Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sexual Molestation at Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort

Aug 15th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Wyndham International is currently involved in a child sex abuse scandal at its Wyndham Sugar Bay resort. Four children have already come forward with reports of sexual molestation by Wyndham Sugar Bay kids club counselor, Bryan Hornby. Hornby has already been convicted of assaulting one of these children and further criminal charges are pending.

Wyndham International assisted the defense of Hornby at his criminal trial-despite the fact that they knew of multiple victims- and they continue to pay for the defense of Hornby in civil suits brought by the families of two of the young victims. In addition, Wyndham is using every possible intimidation tactic to bully these families into dropping their law suits. This includes asking a judge in St Croix to order a further sexual assault exam of one of the young victims-this, three years after she was assaulted and with her attacker in jail.

Wyndham International is also blocking the release of the names of all children who were in Hornby's care and are preventing the parents of those children from discovering that Hornby is now a convicted pedophile. There is a strong belief that there could be tens of dozens of children who were also assaulted by Bryan Hornby during his employment at Wyndham resorts-particularly as he assaulted three children in just one week.

So if you know of anyone who stayed at the Wyndham Sugar Bay hotel or the Wyndham Palma Del Mar resort between 1996 and May 2000, and had their children in the care of Bryan Hornby, please contact:

Mike Caplin, Childhelp USA at 703 208 1530.

Daniel Armagh, National Center of Missing &Exploited Children at 703 837 6337

Aug 15th, 2003, 07:45 AM

Typical ambulance chasing lawyer.
Aug 15th, 2003, 07:49 AM

I've seen this on the Caribbean board, as well. Some posters have responded that they were glad to see the info since they had a child affected by Bryan Hornby at this resort.

I think that Misha is just trying to get the information out to anyone whose child could have been affected.
Aug 15th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

I cannot believe your cynicism about this message. Please note these other posts from the Caribbean board:

--Thank you, thank you, thank you. My little girl was in that kid's club for 5 days and was never right after. We have her in psychotherapy 4 days a week and she is in a classroom for emotionally disabled children. I have contacted the phone numbers listed and they are very helpful.

--I spoke, last evening with the mother of one of the children who was raped and this story is completely true and can be referenced through The Source(St.Thomas newspaper). It is just disgusting that the Wyndham will not release the names of the children in this pedophile's "care."
Bryan Hornsby had molested children in the U.S. and had the Wyndham checked his references, they would have known. Makes you think twice about leaving your children in a kid's club, doesn't it?

--I was able to find archive information on the one initial case but the newer charges against Hornby are not mentioned. I believe there may be many more victims as this man was employed in Wyndham child care centers for years. I just can't believe his references weren't checked. My sources after exhaustive searches are-
The Virgin Islands Daily News-March 31, 2001
same paper- May 17, 2001
same paper- May 4, 2000
St. Thomas Source May 21, 2001

I am also seeing this story get more publicity recently. I'm sure the outraged parents, like myself are slowly hearing about what may have happened to their children at the Wyndham as well.

--I am a good friend of the parents whose child was a victim of Bryan Hornby while staying at the Wyndham Sugar Bay hotel. This story is indeed and sadly enough true. You can read about his convitction in the The Journal (www.jrnl.net) at http://199.244.139.109/dcwww?-show:c...27_001_001.dcs

I am also outraged how the Wyndam has handled this situation. They paid for Hornby's defense and take no responsiblity for the behavior of one of their employees. I personally, as well as my family and friends, will NEVER again stay at a Wyndham hotel. I'd rather sleep in my car. It's obviously safer!
Aug 15th, 2003, 09:11 AM
att

Of course the Wyndham paid for the guy's defense: they HAVE to in order to defend the lawsuit which is filed against them as well. The plaintiffs cannot just sue the person who acually MOLESTED the kids or no one would make any money!!!! I think it is rather sensible for a company to pay for a defense for an employee if they are going to be held liable for his actions, no?
Aug 15th, 2003, 10:12 AM

att is absolutely right about the Wyndham having to defend their employee. People without knowledge of the legal system probably have no understanding of that.
Aug 15th, 2003, 10:23 AM

