Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SF MOMA for sure. What restaurant? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sf-moma-for-sure-what-restaurant-352085/)

gladtotravel Apr 29th, 2008 05:01 PM

SF MOMA for sure. What restaurant?

Hi, We are landing at SFO at noon on Sunday and must be back at the airport by 7:30 that night. We want to take BART to Civic Center(?) to see MOMA and then have dinner before heading back. We wouldn't mind eating between 4:30 and 5 since our body clocks will be on East Coast time. Any suggestions? We lived in SF for seven months but that was in 1978 and haven't been back since. Thanks for any ideas.

easytraveler Apr 29th, 2008 05:15 PM

Is there a special exhibit that you want to see at the MOMA? The SF one is not as great as the NY MOMA and you might otherwise be disappointed.

What kind of food? What price range?

gladtotravel Apr 29th, 2008 05:33 PM

Thanks for the warning I suspected as much from the website, but we both like architecture and art and wanted a place to aim at and stay awake for. There's nothing else that we particularly wanted to see. Will check it off our mental list.
As to restaurants, I think I'm nostalgically remembering a restaurant in Alameda with peanut shells on the floor, lots of wine, and crowded. Sure it's long gone; next to a restaurant that was a railway car. In other words, tolerable food, noisy, cheerful would suit us fine. Moderate prices. Appreciate any ideas.

SAB Apr 29th, 2008 05:46 PM

Take BART to Montgomery, not Civic Center if you go to SF MOMA. If MOMA is off list, maybe just head for the Embarcadero--which has changed considerably since 1978, take a walk to the ballpark and see all the changes. You won't recognize the area, assuming you were familiar with it in 78 (most residents were not). See if you can grab a bite at the bar at Slanted Door.

ncounty Apr 29th, 2008 06:42 PM

Agree with Slanted Door.

I used to enjoy Cafe Lulu's or just Lulu's near the Yerba Buena area. If it is still around, it was good when I went and I think it is near MOMA.

gladtotravel Apr 30th, 2008 09:08 AM

Thank you all for ideas. We will still go to MOMA (Montgomery BART station, thank you SAB) and because of times restaurants open, have made reservation at Lulu's. Looks like within walking distance and easy to get back to BART and airport. Looking for a hassle free afternoon.

easytraveler Apr 30th, 2008 12:21 PM

If you are going to the SF MOMA for their architecture, then I would suggest that you stop across Third Street (past the grassy area) and look at the Metreon Building for its architecture as well. It's an entertainment center and there are also a food court with higher end food inside on the first floor. There's a sushi bar to the side of the food court that has quite good sushi, but a bit expensive.

Enjoy!

Oh, one more thing. The Marriott on the corner of Fourth and Mission (across from the Metreon) has a wonderful picture window in the bar, believe it's called "The View" on the 39th floor. If you have the time, just drop by for a look.

hazel1 Apr 30th, 2008 12:39 PM

While I love Lulu's and think that's a fine idea, so long as they're serving that early in the evening, another suggestion I have is the Thirsty Bear, a really good tapas bar on Howard just around the corner from MOMA. The food's delish and their microbrewery beer is terrific.

jtrandolph Apr 30th, 2008 04:36 PM

OK, so San Francisco's MOMA is not New York's MOMA. I think you will be pleased with the building and with what they have done to that area.

We enjoyed dinner at Lulu's several years ago. Have not eaten in that area since then, I think.

If you have time and could GET IN to the Slanted Door, that would be wonderful.

ncounty Apr 30th, 2008 04:49 PM

At Lulu's, try their warm potato salad and roasted chicken.

gladtotravel May 20th, 2008 10:10 PM

We were in SF this Sunday. Gorgeous day, spent three hours at MOMA,being impressed, dinner at Lulu's, good chicken and appetizers and potatoes. Exactly the kind of day we hoped for.

ncounty May 20th, 2008 10:53 PM

Great! so glad to hear you enjoyed your experience.