Senior Citizens in ID, UT, MT, CO and WY

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents are taking a much-needed-once in a lifetime 2 weeks trip out west (they're from Alabama) and have NO idea what to do. Can you suggest interesting attractions and hotels for them? They will be travelling June 10-24. Flying in to Salt Lake City and out of Denver. They'll be renting a car. HELP!
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM

The possibilities are almost limitless. What kinds of things do they enjoy?
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

He's a pastor - they are in their mid-70's, but great shape. I took Mom out to Idaho a few years ago and she fell in love with the Snake River Valley. Dad is a "Rigby", so they want to go to Rigby, Idaho.
She would like to go to the following cities:

Flying in to Salt Lake (want to see the Temple, maybe the Salt Lake...don't have anything else planned, except the rail tour in Heber City). need ideas.

Then on to Idaho Falls, to see Rigby...any ideas there?

Then to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. No clue there.

Then to Boseman, MT...not a clue
also Billings

then to Sheridan, Casper, Cheyenne and then...

they want to spend 4 days or so in Ft. collins and Denver.

They want day trips out of Denver.

They don't really "do" anything...just like the sights...but I really need help in helping THEM fill their trip. they are so excited. I need suggestions for hotels and other attractions. it's a big ask, but do you have any ideas.
thanks for the initial response.
Old May 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM

On the way to or from Heber to Salt Lake City, Park City is a nice stop for lunch or dinner and to browse some of the local shops. It's a ski mecca in the winter but a nice place to visit anytime.

If he's into railroads, Promontory Point,north of SLC and west of Brigam City is the point where the cross-country rail road was linked. There is a commemorative center there with historical information and photos.

I would not waste time going to see the Great Salt Lake. If they do go north on I-15, either to Promontory or Idaho Falls, they'll get to see small stretches of it from the highway and that's about all its worth, IMO.

I don't have a clue about the Idaho Falls area. For me, it's just a place I've been through on the way to somewhere else.

Going to Jackson and Yellowstone, if they do not already have hotel reservations, I'd get on that very quickly. I'm going to be in that area at the same time, made my reservations a couple of months ago, and had a lot of trouble finding anything with vacancies. Even then, I wound up having to go with my 5th or 6th choice.

On the way to Denver, I'd suggest a slightly different route. First, I'd depart Yellowstone through the NE gate and head to Cody, WY along the Beartooth Hwy and the Chief Joseph Trail. IMO, this is probably the most scenic drive I have seen in the 48 contigious states and rivals the best Alaska has to offer. I have a couple of photos of that area on one of my photo essays and I'll post a link to it in a following post.

In Cody, the Buffalo Bill Center is worth a visit. It is composed of five separate museums and is exceptional.

In the DEenver area, the mountains are just to the west and there are a number of great places to visit. Lookout Mountain, just above Golden provides a tremoundous view of the plains of Denver, and Boulder. Boulder, itself, is a pretty city and I like walking around the grounds of the University as well as traveling in the canyons and mountains just west of the city.

Going west from Denver, they might want to check the schedules for the Red Rocks Ampitheatre. It's an outdoor concert venue that books many types of shows in a beautiful setting.

Further south, the Garden of the Gods is near Colorado Springs as is the Pike's Peak Hwy. That and the Mt. Evans highway west of Denver are the two highest roads suitable for general travel in the country.

I also like the little town of Evergreen, west of Denver. However, I'm not 70 and I'm definately not a pastor so their mileage may vary.

It sounds like thay are going to have a wonderful trip.
Old May 11th, 2008, 02:37 PM

the link I said I'd post is

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/336163/index.html.

The area I was discussing is toward the end of that essay.
Old May 11th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Mr. Woodmancy: thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Your pictures are beautiful and the explanation of the pictures very helpful. My mom is with me this weekend and we're "exploring" on the computer, working to set up their trip. thank you again for your assistance.

XGAPCH
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:22 AM

Dear Peach,

dwooddon has given you excellent info. The Beartooth, CJH and the museum in Cody are definites that your folks will treasure. And they definitely need to "hop to" on reservations for Yellowstone and GTNP and be prepared to check options outside the park at this late date.

You mentioned that your folks would visit Bozeman, where I live. Given thier generation I think they'd probably really enjoy the Museum of the Rockies, the Pioneer Museum and a visit to the nearby headwaters of the Missouri. Virginia City, hmmmm maybe 50-75 miles outside of Bozeman is a restored historic western town that is really interesting.

What a fun trip for them!

-doo
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:48 AM

I'd suggest a trip up to Rocky Mountain National Park from their lodging in Fort Collins (Loveland would probably be better). In the park, stop at (and walk across) the alluvial fan, take the shuttle bus from Moraine Park up to Bear Lake, then take Hwy 34 (Trail Ridge Road) up to the Alpine Visitors Center and down to the other side of the park. Moose are sometimes spotted on this drive through the western part of the park. If interested in history, stop at the site of the Never Summer Ranch, just south of the Timber Creek campground, and learn what life was like in this part of the upper Colorado River valley in the early 1900's.

They could then turn around and head back over trail ridge, or.....

I'd suggest continuing down and out the western entrance of the park to Grand Lake, Granby, and over to Hot Sulphur Springs. Get a room at the Riverside Hotel (cash or checks only), and then spend the evening soaking in the 20+ hot springs pools of the Hot Sulphur Springs Resort & Spa situated on a gentle hillside overlooking the Colorado River.
Next day head back to Granby, and down Hwy 40 to Winter Park and over the continental divide at Berthoud Pass (one of the more scenic passes in Colorado). Get on I-70 just east of Empire and go east to Idaho Springs, where they can take a tour of the Argo Gold Mine if they are so inclined. At I-70 exit 243, get off and take the Central City Parkway up to the old gold mining towns (now gambling towns) of Central City and Blackhawk. In Blackhawk, turn north onto Hwy 119 and follow this scenic road to Nederland, then down to Boulder.