This is why I never use these type of programs.
Aug 15th, 2003, 11:01 AM

cnmiranda-My how cynical. I just hope no one you love ends up in such a situation with your attitude.
Aug 15th, 2003, 11:05 AM

I wouldn't leave my kids in anyone's care on vacation, especially some camp counselor at a hotel in the Caribbean!!!! It's really a sad situation in this world, but you just can't trust anyone anymore.....
Aug 15th, 2003, 11:08 AM

I agree with swalter518....
Aug 15th, 2003, 11:10 AM

cnmiranda
I believe you would feel much differently if you had a child and used that program at the resort.
Or if you had a child molested there. No amount of money would be good enought to take the pain away!
Also NOT ALL attorneys in this world are evil, some actually care about the people they represent and seeing that justice is served and people's are punished for there crimes. And no I am not an attorney

I cant believe this hasnt made the national news. I think it is a message that needs to get out to more people. If anything to make them aware of the dangers of some of the childrens programs out there. Or at least make the hotels more aware that they need to have a much better screening process.

Please correct me if I am wrong but families could still sue Wyndham in civil courts, that is where you they award money remember. So this monster could be found not-guilty in criminal court but Wyndham could still have to pay in the civil courts

Please leave this post up, it deserves to be read and it could help this from happening at another resort
Aug 15th, 2003, 11:13 AM

Also, I highly doubt the Wyndham can release the name of any minor for any reason.

As for the statement, "Bryan Hornsby had molested children in the U.S. and had the Wyndham checked his references, they would have known."

SOmething tells me that when a child molester applies for a job with children, and they have the block on the application for "references", they are not going to put down the names of the parents of the kids which he/she got caught molesting, but rather some friends and colleagues who will say that they are the greatest person in the world.

Therefore, unless they had a prior conviction, I don't see WYndham having done anything wrong. Could they have done a better check, probably, but I think parents should take care of their own kids and not leave them in the care of total strangers with no child care credentials.

I hope you don't think that when you drop your kids at some "kids club" at a resort, they will be supervised by Dr. Spock or Mr. Rogers.
Aug 15th, 2003, 12:46 PM
gyppielou

very cold cnmiranda

Aug 15th, 2003, 02:31 PM

I am a mother who placed her child in the kid's club at Wyndham Sugar Bay. I feel very guilty about my poor choice. I have not been contacted by anyone regarding a lawsuit. If I had not seen Misha's original post, I may not have been able to help my child as I now can with more information. Please see my note on the Caribbean board. I feel so strongly about CHILDHelpUSA saying that Hornby fits the profile of a serial molester that I find myself wondering what other children might have been assaulted and what can be done to help. Thanks, Misha for giving the parents the opportunity to know what happened.
Hornby's personal references were NOT checked and his work reference was the WYNDHAM Palmas Del Mar in Puerto Rico where he had worked for several years. Do you think that's enough. I don't- because this nightmare happened to me!
Aug 15th, 2003, 05:43 PM
caribtraveler

I'm with islandmom on this one.
As sorry as I am to hear of the story, I just don't understand why people use these programs. I will probably get hammered for saying this.
I'm going to assume that all parents thoroughly check out the daycare and/or the person who takes care of their child on a daily basis. So why do people think it's suddenly ok when on vacation to have some stranger watch their child? I really don't get that.
Every time you leave your child at some hotel camp, you just made a HUGE ASSUMPTION...that the hotel you're staying at checked their employee as thoroughly as you do when you look for childcare back at home, that the person you left your child with is qualified to take care of kids and the person is not some sick perverted person.
Hello? Have you seen the world we live in?
And ATT is absolutely right. Of course the Wyndham will defend him. If he's found guilty, then they're liable. And why would they share the names of other children. The Wyndham has everything to lose by doing that, if the story is true.
I'm not saying it's right. I'm just telling you how it works.
And Misha, be very careful in how you phrase things. Let's say this guy is not found guilty of anything as well as the Wyndham. I'm reading your post, and the Wyndham could take you to court for libel.
Anyway, good luck with your efforts.

