Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Seeking nice hotel near SoFi Stadium in Inglewood (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/seeking-nice-hotel-near-sofi-stadium-in-inglewood-1710347/)

SaltysMom Sep 15th, 2022 03:39 PM

Seeking nice hotel near SoFi Stadium in Inglewood

Hi! We will be attending a football game in December at SoFi Stadium and are looking for a nice (and safe) hotel near the stadium. I'm not sure what's in the area and my searches aren't turning up much except for those several miles away. Hoping those in the "know" of this area can give me some ideas. Looking to spend $250-$350 per night for something pretty nice. Thanks in advance!

Jean Sep 15th, 2022 06:59 PM

It's Inglewood with an "I."

There aren't any hotels immediately adjacent to the stadium area. There are all the chains represented fairly close on Inglewood, Manchester and Century, but I'd want to be west of the 405 freeway. Anything near LAX or slightly south (El Segundo, Manhattan Beach) or north (Marina del Rey) of the airport would be better than east of the freeway, and these areas aren't far from the stadium. I live in Manhattan Beach, and we attend a lot of events at the YouTube Theatre (SoFi Stadium complex) and the Kia Forum (SoFi adjacent), so my inclination would be to stay in El Segundo or Manhattan Beach.

Moderator1 Sep 15th, 2022 09:17 PM

We edited your title to Inglewood

mlgb Sep 16th, 2022 07:19 AM

There aren't any near the stadium which is why you couldn't find them.

As Jean said, stay west of the 405/San Diego Freeway. If you gave us the exact date we could do a search for your price range as the prices will fluctuate depending on how big the event is, etc.

El Segundo tends to be "overhoteled" and therefore usually less expensive than Manhattan Beach, but if you are flying in and it is just for one night and you are trying to save on the Uber/taxi fares, then maybe Century Blvd, west of the San Diego Freeway.

There are also a few options on Rosecrans that are technically in Hawthorne such as The Ayres which is very nice. If you have a car, that might work.

Jean Sep 16th, 2022 10:15 AM

Having or not having a car makes a difference in any recommendation. I definitely wouldn't stay at the Ayres without a car no matter how nice the rooms/property are. The location is just too odd and removed from the things most visitors want/need.

mlgb Sep 16th, 2022 12:56 PM

It isn't like they are going to walk to the stadium so they will either drive or take a taxi/Lyft/Uber. It isn't clear that the OP has any other criterion other than "near the stadium" "nice" "safe" and a price range.

Because it is near the 405 and Rosecrans interchange, it's actually as close, or closer than the MB and El Segundo hotels. And nicer than most if not all in their price range.

Jean Sep 16th, 2022 02:36 PM

Still wouldn't stay there.... The 405 freeway is the busiest and most congested freeway in the U.S. Freeway lanes are less than 100 feet away from one side of the hotel, there's a freeway ramp on another side, a gas station on the third side and a McDonald's across the street. The traffic on all four sides is constant all day. I wouldn't even know which side to ask for. The view of the Costco parking lot? IMO, it would be a lovely hotel in another location. Less than a mile to the west both Marriott and Hyatt have properties, and there are about 10 restaurants within 2-3 blocks. The Westdrift (Marriott Autograph Collection) would be the best option in this area that is (just) within the OP's budget range.

I realize my biases are mine, but the surrounding atmosphere of a hotel impacts my overall impression and contributes to whether I think I received value for the rate. It's not just about the interior for me.

mlgb Sep 18th, 2022 08:57 AM

We don't know the OP's dates or how many nights they are staying. That hotel is likely at least $100 to $150 more per night than the Ayers which is nicer with a restaurant inside (used to be Matisse but is now Polanco). It is designed around a courtyard.

Westdrift is the (1983) Radisson/ Marriottt, complaints about nickel and dime charges such as $40/night for parking.

If they had asked about a week's stay somewhere, I wouldn't recommend either one.

Jean Sep 18th, 2022 03:48 PM

We don't know a lot of things. All I can do is recommend for and against particular properties. The OP can figure this out on their own.

NorthwestMale Sep 26th, 2022 09:22 AM

Assuming they're not staying in 2027, or in 2042...

it really doesn't matter what dates they're going to be there in the general present.

"nice hotel near SoFi Stadium in Inglewood" does NOT compute.

