Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SF International Airport to San Ramon (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sf-international-airport-to-san-ramon-700245/)

Johnmango Apr 26th, 2007 09:44 AM

SF International Airport to San Ramon

If I pick up a car at the airport, what is the easiest way to get to San Ramon: Go north through Oakland Bridge then east to Walnut Creek and turn south to San Ramon? or shall I go south from the airport, cross the San Mateo Bridge and cut into 580, and turn north at 680 to San Ramon?

If I don't drive, cab from SF airport to San Ramon will probably cost $150-200. What is the next "easy" route? Taking the Bart to Walnut Creek and then take a cab? or take the BART to Oakland Airport and then take a cab?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

easytraveler Apr 26th, 2007 09:54 AM

Get a car.

The other methods are too expensive and too time-consuming.

The easier route is southbound, until you hit the East Bay and have to navigate your way to 580. It's not that difficult, just follow the Yahoo/Mapquest/whatever directions you get.

Going northbound you will have to go through all of San Francisco (south to north),then cross the Bay Bridge, then navigate the branching freeways once you get to the East Bay side of the Bridge. This route is much longer.

J_Correa Apr 26th, 2007 10:35 AM

I'd get a car and go over the San Mateo bridge too.

Johnmango Apr 26th, 2007 11:34 AM

Thanks for the advices - I will pick up a car at the airport and go south throught the Mateo Bridge.

trippinkpj Apr 26th, 2007 11:39 AM

My mom used to take a shuttle van from San Ramon to OAK, though I don't know if their's one from SFO. Check Super Shuttle or comparable. BART and buses to that part of the east bay, aren't easy believe me. There is BART to Dublin, although you would need to transfer I think. And I don't know about buses to San Ramon. If you can drive, yes rent a car.

Shanghainese Apr 26th, 2007 02:31 PM

Johnmango: Are you staying in San Ramon for awhile or just passing thru the Bay Area?

Mademoiselle Apr 26th, 2007 03:33 PM

Would you get a rental car for other reasons that getting from SF to San Ramon?

If no, then my preference would be to take BART. Getting BART from SFO is really easy, I've taken it a few times for international flights. From this trip planner, it seems San Ramon is less than 9 miles from the Pleasanton BART station. Easy for a cab. http://www.bart.gov/stations/quickpl...p;ct=undefined

For shuttles, I've seen super shuttles on the freeways, but have sometime taken Bayporter http://www.bayporter.com and am happy with them.

If you would rent a car anyway, then I'd head south and cross the San Mateo bridge.

Johnmango Apr 26th, 2007 08:30 PM

The only reason I would pick up a car is to drive from SF airport to San Ramon, and then maybe drive to San Francisco for the last evening before departing from SF airport.

I have looked at the super-shuttle website, but can't find information on how far do they go (routes).

I guess it's not that bad driving south through San Mateo bridge - I am just not good at looking for freeway exit signs while I'm driving: I need someone to tell me where to turn!

Shanghainese:
Nice to hear from you in the US forum. I am 90% sure of going to San Ramon for a workshop on Sept 4-5. That means I will be arriving in SF Monday Sep 3, attend the workshop in San Ramon Tues and Wed, and maybe drive to San Francisco Wed evening after the workshop and stay one night, and return home Sept 6, Thursday.

Do you live in the area? I have been corresponding with Paulchili quite a bit, ever since I sent him the Shanghai map. I told him about the workshop and said if I decide to go we should get together, and also look you up if you are free - for a coffee or tea or dinner or whatever. Paul said he has to go to Chicago Sept 6-8 weekend, so I'm not sure if he will be able to meet; but if you do, please let me know.

Mademoiselle Apr 26th, 2007 11:19 PM

Bayporter goes to San Ramon as can be seen here:

http://www.bayporter.com/canda.htm

I still think BART, then a 9 mile cab ride is a good option.

frank_and_beans Apr 27th, 2007 07:19 AM

A car is wise...

You do not want to be in San Ramon for three days without a car unless you have somebody to drive you around if you want to go out to dinner.

J_Correa Apr 27th, 2007 09:06 AM

I too was wondering about how you will get around while you are in San Ramon. It is definitely designed around cars. I agree with Frank - if you don't have someone in San Ramon to drive you to dinner, then I would definitely want a car those days.

Shanghainese Apr 27th, 2007 10:09 AM

Johnmango: I work in SF and live in the east bay, northern part of Alameda County along the BART line, it takes me the same amount of time to get to SF or to the BART station nearest to San Ramon.

I just directed Paulchili to the SF 5/23 GTG thread, it was the result of easytraveler (she's been to China several times) and my quest for the best xiao long bao in SF. Paul can't make it. Please let me know what you and Paul decide on (date/time/place) and I'll try to join you; or if Paul can't do it, we can set up something. On weekday nights it's easier for me to meet people in SF but I can always get myself over to other counties. I don't know where Paul works but I think he lives not far from San Ramon.

Johnmango Apr 27th, 2007 04:46 PM

Shanghainese:
Paulchili said for now we should plan without him, because he has company who may be leaving Tues OR Wed - not sure yet - and then Thursday he's leaving for Chicago.

I will definitely go to SF from San Ramon after the workshop on Sep 5 (Wed) so we can meet in SF if you prefer - probably more restaurant choices there. I'll be staying at the Westin St. Francis just for the night and return home next morning.

It's still very early so maybe in August I will send you a reminder and we can talk. If you want you can email me at [email protected]

That way it's easier to correspond, rather than clogging up the Fodor forum.