Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seeking Restaurant Suggestions --- south shore area in MA (Braintree/Weymouth/Quincy)

Search

Seeking Restaurant Suggestions --- south shore area in MA (Braintree/Weymouth/Quincy)

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:47 AM
Cleo

My family is coming in from different parts of the country for get-together. Mom (who's still living in MA) is 78 yrs old & doesn't like to go into Boston (I know, that's where best restaurants are, but ...). SO, I'm looking for any restaurant suggestions that aren't too far a drive from south shore area. Any type of cuisine --- prefer casual, nothing fancy & reasonably priced. Ideas? Or also, any websites w/reliable restaurant reviews would be helpful. I'm sure that Zagat's doesn't have anything listed for these towns; just trying to find an okay place with decent to good food.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:00 AM
bm

I'm actually interested in restaurants in this area too as I just moved to the South Shore from MetroWest. I have tried both Amelia's and Captain
Fishbone's both at Marina Bay Quincy-had good meals at both.
A website I like for restaurant reviews is Chowhound.com

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:05 AM
Suzy

When my South Shore family gathers for informal events, we head for the International Buffet, 237 Quincy Ave in Quincy near the new Roche Bros. (in th same strip mall as a defunct Bradlees). They started out as a Chinese buffet, but now offer everything from sushi and duck to pizza and fries. Great place for vegetarians and shellfish lovers. Something for everyone! IIRC, the price (for adults, anyway) is $16.95 per person. We just had a group of 12 there for Mother's Day (my mom is 81 and a picky eater) and had a fine time. Very hospitable staff, informal, kid-friendly.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:12 AM
Leslie

Have you checked out the site www.phantomgourmet.com? Just put in the town that you're interested in dining in or the cuisine (town is better for your requirements) and see what pops up. The reviews are very accurate.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:20 AM
Mare

I moved from the South Shore a year ago. We liked Jimbo's at 405 Franklin St in Braintree, especially for fish and chips. It is a casual, family style restaurant.

We also liked the Custom House at 125 Sea Street in Quincy. They have chicken/beef/seafood, but their baked stuffed shrimp was our favorite. It is a bit "fancier" than Jimbo's, but still very casual. I think most of the entrees are in the $9-14 range.

La Paloma (195 Newport Ave, Quincy) is good for Mexican food.

There is also a Legal Seafoods in South Shore Plaza in Braintree. It is a casual atmosphere, but the food is a bit pricier.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:43 AM
Cleo

Oh, thanks for such quick responses (& keep them coming) ! I emailed a friend who still lives in New England and her Mom gave me two places in Quincy;
-- Naked Fish (on Adams St, former location of Hollow Restaurant);
-- Quincy Bay Inn (located on small street off Washington St)
Has anyone been to either of these? Feedback?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:46 AM
Suzy

I've driven by Naked Fish many times, but never stopped. I belive it's part of a chain, pehaps there's a web site where you can check out decor and menu.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:51 AM
Zoe

The phantomgourmet.com suggestion is a great one.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:45 AM
kcd

I've eaten at the Naked Fish, but not the one in Quincy. It is a chain, but not a bad one. I don't like seafood, but my understanding is, if you do, it's excellent. My parents love the Quincy Bay Inn - I don't see what the big deal is. Very average food and atmosphere.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:05 AM
Cleo

Thanks, again for the suggestions. Looked at both the phantom gourmet site and chowhound and they should be helpful, also.

Old May 24th, 2002, 02:26 AM
clint

THE VILLAGE FISH!!!! Seafood diablo!

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! It's good.

bon apetite

Old May 24th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Ann

I've also been to Naked Fish, but not the one mentioned. Yes, it's a local chain, but not a bad one. Prices seemed to be about as high as Legal Seafoods. Major problem was the noise level...really really loud! I don't think I'd take my elderly in-laws there, especially for that reason. Food was very good, but atmosphere not for the elderly. At that price I prefer Legal.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Andrea

X & O European Trattoria - Quincy
Greek & Italian food. Atmosphere is very nice. Food is excellent. Prices range from $11-$20, portions are large. They also have pizza/roll-up sandwiches, etc., My favorite is the Moussaka (Greek comfort food).
617/479-1900