Served me right! ..Seatbelts on hotel shuttles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is to encourage everyone, (if you, as I.. don´t already practice this).. to wear the hotel shuttle seatbelt.

On those short hops to the hotel I had never been tempted to do so.

Unfortunately the other morning on my way to ATL after the wonderful ATL GTG when I took the hotel shuttle, I was the only person on and I walked back to the horizontal seat in the back, and did not put on the seatbelt I later saw was there.

Once on our merry, clippy way, a car quickly darted out in front of our shuttle, so close, as though he hadn't even seen us. The driver slammed on his brakes and stopped on a dime.

The next thing I knew, I had been catapulted down the aisle, and was grabbing the sides of the seats to stop myself from crashing into the metal luggage rack , keeping my head up.

When I realized we were totally stopped, I was breathless and did not know if I was injured, as I still clung to the seats and was slowly testing my limbs and clothes as I managed to become upright.

I was lucky to not have ruined my clothes, besides the filth on them, and slowly got myself onto a seat ( connecting the seatbelt) for the very short remainder of the trip.

As time passed, I did feel the consequences of the scraping sliding fall, but I hate to think what would have happened to someone even older than myself, (my mother, for example), or if there had been an umbrella or someone´s luggage interrupting my journey down the aisle.

So please be as careful on the hotel shuttles as you are in your cars... a lesson well learned, with only a sore knee to remind me of my carelessness.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Seat belts save lifes.

And dignity.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM

I nenver do either, and honestly, probably won't. But for liabilities sake, you would think the companies would require that everyone buckle up before the driver starts out.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 04:06 PM

lincasanova:

A good reminder - glad you are o.k.

Sandy
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 06:06 PM

I always, always, always wear my seatbelt when in any car, shuttle, or limousine.

Always. Many of the drivers of SuperShuttles I have been in have requested passengers to buckle up.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

In cars, limos and standard seating I ALWAYS do, too.. but this hotel shuttle had the side perimeter seats, a few standard bus type seats, and the long one in the back.

I hadn't even noticed the seatbelt.. nor have I ever seen anyone on the side seats (or any) buckling up in my years of hotel/rental car shuttle-airport 5 minute trip travel.

On long distance buses, I wear them. On city busses.. never occurred to me.. nor do they exist, as far as I know.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 01:20 AM

Also a 100% seat belt user - but I don't recall ever seeing them on vehicles with side facing seats. I don't think seat belts were designed for side facing seats - while they would keep you in your seat and prevent ejection from the vehicle, which is one of the prime functional benefits of seat belts. In a crash at a higher speed, seat belts are also designed to put the majority of the crash impact on bony body parts - which is why they tell you to keep it low over hips/pelvis. In a side facing seat that is not the case.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 04:20 AM

Great reminder. I was on one shuttle when the driver refused to go until the last person put on her seat belt -- she didn't want to.

But this reminds me -- sorry it's off subject -- why aren't there seat belts on school buses again?
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 09:01 AM

the argument against school bus seatbelts that I have always read is that it would slow evacuation of students in case of crash; and that the seats and seat back construction prevents injury. Have also read that they could be used as weapons or that the buckle, when not in use would hit people and hurt them. None of these make logical sense to me.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 09:50 AM

I have to wonder about the folks who don't wear seat belts. Apparently there is NOBODY else, no family, no friends, etc., who would be the least bit affected emotionally, financially, etc., if they were injured. Sounds kinda like the working definition of selfish to me not to mention the needless work it can generate for health care providers (yeah, I know I'm biased).
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

I, myself, was very surprised and asked myself why I hadn't searched or why it hadn't even occurred to me to look for a seatbelt on that back bench.. or other times when I am on that side bench in a rental car shuttle with my bag at my feet, etc. Frankly, I have been on many many of these shuttles and never even seen any motions of putting on seatbelts, nor looking for them.

That is why I posted, as in all other circumstances I am an ADAMANT seatbelt wearer.. and hope others who also use these type shuttles protect themselves in the future.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 12:47 PM

Lin, I hope you feel fine, nothing that a glass of wine can't cure (emotionally)

Good reminder for all, I admit ignoring the seat belts on shuttles.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.. it was a wake-up call, that's for sure!
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 07:10 PM

> why aren't there seat belts on school buses again?

The actual reason is simple, and it's the same reason seat belts aren't on transit buses: people -- and particularly kids -- won't wear them. The expense necessary to install seat belts, when they won't be used anyway, is better spent on other means to make buses safe. This includes stop signs that are more visible, more seat padding, better crash protection, etc.

In addition, it is important not to overlook ALL the consequences of a government injunction. If mandatory seat belt use makes fewer children ride the bus in the first place, the inevitable result will be MORE deaths when children go to school, not less. A bus without a seat belt is safer than a car with one, believe it or not.

For a full discussion of the numerous studies on this issue, as well as the mandatory, official reports to Congress, check out

http://tinyurl.com/SchoolBusSeatBelt

Believe it or not, the people who make decisions on what to require in school buses really ARE concerned and knowledgable about children's safety. The idea that buses are required to have stop signs with flashing lights, but not seat belts, because people don't care, is ridiculous.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 04:24 AM

Paul, your "government-sounding babble" including that in those expensive "studies" makes a little sense except for one glaring issue. "kids won't wear them". Duh. Isn't that the basic problem -- that we seem to be afraid to tell children what they MUST do and enforce rules?

If our society has indeed reached the point where enforcing the wearing of seat belts on school buses will cause fewer children to ride the buses and therefore put themselves in danger -- well -- we must be totally beyond help.

Why offer healthy food -- kids won't eat it, so just let them be obese?

Don't waste money distributing condoms to sexually active teens, they won't use them anyway?

The list could go on and on. Let what the kids want to do control their own safety! Great idea.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 04:34 AM

I never wear a seatbelt in a bus, taxi or other public conveyance but always do in a private car. I guess it makes no sense. Glad you're ok and thanks for the wake up call.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 06:24 AM

NeoPatrick, let me ask you ONE question:

What do you want government money to be spent on: installing seatbelts on school buses, or measures that will actually reduce children's death and injuries as they travel to school?

Studies (and I'm not sure why you put that word in quotes) have shown the former will result in higher government expenditures and more children's deaths. If that is how you want government money to be spent, just to satiate your desire to show who's the boss, please understand why others would prefer lower expenditures and fewer deaths.

I'll say it again: seat belts are not put on school buses for the same reason they're not put on transit buses.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also remember that seat belts need to be fastened properly, at your waist not around your belly. The OP had a scary ride down the aisle, but if the seatbelt were fastened but fastened incorrectly, it could have been a vacation spent in the hospital with a bad belly ache.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 10:05 AM

Say what??? What's the difference?
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 10:30 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
So sorry lin! Glad you are okay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -