September trip to Maine and New Hampshire

Jul 7th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

September trip to Maine and New Hampshire

I posted a message a few weeks ago but we've changed our plans. We plan on flying into Portland, Maine and plan on spending 7-8 days traveling through Maine as far as Bar Harbor or Bangor and then over to New Hampshire. I've been reading books and messages and am struggling with the planning of our time. Are there areas in either state that one should not miss and am looking for help on planning 7 days. By the looks of it we could spend so much more time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Jul 7th, 2004, 12:46 PM

I would say don't miss Moosehead Lake, which you could hit between Bangor and New Hampshire.
Jul 7th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Camden!
Freeport-- if you are a shopper Home of LLBEAN
Jul 7th, 2004, 01:28 PM

You could easily spend the entire time in Maine. We love the mid-coast area which includes Camden, Damariscotta, etc. While it's fun to explore I think you would be wiser to aim for some highlights. I loved the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland, my husband preferred the Owl's Head Transportation Museum. If you enjoy historical areas, I would recommend Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth, NH and Canterbury NH Shaker Village. The Common Ground Fair is held in Unity (near Camden) about the 3rd weekend in September - great for handcrafts and organic food. It's not your usual country fair. Take a boat ride even if it's a ferry. We particularly enjoyed the Inland Rivers Cruise on the Heritage based in Portsmouth NH. Don't miss the Public Market in Portland. I'm not that crazy about the White Mountains but if you are hikers, you should make a visit. Hope you have a great time. You can't see it all but you will certainly find that New England is worth the visit.
Jul 8th, 2004, 03:37 PM

I also agree with Moosehead Lake (was just there over the 4th). Jus going there will give you an idea of the 'north woods' part of Maine which is quite a bit different from the coast.

In NH, consider taking the COg Railway up Mt. Washington.

We like the Budweiser Brewery Tour and the Clydesdales in Merrimack.

The Ols Head Transprotation Museum is superb - go on a weekend if possible when they drive some of the old cars.

If you have never been Whale Watching, do that
Jul 8th, 2004, 04:29 PM

September is the best time to visit Maine, but avoid any driving on Labor Day weekend.
Jul 8th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

After doing some reading in the Maine Explorer and reading numerous posts we have changed our plans and decided to not try to go to New Hampshire this trip. Here is our tentative trip plans. Sure would like any input. Probably won't make it as far north as the big lake though it sounds wonderful. Here it is. Fly into Portland and spend two nights there or go to Kennebunkport for a night. North to Camden for two nights. Then to Bar Harbor for 2-3 nights. If only 2 nights would back track to Boothbay for a night and then back to Portland for a night. Sure would value any opinions. Have never been to Maine!
Jul 8th, 2004, 07:33 PM

I suggest strongly to plan at least 2 days in Bar Harbor. Beautiful scenic town on the coast and Acadia National Park is right there to spend at least one day at. Plenty of hiking trails. Also the loop road for vehicles follows the coast with some great attractions. Thunder Hole...Sand beach...Hike up Beehive for a incredible view. Get a guidebook to that area and you will have no trouble filling your day! Have fun!
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:22 AM

Sherlon03,
I don't think you need to break you trip up into so many little hops. We don't like driving too much in one day, but Portand to Bar Harbor is only 3-4 hrs. Personally, we like to spend our Maine time in Bar Harbor/Acadia, and would suggest spending more time there.
Jul 17th, 2004, 06:24 PM

Acadia National Park is not to be missed. Also Ogunquit is fun - great lobster pound there too! Take advantageous of the delicious lobsters in Maine! As said above, Camden is a cute place to stroll around.
Jul 17th, 2004, 06:35 PM

We just got back from 4 days in Bar Harbor -- could have used a week.

We flew in/out of Portland, and the only downside was the 4 hour drive each way. There was a tourist office at Portland airport with maps, etc. We took the Scenic route up and the fast route back.
Jul 17th, 2004, 10:08 PM

You might check the price on flying into Portland, then OUT OF Bangor. Sometimes it's comparable in price. The one-way rental car would be a little more, but worth it.

That said, if I were flying in and out of Portland, I'd just freeway it up to Bar Harbor on arrival, stoppin g in Augusta for a couple of hours to visit the Maine State Museum. I'd stay two nights in Bar Harbor, then I would work my way down the coast. A leisurely drive down the coast would probably stop in Belfast for lunch and Camden for dinner, driving at night to Boothbay to settle in for two days. Next, since it's September and the crowds are dying down, I'd head to Kennebunkport or Ogunquit for a couple nights, or if you'd rather stay closer to Portland, the Billowhouse in Ocean Park would be a nice place to stay.
If the first two nights are Fri and Sat, I'd make a reservation for Bar Harbor, it's touristy.....but for the weekday jaunts I'd just wing it and find something along the way that suits me. Weekdays in September, after the holiday, there are plenty of vacancies until leaf-peeping weeks.

Portland....I'd fit it in on a day trip, and Freeport if you like to shop, but they're certainly not the reason to visit Maine in September.
Jul 18th, 2004, 05:41 AM

I love the Maine coastline, particularly from Camden to Bar Harbor. It is the one place I keep longing to go back to. I also have plans to head up there in Sept. Do not miss Acadia. You will need a full day there, and that will be rushing it a bit.
I'm looking into taking a day trip on a ferry to Nova Scotia. Any recommendations on that?