Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SF dining (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sf-dining-312861/)

jamie_jeff May 1st, 2003 09:01 PM

SF dining

I am looking for some recommendations for restaurants in SF. I will be staying on Nob Hill, but have no problem traveling to other neighborhoods. Any type of cuisine is fine. Looking for moderately priced, but if there's an expensive place that I need to try, I'm willing. I'm also looking for some ideas for breakfast and lunch spots. Thanks!

glink May 1st, 2003 09:56 PM

Strongly recommend Boulevard, Harris' for steaks, and Fifth Floor. None are moderate adn all need reservations, but worth the money and effort. Stay clear of the chains (Ruth Chris, Mortons, etc.). They're bland and the same experience can be had in any other city.

jamie_jeff May 2nd, 2003 01:47 AM

Glink...thanks for your help!

bookhall May 2nd, 2003 04:01 AM

Take a look at chowhound.com. You'll be overwhelmed with information--San Francisco is a great restaurant town!

jamie_jeff May 2nd, 2003 05:19 AM

I've never heard of chowhound.com. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip!

ParrotMom May 2nd, 2003 05:33 AM

www.chowhound.com is a blast...As a seafood eater I must tell you I loved Scoma's in S.F. on the waterfront and they had the best boullubaise (sp) and I noticed that the clients were a combination of tourists (us) and locals.

dovima May 2nd, 2003 08:26 AM

Hello jamie jeff,
I had a fabulous dinner last week at Zare on Sacramento Street. It's near Sacramento and Sansome, so it would be downhill from Nob Hill and then perhaps a cable car ride back up! The $45 tasting menu was four courses and more than I could finish. Maybe you'll encounter the owner, often described as "swashbuckling" and "charming" - he has several restaurants now, but this is the original Zare, and his touch hasn't faltered.

jamie_jeff May 2nd, 2003 12:47 PM

Has anyone ever eaten at Tadich Grill?

Marianna May 2nd, 2003 01:30 PM

Hello jamie_jeff, we visited SF last week and had a wonderful dinner at the Boulevard restaurant. The conceirge at our hotel highly recommended it and it certainly surpassed our expectations. It was not inexpensive, but definitely worth the money that we spent on dinner. Have a great time!

Kal May 2nd, 2003 02:21 PM

We usually hit Tadich's once a year but last year found it a bit tired...but still a decent place for the money and it is still a SF institution!

We also ate dinner last Sat. night at the "new" old Washington Square Bar and Grill.
Pretty darn good again after going thru a few reincarnations the past 2-3 yrs.

Kal

jamie_jeff May 2nd, 2003 02:47 PM

I have another question....where's the best place for seafood?

rasnes5 May 2nd, 2003 02:49 PM

Washington Street Bar and Grill-also known as the "Washbag" -very good eats. A local place with neighborhood flavor,moderate prices and great food is Liverpool Lil's on Lyon at the edge of the Marina & Pacific Heights neighborhoods at the old main gate of the Presidio. Very good & reasonable! till going stong

glink May 2nd, 2003 03:33 PM

Tadich is fun/unique, definately quirky. If you go try the Hangtown Fry (omlette with oysters and bacon). For seafood Aqua and Farallon are very good but pricey, Swan Oyster Depot has good walk-up raw bar on Polk St., and the cioppino at Alioto's is terrific.

artlover May 2nd, 2003 07:32 PM

If you like northern Italian food, I highly reocmmend Pane e Vino at 3011 Steiner (and Union). I believe it's reviewed in the restaurant section here--it's delicious and reasonably priced.

jamie_jeff May 2nd, 2003 10:05 PM

This is great! I really appreciate everyone's recommendations.

jamie_jeff May 3rd, 2003 12:32 PM

Does anyone have sushi recommendations?

Chico May 3rd, 2003 07:55 PM

I will definitely agree that Zare' is wonderful. Ask for a corner booth. Great food and great service. Enjoy your stay!