Studying English

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Carmen

Studying English

Hi, I'm a 28 y.o. female Spaniard who would appreciate a piece of advice about where to study English. I'm trying to decide which city would be the best to spend July-Augost learning English (based on sightseeing, good weather, chances of meeting people, nightlife,good accent,...). I'd like to learn English but also have fun. Thank you.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Lucas

Hi Carmen,
I'm from Brazil and by my experiences I would say that the best place to learn English but at the same time have fun with people from all over the world would be without a doubt Orlando fl.
July is a alsome month 'cause is very hot and people are going to the beaches in the day and out to clubs at night. If you don't learn English you will at least have a freaking good time...

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Fwhiteside

Carmen, if your posting is anything to go by ( apart from the mis-spelling of August as 'Augost' ) you already possess a better command of the English Language than a lot of native English speakers.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Safiria

Boston.

Lots of people in just about your age range, lots to do, weather is very nice for those two months (not as hot as other big cities, but plenty warm enough for outdoor activities).

Not sure what you want re:"good accent" but there's a regional accent in most cities -- and for some reason most "urban" accents are harsher and more nasal than outside the same city -- don't ask me why. Orlando would have a southern accent to some extent, although people come there from all over the country.

Native Bostonians have an accent that is has close ties to parts of England and some find it annoying -- although I think it depends on which part of eastern Mass. one comes from (South Boston vs. Ipswich). But the young-adult population comes from all over and are largely affiliated with the very great universities in the area -- so, to make a sweeping generalization, are a bit more literate and less "accented" than might be true elsewhere.
Now, I know all kinds of partisans and favorite-sons and -daughters will jump all over that, so I certainly admit it's an opinion and not unbiased. But I've lived/worked in NY, Phila, Chicago, and spent a fair amount of time in the southeast and the Bay Area, so my assertions are based on that.

Second choice would be San Francisco. Also wonderful weather (but the summer fogs can be chilly), diverse and cosmopolitan population, lots to do.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 08:55 AM
Carmen

Thank you for your answers. How about San Diego or New York City, are they good places for meeting people, learning English and getting around?

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 07:46 PM
Christina

If I were you, I'd mainly decide where a good program was first, as you won't be able to find a good English language program for foreigners in a lot of places. I personally would choose California for your desires, either Los Angeles or San Francisco. I think they would fit all your criteria. I don't like San Diego myself, I think it is rather dull and conservative and not much to do that is very exciting. It does have good weather, but I think it's boring after a few days, especially for younger single people. I never lived there so am not sure how easy it is to get around there without a car, it doesn't seem to have that great a public transportation system to me from my visits there. There aren't that many US cities with good weather in July and August, that's the problem, most US cities are hot and humid during those months. I would avoid the south for various reasons, accent is one of them, but the weather is very bad. I think the weather in Florida is awful in summer, although might be okay if you were right on the ocean, but don't think it's a good location for sightseeing. New York has lots to do, the weather isn't as hot as some places but isn't great; it's very expensive, though, so it would depend on what kind of accommodations you can get. Los Angeles is much cheaper; I'd go there, as I know they have language programs for foreigners, and there is no regional accent in California. There's lots to do and lots of young people there, good sightseeing, and pretty good weather if you stay out of the valley; great weather if you can stay near the beach. It would depend where you were staying and going to school as to how easy it is to get around; it's not too bad if you only need to get around a small area (like Santa Monica, I think they have some language programs there). There are language programs in San Francisco or Berkeley, also, and that would also be a great place; they do have a very good public transportation system there.