Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SEVEN DAYS-FLORIDA KEYS (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seven-days-florida-keys-13219/)

sharon Feb 26th, 1997 05:58 PM

SEVEN DAYS-FLORIDA KEYS

get up early, watch sunrise...take a nap..find an old quaint tourist hotel (not too much chic in the keys) and waste time doing not much..Faro Blanco is a clean centrally located hotel in Marathon with permanently moored houseboats as rooms or even a room in a lighthouse...Eat fish caught that afternoon while watching sunset..We have had spectacular fish at a place called the Quay in the lower keys..and I'm very particular..but sitting outside watching the sunset and pelicans diving does add a certain flavor.Snorkel at John Pennekamp Reef then eat very good fish at the Fish House in Key Largo but do not be put off by the "dive" like appearance. This is what the keys are about..KeyWest is ok for a day..drink a lot if you like and see the Audubon house..interesting gardens..this town defines tacky...Fast Buck Freddies (I think that is the name) is amusing..the insane sunset celebration is also a must for your first trip.

rob butterworth Feb 26th, 1997 08:21 PM

We stayed at a place called Largo Lodge in Key Largo - good place to stop if you are heading down from Miami by car.
It was a wonderfull peacefull shop with lush gardens and lots of privacy. The owner "Hat" is an ecentric old gal who made us laugh often. I proposed to my wife on their pier.
The best meal we had during our trip was at the restaurant called Marker88. Try 'Amanda's Delight Desert' - it worth the trip back!
We rented Kayak's from Florida Bay Outfitters (305)451-3018 - great guy and even better trip through the Marine Reserve.

Key West had so much to do. Lots of nice shopping - mostly off the main drag. We stayed at the Simonton Court - they had 5 small pools! one was a black pool right outside our cabin - great for cigar and cocktails under the moonlight... I just proposed, remember!

Anywho, I'm jealous.. you'll have a great time!

Claire Maggs Mar 6th, 1997 07:42 AM

I stayed at Duval House in Key West which is a Bahamian-style house with lush tropical gardens and pool. I took a chalet by the pool which had a lounge, kitchen & tv and its own garden with a hammock. Breakfast is served in the poolhouse and you can get refreshments there all day. There are a few special touches such as a blackboard in the poolhouse giving the temperature in the hometown of each guest staying there. I really recommend it for a peaceful stay in the best Key West location. Prices range from around $70 to $200. Tel:(305)294 1666

Claire Maggs Mar 6th, 1997 07:42 AM

I stayed at Duval House in Key West which is a Bahamian-style house with lush tropical gardens and pool. I took a chalet by the pool which had a lounge, kitchen & tv and its own garden with a hammock. Breakfast is served in the poolhouse and you can get refreshments there all day. There are a few special touches such as a blackboard in the poolhouse giving the temperature in the hometown of each guest staying there. I really recommend it for a peaceful stay in the best Key West location. Prices range from around $70 to $200. Tel:(305)294 1666

Bernard Rosenbloom Mar 8th, 1997 12:22 AM

Key West is a must The historic section at the Southern end of the Key is the place to be. It's a mixture of adults, families, kids, gays, bikers, Europeans, singles and college students. (I took my young kids and they had a great time) Three days maximum, stay at Duval house or any place in historic Key West. Sunset at the pier is an offbeat experience, Crowded but fun. Ernest Hemingway's house was a pleasant surprise. Beaches weren't that good. Duval street is the main street, great shops and eateries. Check out the huge Army/Navy surplus WAREHOUSE and the Harley Davidson store. After 10 P.M Duval street gets raucous and lively. Definetly adult orientated. Some bars and restaurants don't allow kids after 10 P.M. I've forgotten the names of the restaurants I went to but here goes. Hemingway's favorite watering hole (and I do mean watering hole) was Captain Harry's. Joe's for great seafood, take-out counter is crowded at night. There's a great open air seafood restaurant near the Marina called (I think) the half shell or the raw bar. Fishing and snorkling are good. Avoid the tourist boats and charter your own (expensive). Some small Islands off the southern and Gulf coast are nice coast.