Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Service Animals... Anyone have trouble with hotels/restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:35 PM
xxx

A certain resort hotel in N.W. Ohio which at this time shall remain nameless has refused my friends business because she has a service dog (handicapped assistance dog) and they were afraid of any guest with alergies being inconvenienced. We were looking at the place for a possible stay in the future, but the manager said she could not bring the dog. Isn't that against the A.D.A. act? Anyone else have any problems bringing service animals along in your travels?

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:50 PM
go for it

Find the number of your US Congressman or Senetor and your state rep. Tell them about this resort hotel. contact the editor of the local newspaper where this resort hotel is located and send a "Letter to the Editor" If you are persistant you will have them crawling on their hands and knees begging your friend to come. They will be kissing your friend's dog's butt!!
There is no excuse for their behavior.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:33 PM
toptop

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:35 PM
doggielover

Sounds illegal to me

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:11 PM
xxxx

I'm curious what you mean by a service dog. I am used to seeing eye dogs for the blind, but lately I've seen a rash of what appear to be very capable people -- not blind, and seemingly not handicapped -- accompanied by dogs for every reason know to man. These reasons have even included "he gives me emotional stability". And I've seen some of these people demand that a restaurant seat them with their dog, which was clearly a pet, sitting on their lap and being fed food from the table, etc. If that is the case, you may have a problem, but if your friend is truly dependent upon the dog for In what way is your friend dependent upon this dog, if I may ask?

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:01 PM
xxx

She has a debilitating back problem sometimes needing wheelchair, sometimes not. The dog picks up objects dropped off the floor, it turns on light switches, it can pull a wheelchair, although I usually push the chair. The dog is from Canine Companions for Independence. The dog is not a pet, although when it is 'off duty' it is the best pet ever. It is a Golden Retriever.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:03 PM
awwww

poor dog.....

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 03:15 AM
Parrot Mom

That is definetely a "service dog" and may wear a coat noting that.. It is illegal for a restaurant or hotel to refuse them. We were in the Stage Deli a few weeks ago and seated across from us was a "service dog".. I would definetely have her friend file a complaint. Many are trained in a little town not far from me.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 03:22 AM
gail

I think the agency ParrotMom is speaking of is call NEADS, located in Princeton, MA (or a town nearby). The dogs are family-raised as puppies and then go through about 6 months of training. Prospective dog-owners must have an on-site 2 week training in use of dog. Generally clients are people in wheelchairs with significant disabilities. Dogs are issued red vests with indication that they are service dogs.

The difficult middle ground is when people "self-train" pets and call them service dogs. While some of these dogs are very helpful, it is not the same thing. The law is not specific on defining a "service animal" or what needs the animal must help the person meet. Remember the alleged "service pig" incident on USAirways a year or so ago (Pig and owner demanded first class seats becasue of size of each, pig got loose, ran through galley). Owner admitted this was for emotional disability rather than physical one and pig was self-trained.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:07 AM
S

As I understand it, the trained service dogs will wear coats stating such when on duty. When the animal is wearing the coat, you're really not even supposed to go up and pet it.

My mother has lost 70% of her hearing and wears hearing aides in both ears. If something were to happen to my father, we (my siblings and I) would insist that she get a service dog for the deaf. These animals are allowed anywhere that people are, just like guide dogs for the blind.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Sara

AWWW,
Poor dog, you say. You must not know much about dogs, especially retrievers. First of all, dogs are pack animals and because of that their first desire is to be near the leader of the pack -- they see their owner as the LOP. Secondly, they LOVE to retrieve things ALL THE TIME! It is their instinct. I do not own a service dog but I do have a retriever. I would bet this service dog could not be happier doing anything else, especially sitting home waiting for the owner to get home from work like most dogs, including mine, I admit.

xxx,
I believe any business who refuses business to someone with a legitimite service animal is running the risk of being sued under the ADA. I once saw a story on 20/20 or the like that a man (NOT DISABLED) went around the country looking for ADA violations and made a living off of suing these businesses who violate accessibility rules.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 07:56 AM
xxx

The dog just loves it when he is helping her. It is so lovable. Yes, he wears a blue vest/coat that says it is a service animal and please do not pet. We do on occasion let little kids pet him when they ask. He really likes that. He is a real people magnet (especially the ladies...).

We will see what can be done, even if it is only giving the business a refresher on the A.D.A. law.

Thanks for all replies.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 08:54 AM
go for it

I wrote the first response after the original post. I just read that this is about picking up a fallen napkin, etc. I take back all of my advise about getting justice. This is a joke! She can tell the waiter she has a bad back and will he please pick it up if she drops it. I've been had.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Tawhill

The qualifications of the service dog aside, there have been problems at more than one restaurant denying entrance and service to someone with a service dog. In Chapel Hill a couple of years ago, one restauranteur barred a blind person with dog from entering claiming a health hazard, and in fact a tussle ensued (if I'm not mistaken) when the blind person pointed out that the owner was breaking the law. I believe the police were even involved.

The owner was charged and eventually had to pay a fine and damages to the blind person and do many hours of community service working with the blind. The owner later told the press that she had been ignorant of the laws (hard to believe if she got a license) and had learned a lot about the plight of blind people.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 09:41 AM
xxx

go for it...

What do you mean you've been had? This is a legitamate situation. There is a real reason for my friend needing a service dog. Check out caninecompanions.org and learn about these animals and what they do for people with disabilities.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 08:56 AM
ttt

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:02 AM
RAE

If it is a legitimate service dog and your friend has a legitimate disability, then the restaurant must accept you.

Instead of calling your local congressman or senator (as all they'll do is stick a junior staffer on it and alert the medio), call the restaurant again and suggest that you may calrl the local media (like a Problem Solvers" on the local news). If the manager has any brains, he really won't want a reporter sticking a mike in his face and creating bad publicity.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:18 AM
go for it

I am an architect and have worked with ADA guidelines and design for many years. The original post is a case of someone making a joke out of the ADA and ruining it for those who really need it. I am sticking to my revised post. A waiter is smarter than a service dog and can pick up her napkin if she drops it. This "friend" has a bad back. She is not blind. And Restaurants are equiped with personnel who will help their customers. That's there job. I am an advocate for blind people and their needs. The ADA has been attacked relentlessly since it became law because of people who misuse it.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 10:06 AM
YouGo, goforit!

Hear hear!! People such as your friend spoil it for those who really need it. This sort of thing sours attitudes, makes cynics and skeptics out of those who might otherwise have been sympathetic had they not "seen it all" before!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 10:22 AM
April

Would you want to use a napkin with dog slobber all over it?

Leave the dog at home and ask the waiter for a new napkin or other dropped item. That's what everyone else does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -