

StuD - probably why I haven't been to Pier 39 since Dan White killed Moscone and Milk.

Lady DiFi was made mayor, and history changed for the Bay Area.

carrom May 21st, 2012 01:05 PM

We really enjoyed the Peruvian restaurant La Mar - also has a view but the food was spectacular.

anna_roz May 22nd, 2012 01:48 PM

Bix!! Wonderful place.

SAB May 22nd, 2012 02:53 PM

Most of the locals that I know i.e. SF residents, only go to the Waterbar now for happy hour oysters and drinks. Like many locals, I went for a meal and to check it out when it first opened but have never been back; there are too many places that serve better food. It is good for those who want a view, but since I live here I don't need dining with a view and would rather look at a brick wall if it meant better food at better prices.

SAB May 22nd, 2012 02:59 PM

Oops, meant to say "I don't need to pay high prices for dining with a view" BTW similar opinion of Epic.

StuDudley May 22nd, 2012 04:31 PM

We've never dined at Pier 39. The last time we dined at the true Wharf (not the Cannery or Ghirardelli Square) was probably in the early 60s with my parents on a trip up from LA.

We had dinner at La Mar about 3 weeks ago - quite nice.

Stu Dudley

sf7307 May 22nd, 2012 08:47 PM

LaMar is lovely. I've had very good meals there and a couple that were a little less great, but it's unusual food and a lovely setting.

There's dining at Pier 39? :-)