Seneca Hotel in Chicago?

Apr 20th, 2001, 06:19 AM
shelley

Seneca Hotel in Chicago?

I found a great rate on suites at the Seneca in downtown Chicago. Can anyone give me a review and vouch for the safety of the area??? We are bringing kids and want to be close to fun as well as safe to walk to attractions. thanks! Shelley

Apr 20th, 2001, 09:19 AM
carrie

That's funny - a friend of mine and her family just came up to Chicago from Milwaukee for a visit last weekend and they stayed at the Seneca! I visited them here, so I can definitely vouch for it. They got a great rate on a suite as well, and it was really beautiful and roomy. The hotel itself is also quite nice (older, but refurbished) and the location is perfect! It's right between the Hancock Center and Water Tower Place (where Oprah lives, if that gives you an idea of the neighborhood!) You're right off Michigan Ave, so safety is definitely not an issue (other than the typical big city precautions, of course). You're quite close to the lake and Oak Street beach, as well. Be be sure to bring the kids to Navy Pier (it's just about a mile from your hotel). Have a great time!

Apr 22nd, 2001, 07:22 AM
Laurie

We had an intern that stayed here for 3 months from Germany. He stayed at the Seneca. It is an older hotel but they were fixing it up back then. It is in a great location. I don't think it has a lot of extra amenties but I am not really sure either.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 06:10 AM
patg

The Seneca has an excellent location. It's on a quiet(ish) block just steps from the high traffic tourist area and you can walk or take a quick cab ride to dozens of attractions. It is a very safe area. The only things you need worry about are pickpockets and the occasional scam artist. Don't put all your credit cards and money in one place, and don't leave your purse on your stroller or on the back of your chair in a restaurant - put it under your feet. Keep a casual hand on your bag when walking in a crowd. And if someone offers you a deal that is too good to be true - walk away.
I doubt if the Seneca has a pool for the kids, but you can walk to Oak Street beach - on the weekends it's jammed with every kind of Chicagoan. Great people watching!

Search this Thread