Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SF Hotel Recommendation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sf-hotel-recommendation-482380/)

Lia Oct 25th, 2004 10:48 AM

SF Hotel Recommendation

Given the hotel strike in San Francisco, we've held off making reservations for late December. That said, which hotel(s) would you recommend near Chinatown or Union Square for no more than $150/nt? We're open to either boutique and chain hotels and have been considering:
* Westin San Francisco
* Hilton
* The Argent
* Hotel Diva
* Hotel Triton

LoveItaly Oct 25th, 2004 03:15 PM

I have always like the Villa Florence (part of the Kimpton Group). Union Sq., half block south on Powell from Union Sq. Has Kuleto's restaurant there too. Even if you don't eat dinner there they have fantastic breakfasts and wine receiption around 5:00pm. Hopefully the hotels and strikers will take "time out" so Christmas season can go on as normal for everyone.

MaureenB Oct 25th, 2004 03:38 PM

For a nice boutique hotel, we enjoyed our stay at The Hotel Rex, near Union Square. Great location, public parking garage close-by, also close to public transit.

cher_cher Oct 25th, 2004 05:26 PM

Correction: it's a lock-out, not a strike.

That said, a great hotel that my friend has been staying at about once a month is the Vintage Court. It's a quick walk to both Chinatown and Union Square -- about two blocks uphill from the Chinatown gate.

http://www.vintagecourt.com/home.html

The Golden Gate Inn is interesting to me. I keep wanting to check it out. It's just a couple blocks from Union Square.

http://www.goldengatehotel.com/

cher_cher Oct 25th, 2004 05:26 PM

Oops -- Golden Gate HOTEL.

cjandrews Oct 25th, 2004 07:07 PM

Keep in mind that you will pay an additional $40 to park overnight in Downtown. So add that to the price of your room.

LoveItaly Oct 25th, 2004 07:36 PM

Strike at 4 hotels than lock out for 10 more hotels. Now it is a "big problem". Mayor trying to get agreement by tomorrow. A "time out".
Hopefully all will sit down, talk, come to agreement. Not a good situation for anyone.

cher_cher Oct 25th, 2004 07:44 PM

"Strike at 4 hotels than lock out for 10 more hotels."

No, it is a lock out at all 14 hotels.

LOYL Oct 25th, 2004 07:54 PM

I stayed at the Argent last weekend. It didn't seem worth the $215 per night, plus $45 parking, but the location is really good. They have a lot of security staffing the building and the entrance, and they are doing a good job. We had dinner at Kuleto's and I think I'll give the Villa Florence a try next time.

LoveItaly Oct 25th, 2004 08:00 PM

LOYL, as I have stated many times on Fodors, I love Villa Florence. Not expensive, great location, good staff and really all always is fine. Glad you enjoyed Kuleto's.

mikemo Oct 26th, 2004 12:34 AM

I like the Stanford Court Hot @ California and Powell. Much better location than Union Square imho.
You may get a prepaid internet rate close to your stated price.
Their breakfast Lemon Souffle pancakes with fresh raspberries and raspberry sauce are world class.
M

MaureenB Oct 26th, 2004 07:57 AM

We also stayed at the Stanford Court many years ago and it was charming. Lots of personality, great location, nice staff, very clean and pretty.

kikahead Oct 26th, 2004 08:19 AM

If you are trying to avoid hotels with locked-out workers, you should know that both the Westin St Francis and the Argent have locked out their workers.

I live in San Francisco so you can imagine that I do not stay in many hotels here but based on location I would look into the Triton further. I have stayed at Kimpton properties both here and in other cities and have never been disapointed.

Lia Oct 26th, 2004 02:39 PM

Thanks for your suggestions and clarification on the hotel "situation". I sincerely hope everything gets worked out because San Francisco is such a great city to visit and we're really looking forward to the trip!

We'll take a closer look at the Triton and probably the Rex. (Have stayed at the Villa Florence and want to try some new places).

pumakat Oct 26th, 2004 02:44 PM

I love the Triton! It's a great hotel. They have serve complimentary wine in the lobby everyday. The rooms are pretty small, so be prepared, But it's a really cute boutique. Another hotel to consider is the Hotel Palomar. This is by far my favorite hotel in San Francisco and should be about the same price as the Triton. Check it out.

cher_cher Oct 26th, 2004 03:47 PM

Forgot to mention... You might want to try getting a price for the Adagio. Newly remodeled hotel by the Joie de Vivre group. Great restaurant downstairs, too, called Cortez.

Lexma90 Oct 26th, 2004 11:45 PM

We stayed at the Triton this spring, and really enjoyed it. We (family of 4) stayed in the suite with the fish tank. I liked the location, as I love walking through Chinatown, and it was still close to the trolley, the buses, Union Square, etc. The morning coffee in the lobby - with real mugs - was a nice touch (in addition to coffeemakers in room). The kids liked the evening cookies. We will stay there again.

MaureenB Oct 27th, 2004 06:29 AM

The Hotel Rex is a member of the Joie de Vivre group, too, and I think it still serves wine receptions in the evening and coffee in the morning.

Wm Nov 5th, 2004 08:54 AM

We frequently stay at the Golden Gate Hotel as we overnight in San Francisco from our home in Sonoma County when shopping or going to the theatre. The Golden Gate is a charming small hotel a short walk from Union Square. We always prefer small hotels to the big sanitized chains. We feel it is the best value in this area. Also, parking is only $15/nite at a garage directly across the street--no long wait to have someone fetch the car for us.

cher_cher Nov 6th, 2004 09:55 AM

Thank you for the feedback, Wm!