Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seven Gables Inn California Garden Room? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seven-gables-inn-california-garden-room-498882/)

SkippyW Jan 27th, 2005 08:28 AM

Seven Gables Inn California Garden Room?

Has anyone stayed at the Seven Gables Inn in the room w/stained glass window; it is called the garden room. Is it small? Does it get a lot of traffic? I want to stay there in April. Is 2 nights enough to see the sights? Thank you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kimamom Jan 27th, 2005 09:47 AM

Just for clarification, this is in Pacific Grove, correct? ***kim*** ((l))

SkippyW Jan 27th, 2005 11:47 AM

yes, in Pacific Grove. I would like to reserve the room but I want to know if it was too small; it is the least expensive room. I appreciate any help; thanks.

kimamom Jan 27th, 2005 12:02 PM

I haven't stayed at the Seven Gables, but have seen the property many times. It's gorgeous, I would go for it! What do you want to see in the area? :)

We've taken many trips to this area for two nights and see a lot. Carmel, Monterey, Big Sur are all worth checking out. For a nice dinner try Robert Kincaid's White House. Very, very good! ***kim*** ((*))

SkippyW Jan 27th, 2005 03:41 PM

Thank you. That helps. I guess I can call the inn to see if what they think about the room size. The inn's pictures do look pretty.

razzledazzle Jan 27th, 2005 04:25 PM

Nix on Kincaid's-his food is nothing
you cannot get in the midwest.
For the true spirit of Monterey/Pacific Grove
cuisine do try Passionfish-you'll see it #1 at tripadvisor-great, inventive cuisine. We also like Fandango when we visit.Both are in PG.
R5

kimamom Jan 28th, 2005 10:31 AM

To each his own, but we won't be returning to Passionfish. I was so disappointed with this place. We went last April (unless it's improved since then) were seated in the very back, service was terribly spotty, when the waitress finally showed up she was very distracted. :)

Hubby's entree had to be returned to the kitchen and re-heated, my $24 lobster entree was tough and I tired of it after a few bites. The Prix Fixe menu at the White House is around $30 for three courses, excluding desserts (which are amazing, btw,) We didn't have dessert and went back to our Room at the Plaza and had some truffles we had picked up in town earlier. :)

I know this was just one experience, but I have no desire to return there. I think the attraction here is the wine list is retail, website states they can do this since they have no sommelier and the stemware of course is not Riedel. :(

Ambiance is non-existent, far from romantic and the restaurant is on the corner of town next to a gas station. Views of the parking lot and street were a huge turn-off. :(

Might be OK with a group of girlfriends but definitely not a romantic date place if that's what you have in mind. (I do, especially when it's just the two of us and not a large group.) ***kim*** ((f))

SkippyW Jan 29th, 2005 02:37 PM

Do you guys like Roy's? What is the cost there for their price fix? Any breakfast suggestions? Where can we get great seafood and good prices?

kimamom Jan 29th, 2005 04:07 PM

Roy's in Pebble Beach? Yes, it's one of my favorite places in the area. Go at sunset and hear the bagpiper play! :D Very nice place, the kind of place you like to linger around. Enjoy! ***kim*** ((#))

SkippyW Jan 30th, 2005 01:54 PM

okay, I need your help. I am going back and forth on what to do. We have a trip planned for California in April and we have a room booked for 2 nights in Santa Barbara and then that afternoon we drive up to San Simeon and stay there 1 night.
The next morning I want to do the Hearst Castle tour and then drive up to Carmel/Pacific Grove/Monterey and spend 2 nights and leave early to get home.

Will 2 nights be enough in Monterey Peninsula? Or should I make Santa Barbara 1 night and 3 in Monterey Peninsula? Also, where can we get the best seafood in Santa Barbara and Monterey? We like causual places. I like a nice dinner once in a while but since we are doing a lot of driving I want to be comfortable. Plus, we don't get good seafood out here in the SW so my husband and I want to get our seafood fix while we can;-)

What to do in Santa Barbara? Ride bikes? Where to rent them? The mission?
I appreciate any suggestions:-)

kimamom Jan 31st, 2005 07:20 AM

keith, we spent three days in SB in December for our anniversary trip and loved the SB Shellfish Co, located at the end of Stearns' Wharf. The lobster bisque and the lobster dinners were heavenly and very moderately priced! :D

Yes, we rented bikes and rode them all over SB, you can rent them right around the cornere from the Harbor View Inn (where we stayed). I would highly recommend Harbor View, we loved our stay there. www.harborviewsb.com ((l))

