This Weekend in Buffalo

Search

This Weekend in Buffalo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
This Weekend in Buffalo

My wife and I and our two kids (ages 6 & 8) are planning to come to Buffalo this weekend to see the Falls and other local attractions of interest. My guess is that it makes more sense to stay in downtown Buffalo for restauarants and other attractions than it does to stay close to the Falls; does anyone disagree? Also, does anyone have recommendations regarding (1) hotels; (2) places to eat (breakfast, lunch and dinner); and (3) things to see and do besides the Falls? My wife and I are both Frank Lloyd Wright buffs, and I understand Buffalo has some important Louis Sullivan buildings and an old French fort on the lake at Niagara. Any other good things to see with an educational bent?
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffalo has great restaurants and architecture, and I'm always glad to offer advice on my hometown; however, with kids ages 6 and 8 I'm going to recommend staying in Niagara Falls...basically because it has more to offer for the kids...like hotels with large indoor pools...tacky (but fun) museums and restaurants, etc. The drive to Buffalo is 20 minutes tops (assuming the bridges aren't backed up). There are severay FLW homes here, several privately owned, but two are open to the public. Keep in mind that those two are under heavy restoration, but limited tours are available. One is the Darwin Martin House in North Buffalo, and they give tours on Saturdays (with pre-made reservations). The website is www.darwinmartinhouse.org. The home (actually, there is the main home and a few smaller houses, all designed by FLW) is just steps from the Buffalo zoo. Perhaps you can combine a tour of the home with a visit to the zoo for the kids. Nearby Hertel Avenue offers many restaurants for lunch or dinner. The other FLW house open to the public is south of Buffalo on the shores of Lake Erie. It was the summer home of the same family who owned the Darwin Martin home. The website for that is http://graycliff.bfn.org/. For more info. on Buffalo's architecture, including the Louis Sullivan building, check out the Buffalo/Niagara conventin and visitors bureau website at http://www.buffalocvb.org/home.html then click on architecture. It gives plenty of info. on the city's historical buildings, and also there are architectural tours if you're interested. The tour info. is on the website, as well. The fort you mention is Old Fort Niagara, which is a few miles north of Niagara Falls (American side). It's fabulous and historically significant. The fort (including the French Castle) is in excellent condition and a very interesting place to visit. It has a nice museum, too. I've taken my now 12 year old son there since he was a young boy and he absolutely loves it. It's a quick drive from the Falls.
Also, on Delaware Avenue in Buffalo there is the Wilcox Mansion (knows as the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site. The mansion is historically significant (something to do with the War of 1812 - I think) but it's most noted for being the home that Teddy Rosevelt was sworn in at after Pres. McKinley was assassinated at the World's Fair in Buffalo in 1901. Their website is:

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to help if I can. I hope you'll post back after your trip and let me know how it went!!! Have fun.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:25 PM

Oops, I left out the web address for the Roosevelt site....http://www.nps.gov/thri/
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:39 PM

I would choose staying in Buffalo over Niagara Falls, USA, but if you're considering Niagara Falls Canada that wouldn't be a bad choice. You'll find more history and better restaurants in Buffalo. I second the recommendations for the Buffalo Zoo and Fort Niagara. If you're staying in downtown Buffalo I recommend the Hampton Inn. Haven't stayed there but have heard good things about it. What type of restaurants are you looking for? I'd be glad to make recommendations based on what you're looking for. If you're interested in football there is a Bills/Redskins game this weekend which is sold out I believe, but tickets are always available from scalpers outside the stadium and depending when you buy, the prices are reasonable.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:09 AM

another voice from buffalo...I would opt for staying in Niagara Falls, Canada or Amherst, NY (there are several hotels near the University of Buffalo-Hampton, Marriott which both have pools, Red roof, Super 8 and Residence Inn). In another area of Amherst is a Holiday Inn with a pool and several other chains hotels. Amherst is between Buffalo and Niagara Falls and it is easy to get to either Buffalo or Niagara Falls from Amherst. Downton Buffalo is fairly deserted, except for theaters and Chippewa Street, which is mostly the bar scene. Your dollar goes farther in Canada. Foodwise, the US side, especially Buffalo and its suburbs offer more and better food choices. Fuddruckers (burgers-in Amherst), Kahunaville (at the Galleria Mall in cheektowaga) are fun places for kids. Ted's Hot Dogs Andersons, and Mighty Taco are all over the place. these are local chains, Ted's is great for charcoal grilled hot dogs, Andersons is famous for beef on weck and frozen custard, and Mighty Taco is good mexican fast food. There's not a lot of food options in downtown Buffalo that would be good for kids, but Elmwood Avenue and North buffalo (Hertel Avenue) arent too far away and have better options.
Autumn can be beautiful in Western New York. There are farms where you can go apple picking which is fun if it's not something you can do at home.
there is a beautiful town in Canada, about 20 minutes from Niagara Falls called Niagara on the Lake which is fun to stroll around-lots of shops and restaurants. Also, beautiful parks to walk in, and wineries to tour. Also, on the way to NOTL from Niagara Falls is a live butterfly conservatory. This would be great for your kids. Wear bright colors to attract them. They will land right on you. Even if you dont go to NOTL, dont miss the butterfly conservatory.
Nothing is too far away in Buffalo. 20 minutes pretty much gets you anywhere. However, because of the Bills game on Sunday (at 4:15) there will be heavy traffic south of the city before and after the game, and also on the bridges to Canada.
enjoy your trip here.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for hotels on the Candian side of the Falls?
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 04:08 AM

I can't offer any personal experience regarding hotels (due to our proximity we never stay in the Falls). However, if you go to the Canadian board and type in Niagara Falls in the search box, you will find a lot of information regarding hotels in NF Canada. Or you could post on the Canadian board asking for quick NF hotel advice. New hotels keep going up constantly - it's hard to keep track of them. Have fun
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:39 PM

JEFFREY!??
How was Buffalo!!!
Anopther good recommendation is Flying Tigers restaurant. They have the best Beer cheese soup!!!!!!!!!!!!yummy!!!!Also, red coach inn in the Falls,American side..Awesome food..Waitstaff dressed up frm the 1800s!!!!!!!! overlooking the Niagarafalls rapids!!!!! I used to live there and Believe me! I love the food there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Lord Chumleys in Buffalo is an excellent pick also!!!!!!! Hope u had fun!!!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:02 PM

Jeffergray: You didn't happen to see the Falls dare devil, did you?
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Actually, we just missed him. On our last morning, we'd stopped by the Falls/Goat Island for a final visit. We left the Canadian Falls from the American side at about 11:30, which was only 45-50 minutes before the man went into the water across the river from the Canadian shore. From what I've read, it sounds more like an attempted suicide than a daredevil act. It put a completely different perspective on all those stories about the young boy who went over the Falls and survived back in the 1960's, however. This guy was was very little the worse for wear for his plunge.