Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

SF hotel for 4 - couple with 2 kids ages 10 and 12

May 22nd, 2005, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

We'll be in SF the first week of July. We haven't been in almost 20 years (I can hardly believe it!). We are bringing our two daughters so we'd like a hotel that:

1) Is easy walking distance to Chinatown, resaurants, and transportation.

2) Will hold all four of us. We don't need a suite necessarily, but if there are any hotels you'd recommend with them, so much the better.

3) Is in a safe area, resonably quiet, good service.

4) Is a good value. We don't have a specific budget, and are willing to pay for a luxury hotel, but only if it makes sense (since we are with our kids, we don't need some fancy French restaurant in the lobby and in-room massage, etc. - i.e. we'll pay more a bigger room and better location and anything else that will make the family experience more pleasant)

I am thinking of a Union Square location and like the idea of a boutique hotel, but how accomodating are they for kids? (Mine are pretty well behaved, but I still want to feel welcome there)

BTW, we are staying 5 nights (Wed - Sun).

Thanks, Aermo

May 22nd, 2005, 07:52 PM

I stayed in the SF Hilton. It was fantastic location. Short walk to china town ( love the food there!), a short walk to Union Square, behind was some good Thai restaurants, and an East Indian one. There is a swimming pool on the roof. We took advantage of it in the evening. We sat in hot tub! After you walk thru Union Square you can get the Trolley Cable Car looking Tourist Bus that goes to the Wharf all the way and it will bring you back too. There is a huge Farmers market on the weekend there at the terminal. You can get on and off the bus going in the same direction with the same ticket.The fast Metro is there also- we went to the airport on it and also to Oakland's water front wharf. Tons of shopping and eating on the waterfront in SF is fantastic seafood! Walk the whole waterfront ! Have fun! Free Marine Museum at the end of the walk near the cable cars. PS: There is even a nice hostel right near the SF Hilton!
May 23rd, 2005, 09:03 AM

Hi aermo, I think if you go with a boutique type hotel you will probably have to have more then one room.

A suggestion. I would check out the Grand Hyatt which is right there at Union Square, on Stockton St. Just a few blocks to Grant which is the gateway to ChinaTown. Once you walk through ChinaTown you are at Broadway. Cross Broadway and you are in NorthBeach. Both great places for restaurants btw.
The fast metro to get to either SF or Oakland airport is BART. The streetcar to get from Market St., which is just a few blocks south of Union Sq. is the F line. The Farmer's Market is in the Ferry Building which is at the east end of Market St. The F line goes by there and stops also of course.

Welcome to SF! I am sure all four of you will have a wonderful time, SF is a good city for family vacations and children always seem to love it.
May 23rd, 2005, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I'll ckeck out the reviews for the Hilton and Hyatt. Maybe a big chain would be best for a family stay.

I still like the idea of something unique: a smaller, more interesting hotel would be fun, but I am concerned about their typically smaller rooms. Has anyone stayed in one with a party of four?

Thanks
May 23rd, 2005, 02:23 PM

We stayed at the Miyako Hotel in Japantown. It has a distinct Japanese feel with a shower and separate soaking tub. Our room had 2 queen beds and was spacious enough for a family of 4 (my kids are 14&7). It's location is not quite as central as you indicated but we found the walk (downhill!)pleasant and used the frequent buses (Muni) to get around when our legs were tired!

We also stayed at the Renaissance Parc 55 Hotel and although the location is more central we much prefered the Miyako.
May 24th, 2005, 07:36 AM
MaureenB

Our family of four really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Rex, near Union Square. http://www.jdvhospitality.com/hotels/hotel/13

It's a very nice boutique hotel in a great location for catching the cable car, walking to Union Square, and even has a reasonably priced indoor parking structure a block away. Our room had two doubles, very nice bathroom with skylight and upscale toiletries, plenty of floor space in the room itself. Very nice front desk personnel, even a wine and cheese reception in the lobby in the afternoons, and coffee in the a.m. Nice breakfast cafe next door. Across from Sears, which may be closed now?? (I never got the fascination with that place anyway-- awful service, mediocre breakfasts IMHO.)

Hotel Rex is one of the boutique properties managed by Joie de Vivre. We highly recommend it.

May 24th, 2005, 09:07 PM

We'll be in SF at the same time! I'm taking my wife and my toddler daughter out the Saturday before the 4th (packing the 8 and 6 year old off to stay with grandma); since I have a conference down in the San Jose area starting Wednesday, I'm putting them on a flight back to Atlanta on Tuesday.

I booked a stay for us at the Argent Hotel, on Third half a block from Market. It's a large luxury hotel that's not a big chain property, with much larger than average rooms and a claim to being "kid-friendly". When I booked our reservations a few weeks ago, they were running a special deal for $139/night, which represents a great deal, IMHO, based on my stay there on business last summer. It's hard to beat the location -- closer to Chinatown, the Yerba Buena Center area, etc., than most Union Square hotels, I was quite impressed with it last year and am really looking forward to staying there again -- and since I'm on the road Monday-Friday most weeks of the year on business, it takes something special to make me look forward to another hotel stay. According to their web site (http://www.argenthotel.com), they have a "Family Escape Package" that "includes comfortable, luxurious accommodations for four, free parking at The Argent Hotel, tickets (for two adults and two children) to the Aquarium of the Bay a VIP Pass to Pier 39 including a free Bay Cruise, tokens for the Riptide Arcade, two hours free parking at the Pier 39 garage, and much more! Additionally, each child will receive a Kid's Concierge Packet with games and puzzles." Unfortunately, I did a little checking, and July 6-10 and July 13-17 both returned no rooms available for those dates.

An acquaintance of mine just came back from a trip to SF and stayed at the Maxwell, another Joie de Vivre property (cf. the Hotel Rex), and had very good things to say about it. They have two room types that might work for you -- an Executive Double/Double, and a Junior Suite with either a king or a queen and a sofa bed.

I've enjoyed every Kimpton Hotels (http://www.kimptonhotels.com) property I've stayed at (The Prescott is a particular favorite, and I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Serrano last summer), but in general they're going to be a smaller and (I suspect) more expensive than what you're looking for. My only stay at the Sir Francis Drake was before Kimpton took over and before it was renovated; my impression is that it'd be hard to beat for location, but the affordable rooms might be too pricey for what you get.
May 25th, 2005, 04:45 AM

Hi we just went on spring break with our two girls who were 10 and 12. We stayed at the Stanford court hotel on Nob Hill.(This is a Marriott brand, but it was previously a mansion). It is a straight walk down into chinatown. You can hop on the trolley at the corner across the street. The hotel offers two queen beds instead of doubles. This was perfect for our family. It is a nice hotel in a nice neighborhood, but not over the top. One word of note: Breakfast. Stop at a grocery store and get small breakfast items. We had a hard time finding a breakfast place that was fast and reasonable. There was nothing close to the hotel.

Take the Wok Wiz tour which is a walking tour of chinatown. You learn a lot of history and my kids found it fun and interesting. Our girls' favorite place was Chinatown. They loved shopping there.

Also, the Beach Blanket Babylon show has a sunday matinee that we went to. It is very funny and even the kids laughed. There are a few one-liners that were rude, but it is mostly just funny.
Our girls'and our favorite place to eat was North Beach. We are a pasta family. The food was very good here and reasonable.

Have fun!
May 25th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Look into the Andrews on Post Street...they have a buffet continental breakfast on each floor that your daughters will love.. scones, bagels, juice, coffee, tea, fruit.. www.andrewshotel.com
May 25th, 2005, 08:42 PM

RE: The Andrews. I like the Andrews (http://www.andrewshotel.com) a lot, and it's usually a great value, but one of aermo's concerns was room size (four people in a room), and that's not one of the Andrews' strong points. Though given the typical room rates, you might be able to get two rooms for about what one large room at one of the pricier hotels would cost. And the Andrews does have some rooms with two twin beds, which might work well for the girls.

I almost always end up eating at Fino, the restaurant in the lobby of the Andrews, when I'm in SF, whether I stay there or not.
Jun 1st, 2005, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help! I reserved rooms at the Andrews and the Pan Pacific. I'll cancel one when I decide which is better for us. Some of the other hotels I wanted were either full or didn't have two beds. I got two double beds at the Pan Pacific for $162/night which seems like a great rate. The Andrews room is $149/night; a little cheaper, but not in the same class of hotel from what I can tell.

Thanks for all the dining tips as well. Any more advice anyone might have would be welcome.

Aermo