SF-Muir Woods-Napa - several Qs

Old Mar 14th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF-Muir Woods-Napa - several Qs

Our family (incl 2 tweens) will be visiting San Francisco in April, flying in and out of SFO. We planned to head to Monterey for a few days at the end of the visit for relaxing water and outdoor time, and wanted to spend time in Big Sur - it seems that is out now sadly due to the Pfeiffer bridge collapse, mud slides, most of Big Sur is closed and seems that even Monterey Bay has had "no water access" days due to storms. So we are revisiting our plan and thinking of perhaps going to Napa for a few days instead, and stopping at Muir Woods en route there or back in order to see the beautiful park and redwoods.

First, is Napa a worthwhile visit with tweens? They love to bike and be outdoors.

Also, if we do go to Napa, would you suggest stopping for the day at Muir Woods en route on our drive from downtown SF to Napa? Or would it be preferable to stop at Muir Woods on our drive back from Napa to SFO (we'll be in an airport hotel that last night)?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 01:42 PM

I think that Sonoma is more interesting historically speaking than the Napa valley. The town of Sonoma has a nice square with the last mission in California and a fort (probably heavily reconstructed). The house of General Vallejo just outside town is interesting. As is the Jack London State Historic Park just outside Glen Ellen.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Keep Monterey/ Carmel/Pacific Grove in your plans. No matter what time of year, the water is much too cold to spend any time in it. I think Napa would be a big snooze for tweens.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 01:51 PM

Well, the weather has turned gorgeous and I'm heading to Monterey this weekend to take advantage. I'd agree, keep that in your plans. You wouldn't have been swimming anyway! Exploring tide pools is always fun and there's a very "Instagram-able" beach in Carmel if your kids are into that kind of thing.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. We would love to still go to Monterey, but last I read, Big Sur is completely off limits, and Monterey Bay water quality was so bad (due to storms causing harmful bacteria growth) that no water activities were recommended, which I assumed include kayaking and tidepooling. No no hiking, no kayaking - seemed like our activities would be seriously limited.

So if Napa is a snooze, any other ideas for a visit for a few days, within a 3 hour drive of SF? Is the northern coast worth a visit with tweens? Or maybe that area, too, is experiencing damage due to weather, storms, mudslides, etc.?