Aug 15th, 2003, 06:30 PM

islandmom, caribtraveler, and gail:

you are SO in the minority with regard to not leaving your child in "kid's clubs". Although I agree with you, I frequent the cruisecritic.com message boards, and it is absolutely amazing how many people ask about the quality of the kids programs on cruiseships. Their main interest is that their little ones will not be bored, and the ration of caretaker to children is acceptable. They leave their kids without a glance backward. My own sister-in-law did it for hours at a time on a recent cruise...and believe me that room was CROWDED! And as for daycare, most (not all) moms choose them by cleanliness and convenience. I bet less than 5% ever actually check the criminal backgrounds, or even get the workers' full names!

And to pokey, hightide, strings, etc: Where did Misha ever say she was *sueing* Wyndham???? To me this seems more of an effort to identify victims, for the sake of CRIMINAL prosecution. Sueing and money and liability have only been mentioned by the skeptics...let's all spread the word about BRYAN HORNBY and make sure this convicted pedophile accounts for ALL his victims.
Aug 15th, 2003, 06:36 PM

caribtraveler-
You make good points. It isn't wise to leavw your children with people you don't know well. Some of us outside of vacation need to do this because we have moved and have no family near by.
Misha has no need to worry about her very accurate statements. I can't understand why no one on this site has checked the many sources given in this thread. Bryan Hornby, the child molester is in prison in the U.S.V.I. where he is serving 5 years for sexually molesting a Virginia girl at The Wyndham Sugar Bay Hotel.
Aug 15th, 2003, 06:57 PM

If these allegations prove true than this person is a real slimeball and the Wyndham is at the very least guilty of terrible employee selection.

The lesson to be learned here is to protect your children at all cost, especially when travelling! Parents who allowed this to happen are also at fault to just drop their children off at a resort program, without regard to their safety.

It is very much like recent happenings such as John Benet Ramsay's father and Elizabeth Smart's father. Both fathers were millionairs with mansions that were not able to protect their daughters. John Benet did not put locks on his windows and Mr. Smart allowed his wife to bring transients and derelicts into their home.

Both fathers failed miserably in keeping their daughter's safe.

Aug 15th, 2003, 07:22 PM

Many child molesters don't have criminal records if the victims didn't report the offense. Am I the only mother who has ever used a kid's club that reads these boards? I toured the facility, I interviewed the staff, I read multiple message board and website reviews. What I heard was very good. Child molesters are often charming. I don't know what more a lay person can do to check things out. As a neighbor of mine said recently, "Every time you send your kid to camp, there's a counselor you don't know and a spare room." Do we not allow our kids to leave home anymore?
Aug 15th, 2003, 08:00 PM

I just want to point out first that I am horrified that thsi happened and it is certainly a situation beyond terrible. That being said I see no reason to "boycott" Wyndam proeprties as I have yet to see anything they have done wrong. What this one person did is certianly deplorable but how would Wyndham know he was a molester when they hired him? Unless he had a prior felongy conviction on his record ther would be nothing to check and my understanding is that he did not previously have a conviction. Tehre are privacy laws which limit what you can ask on a job application and I doubt that "Are you inclined to molest children?" is one of the okay questions to ask. In other words, what makes you think Wyndham knew this guy was scum when they hired him (or even after for tht matter until the allegations came out) What makes you think his "references" would have revealed a history of molestation? Thsi guy should go to jail for a very long time (I think of even more terrible punishments for him but they'll unfortunately never happen) but to date, I see nothing the Wyndham did wrong. As far as not releasing the names of "potential victims", that to would be a violation of the privacy act. To release the records would put the Wyndham in danger of soem nut coming out an suing them not related to this molestation issue but because now the local paper had their child's name and the media was now exploiting their child due to the release of the Wyndham's information. Think about it people. I see many posts talking about suing the Wyndham over this but I don't see a one talking about suing this guy and I can tell you why. People want to sue someone with one. Thsi guy is going to jail for a LONG time deservedly so but he's never going to have money. The Wyndham on the other hand is a multi-billion dollar corp, I just don't see any evidence that they have done anything wrong. I tis a sad state of affairs today but molesters can be anywhere. They can be the clerk at the grocery store, the soccer coach, the, mailman whatever if we don't imemdiately know they are child molesters, what makes you think their employer does?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO