Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seward to Anchorage drive (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seward-to-anchorage-drive-765576/)

sylvester Feb 4th, 2009 05:56 AM

Seward to Anchorage drive

As noted in previous postings for different locations, my husband has a fear of heights and doesn't do well on drives that involve steep, windy roads. We were thnking of driving rental car from Seward to Anchorage at end of our cruise instead of taking bus or train... but I suspect parts would be steep and windy. Am I right?

NewPlaces Feb 4th, 2009 06:05 AM

No, it is a very easy and extremely scenic drive. No steep or extra windy sections. This drive is nothing comparing to the White Pass & Yukon train you are taking. Although he can't close his eyes while driving.

Orlando_Vic Feb 4th, 2009 07:08 AM

There is nothing scary about the drive. As NewPlaces says, it is extremely scenic and should not be missed.

repete Feb 4th, 2009 07:50 AM

One of my favorite drives anywhere. I know people rave (and rave) about the train -- and it is very beautiful -- but for me myriad opportunities to stop clearly outweighs the rail (or bus).

And no, it's not steep or windy. The reason: Unlike some other scenic roads, it's not just for tourism but is a vital link for residents. There are folks in Girdwood and Hope who use it to commute daily.

dfrostnh Feb 4th, 2009 08:07 AM

The road runs along the coast but it's not a big drop to the ocean. The mountains are on the other side of the road. We stopped at Bird Creek one early August to watch salmon fishermen. There was a slope down to the water but we watched from the bridge. Nothing scary at all.

jetset1 Feb 4th, 2009 08:08 AM

Coming from Seward, you will not be climbing much.. long stretches of easy driving, and more descending, towards the Portage area.

Stop at Summit Lake Lodge, to stretch your legs, get coffee and take photos.

You will enjoy the turnouts for nice views along Turnagin Arm.. they will be on your left, on the water side.
If you have time, go into Girdwood and go look around the area near the Alyeska Prince Hotel. There is a nice walking trail adjacent to the hotel, with a nice boardwalk through the woods for a long portion.
Enjoy your trip. J.

spirobulldog Feb 4th, 2009 06:06 PM

Easy easy drive, nothing to it. I disagree with repete. The train is more scenic. However, as repete says, if you plan on stopping driving a car is the way to go.

repete Feb 6th, 2009 09:00 AM

Naw, we don't really disagree. I'd admit the train is more scenic ... but to clarify: my point is not that much more scenic as to outweigh the "myriad opportunities" along the way.

For example, the only place I've seen a wolverine in the wild was along the highway and I was able to stop and watch it scurry into the brush. Same goes for moose triplet calves.

Sure, the train will stop for a moose or two, but to grab a pastry in Girdwood (or ride the tram), shoot photos of the fireweed, watch the belugas (sadly, less likely) or sheep, and on and on, the drive is far superior.

Cessnock Feb 6th, 2009 01:01 PM

You may be advised to check out whether there is a rental company that will allow you to pick up at Seward and drop off at Anchorage. If so, what extra cost? We were going to do the same in the opposite direction (pre-cruise) but found the extra cost inhibitive so we are using the train.

BudgetQueen Feb 8th, 2009 12:28 AM

Hertz is the only car rental.

gail Feb 8th, 2009 03:15 AM

You did not ask - but if your Alaska trip considerations include Denali, your husband would not do well there. I also am fearful of these type roads and it was perhaps the scariest experience of my life. And from that perspective - the road from Anchorage to Seward is fine.

NewPlaces Feb 8th, 2009 05:06 AM

<if your Alaska trip considerations include Denali, your husband would not do well there.>

For those afraid of heights you need to get a seat on the right side of the bus going to the park and on the left coming back. Everyone has to wear a seat belt on the shuttle

NorthwestMale Feb 8th, 2009 09:22 PM

When you get to Seward, you may learn for the first time of your husband's fear of Tsunami waves.

(though we all doubt very much that you'll see such a thing)