Sex and the City: An Unofficial Tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's hard to miss the pretty constant promotion of the new Sex and the City movie coming out May 30.

Just curious if the hooplah has motivated anyone to plan a trip with friends to New York? Has anyone taken any of the Sex and the City tours? It seems many are selling out fast in the lead-up days to the premiere.

I don't know how many big fans there are out there, but I thought it would be neat to create a Google map of different locations central to the sitcom's empire for those coming to New York this summer who may not take an official tour.

Any good ideas? Musts that I think would need to be presented on such a map:

- Carrie's place on Perry Street in the West Village
- Magnolia Bakery
- Meatpacking District highlights (but which ones?)
- Manolo Blahnik shoes
- Tao Bar

Anyone care to add anything?
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:15 AM

The current issue of Entertainment Weekly magazine has extensive coverage of Sex and the City. Included epsode guide to all episodes and a map with locations of events.
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
It's one of several tours I'm taking in June. I decided I wanted to do it the last time I was in NYC. I like "different" tours that give you a different perspective into a city. I take tours of cities (I think I) already know well.
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Given the changes in the lives of the characters shouldn't the tour also include Park Slope?
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:53 AM
JJ5

This is only related to that movie and series, not the tour. But you may be interested, as I just now received my free promo tickets to this movie, online.

My DIL purchased Lovely for me as a Mother's Day gift, and it came with a promo band/code on it, for two tickets to see Sex and the City when it comes to the theatres at the end of May. The promo code was good for supposedly numerous theatres, although so far it looks to me, unless more release their information to the permissions links- that the theatres are all too far for me to use. Someone told me not, and that when it has actually opened more theatres will link permissions to the code.

But interestingly, this is being vastly, vastly marketed, this movie, and not just with the sarahjessicaparkerbeauty.com sight either. They must be spending several fortunes on promo for this film.

To the extent it is being featured (ads of every kind known to man) a local radio show (Sports Station- huge too)has started a campaign with an entire contest that is elligible only if the man signs a pledge that he will not accompany any woman of relationship to this movie.

There is more involved, but it is hysterical so far, the pundits and calls-in for this "contest".

You are so correct, Katie_H, as the hoopla promotion is just not city either, I've even seen it roadside urban (30,000 in the entire county) MI.

Who will I use my tickets with, if they become usable to my local theatre? Maybe my daughter wants to take a girl friend. LOL!
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:05 AM

how about the diner in union square? isn't that their breakfast/lunch place?
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:19 AM

I'm pretty sure that their favorite diner is actually Cafeteria, in Chelsea. It's where the 4 ladies always get together for meals.

New York Public Library (on 5th Ave) plays an important role in the movie.

This is fun
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

I have a friend that worked on the film and I visited her on the set one day. They were filming in a Duane Reade just north of Union Square. I'm not a huge fan of the show but it was a neat thing to see.

Old May 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM

http://www.hbo.com/city/swf/map/satcMap.html
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
GoTravel

Barney's
Balthazar
Docle & Gabbana

Old May 20th, 2008, 03:27 PM
GoTravel

Yes, my girlfriends and I are throwing a bachelor party around it!

Going next Saturday to the matinee dressed to the nines with cosmos (and plastic martini glasses), then out to dinner, then out dancing.

We'll we in a walkable area so no drinking and driving and our better halves are dropping us off and picking us up.

We felt kind of silly running around at a bachelor party in our mid to late 40s.....until we realized that is what the movie basically is.

Old May 20th, 2008, 04:49 PM

How about Bryant Park?

I'm going to opening night with some girlfriends - we're going to have dinner and cosmos first I was lucky enough to see the movie last month - with the exception of the last 20 minutes - prior to the taping of the Oprah show with the cast. I'm really, really excited to see how it turns out!
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:38 AM

and if you're in the Village you could go to the Jefferson Market Garden at 6th Avenue and Greenwich Avenue to see where Miranda and Steve were married.
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:52 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice article Katie.