Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

SF: Columbus Motor Inn or Nob Hill Motor Inn?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be taking our first trip to SF in August. We are looking for a value priced property. I currently have reservations for the Columbus Motor Inn, but I've been reading about the Nob Hill Motor Inn, which sounds like it has better rooms that I can get at a better rate, but I'm not sure about the location. CMI seems like it's in a very convenient and active location. Any suggestions on which property we should go to?
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Are you staying at these places because they don't charge for parking?

You may want to check www.biddingfortravel.com and consider getting a nicer hotel for less on Priceline.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Go to tripadvisor.com, seach for SF hotels and read the reviews on both.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

enjoylife: Yes, the free parking is a big plus. I looked at better properties that have only modestly higher room rates, but charge at least $30/day for parking. So the free parking is a big consideration.

Mollie: Thanks for the Tripadvisor suggestion. I have used that site for several years and love it. In fact that's how I found both of these properties. I am hoping to find people that are familiar with both and could provide their insite.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 12:02 PM

I think for convenience the Columbus MI would be better. You can walk to Fishermans' Wharf or to Washington Square then down Stockton to Chinatown, without having to climb hills, and then on to the Union Square area.

Over on Pacific near Van Ness, you'd be out of the center of things somewhat, plus the hills start just east of Van Ness so if you walk from there you'd have those to content with. You'd be a couple of blocks from the Hyde-Powell cable car line, but it's usually impossible to get on "midtrip" and is best to start at either end. The Powell-Hyde line is the most scenic.

Having said that, the Powell-Mason line will be very close to CMI, however Powell-Hyde is just a few blocks more.

Make sure you take advantage of the car to drive around the city and over the Golden Gate to the Marin Headlands.

Enjoy San Francisco. You'll see why it's "everyone's favorite city."
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 01:17 PM

I have not stayed at either place, but I lived in S.F. for a long time and am very familiar with their locations.

You will not be isolated in either, as both are within a block of busy bus stops from which you will be able to go almost everywhere.

But Mollie is correct in identifying the Columbus as much better located for walking to points of tourist interest--not the least because of the hill factor.

Old Jun 20th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think I'll stick with the CMI. Being from NYC, we love to simply walk around and people watch. We are also not accustomed to the hills that SF is all too well known for. Considering the preferred and less hilly location of CMI, we'll just stay put.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Of course I meant contend, not content in my second message. However, you may not be content if you have to contend with too many hills!

There was a time I could walk from Union Square to the top of Nob Hill,at California and Mason, but now it leaves me huffing and puffing.

Have a wonderful trip, Beach Blanket Babylon, et al, and write a trip report when you get back!
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 07:10 PM

We stayed at Columbus Motor Inn in a large room away from the noisy street. The place is OK, but we didn't like the dreary location. We prefer the Pacific Heights Inn, which is located near the excellent Union Street shops and restaurants. Another place we like for value is Cathedral Hill Hotel when we can get the deal that includes parking and the big buffet breakfast.