Lastly, in Monterey we like Domenico's or Cafe Fina for casual meals with decent seafood. I would avoid Rappa's at the end of the wharf there. I enjoy the Monterey sand sabs while in the area. Have a wonderful trip and happy planning! ***kim*** ((#))

Lovejoy Jan 31st, 2005 09:15 AM

I too have been a big fan of Robert Kincaids food over the years,all the way back to when he owned and operated Fresh Cream in Monterey.To say his food nothing different than one can find in the midwest is a bit of an overstatement.He has however been raising his prices rather aggressively lately,a couple of years ago his three course prix-fixe was $19.00 now I see its gone up to $37.00.

http://www.robertswhitehouse.com/menu.htm

kimamom Jan 31st, 2005 10:13 AM

That's not really too outrageous for the area. Last night we dined at the Vintage Steakhouse at the Chukchansi Gold Resort and our app of escargot was $12/salad $8/entree $25/dessert $8. :D

RK also makes a dessert that I loved called "the chocolate sac" which consists of a chocolate milkshake in a block of dark, rich chocolate, served with two straws. ((y)) to the White House in Pacific Grove! ***kim*** ((l))

SkippyW Feb 1st, 2005 03:42 PM

Hi, thank you kimamom and everyone else. I am excited to have a nice little road trip out to CA. I am excited to eat at Tarpy's, Roy's, and Monterey Fish house. I can't wait to see the aquarium (my husband and I spent 3 hrs one day in the aquarium in New Orleans), shopping, the Carmel Mission and strolling the beach. Can't wait:-)

kimamom Feb 3rd, 2005 10:24 AM

If you're in Carmel around lunch time, Casanova is very, very good! They also serve the local Georis wines that are very nice. Enjoy the area! ***kim*** ((f))

PamSF Feb 3rd, 2005 11:25 AM

I'm also not a big White House fan(either in Pacific Grove or DC). I agree that Passionfish is very good for seafood. I also really like the Monterey Fish House which is casual but a wonderful locals hangout.

The Seven Gables location is fabulous. You will be just above the shorepath which is a lovely way to walk between Pacific Grove and the Aquarium. You will see all osrts of wildlife on your walk.

I think 2 days (two full days) is ok since you do want to include Santa Barbara. To do only one day in Santa Barbara would be a mistake I think.

When you are in the Monterey area, I do recommend you check out Point Lobos. The walks here are very easy and very worth your time. It's a state park for I think the entrance fee is about $3 a car. Wear walking shoes and prepare to see the coastline and all its wonder.

kimamom Feb 3rd, 2005 12:17 PM

I agree, one day for SB is not enough. We had three full days and I wished we had longer in the area. :D

Pt. Lobos is gorgeous and is actually in the Carmel area, in the Carmel Highlands. The coastline in this area is some of the most scenic on the enitre CA coast. ***kim*** ((#))

uuhhhh Feb 3rd, 2005 12:43 PM

uuhhhh kim........ maybe if you hadn't spent so much time "by their pool...visited the spa...soak in the jacuzzi then relaxed on the balcony...off to the Rivera Theater for a showing of Sideways...another jacuzzi soak and relaxing in our room", you'd have had more time to see the sights...

SAB Feb 3rd, 2005 12:43 PM

I know kim has been down on Passionfish and has been very vocal in her dislike, but count me as another fan. Kim is right however, that it is not a romantic diner for two place and it is not in a location that first time visitors would appreicate. That being said it is a big hit with us frequent visitors and with locals because the local seafood is very good and because of the wine list. When we went to the White House the weekend before last we didn't have the best dining experience there i.e. seated in a very bad location, moved to another less desirable location, inattentive server and one entree not to my liking. I would however still recommend it. Other than my entree, the food was very good, it is a lovely Victorian, I have had more pleasant experiences there before and others have a high opinion of it. BTW it is now $37 prix fixe.

kimamom Feb 3rd, 2005 01:15 PM

Actually, we'll be in the Monterey/Carmel area this month for a couple of days. I'm considering giving PF another try. :D

Definitely not ordering the lobster again, tho. :( I may try their crabcakes if they have them, and sample some of their wines, since they are so much less expensive than other places. I'd also like to sample some of their desserts. Can anything top the chocolate "sac" at the White House? We'll see! ***kim*** ((l)) BTW, are they open for lunch?