(but the kids hanging around the gas stations down the street may still "pump your gas for a quarter" ) (* get a rental car without a gas cap)

PS - NOBODY should BE in Inglewood, CA when they are "... not sure what's in the area..."

mlgb Sep 27th, 2022 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by NorthwestMale (Post 17402362)
Assuming they're not staying in 2027, or in 2042...

it really doesn't matter what dates they're going to be there in the general present.

"nice hotel near SoFi Stadium in Inglewood" does NOT compute.

(but the kids hanging around the gas stations down the street may still "pump your gas for a quarter" ) (* get a rental car without a gas cap)

PS - NOBODY should BE in Inglewood, CA when they are "... not sure what's in the area..."

The dates matter if one is searching for hotel rate and availability, which will vary wildly if there is a major event.
The OP has been given parameters on the nearest safe neighborhoods with the advice to stay west of the 405 Freeway and has chosen not to respond.

SaltysMom Oct 2nd, 2022 04:10 PM

Sorry mlgb. Haven't responded since I was out of town due to a family emergency. I appreciate all the responses to my query. I realize that I didn't give as much info as to get the best answers to my question. We will actually be staying near SoFi Stadium on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - attending a football game on Christmas Day. We will be driving up from San Diego so we will have a car. Taking the advice of several who said to stay West of the 405 - so I've been looking at Manhattan Beach or Rodondo Beach areas. Finding that the hotels during that time are a little pricier than I thought they would be, so I'm upping my expectation of price to be in the $400 + range. Hopefully not more than $500! Since it's Christmas, I want to stay somewhere nice - rather than one of the usual cheaper chain hotels. I would also welcome any ideas for a nice place for a dinner reservation on Christmas Eve if you have any favorites in that area. Thank you Fodorites!

Jean Oct 2nd, 2022 04:53 PM

I'll reiterate my suggestion of the Westdrift Hotel in Manhattan Beach. It's a Marriott but in their Autograph Collection. About $350/night for your dates (plus whatever for O/N parking) and gets reasonably good reviews on booking.com. It's about 7 miles from SoFi.

Within about 5 blocks are several restaurants I'd consider for CE, but you'd have to investigate their holiday schedules: Eddie V's (my first choice if you want "special"), Fleming's, Fogo de Chao, Il Fornaio. About a 1/2 mile due west of the hotel is the Manhattan Village Shopping Center which has a few more restaurants I'd consider (again, check holiday hours): Joey's, Tin Roof Bistro, Mercado, BOA, Shushi Roku. (These last two are due to open soon.) If you want to venture into the downtown area of Manhattan Beach, Arthur J's, Strand House (great sunset view), MB Post, Fishing with Dynamite, Esperanza, Love & Salt, Petro's (my sentimental favorite). Loads more nearby but not what I would put in the special category.

NorthwestMale Oct 11th, 2022 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by mlgb (Post 17402585)
The dates matter if one is searching for hotel rate and availability, which will vary wildly if there is a major event.
The OP has been given parameters on the nearest safe neighborhoods with the advice to stay west of the 405 Freeway and has chosen not to respond.

Wrong: The dates in this case only matter if projecting to perhaps 2029 and beyond.

The Stadium is less than 4 miles direct to where Rodney King was beaten. Now who wants to put a "nice hotel" in such an environment?

mlgb Oct 11th, 2022 09:03 AM

The Ayers hotel that I recommended above is in your price range and is nice once you are inside. My friends who live in MB (and are richer than God) have used it for years for family gatherings (at Matisse) and even their father's memorial service. No issues with driving to for example Manhattan Beach Mall, straight down Rosecrans. You have a car, add $20 a night. Personally I am not that enamored of the old Manhattan Beach Marriott at the golf course but maybe it's okay since the renovation.
https://reservations.ayreshotels.com...mmodation/room

Have a look at the Ayers (and Marriott) websites and decide for yourself. Read the reviews. Nearly all mention that the Ayers is quiet. It is possible to noise insulate from freeway noise, and the Ayers folks know how to do it.

I haven't been to their restaurant since Matisse, pre-pandemic.It is now "Polanco Modern Mexican Steakhouse". But coming from San Diego you may not want that.
Daily Breeze https://www.dailybreeze.com/2021/09/...an-steakhouse/
Yelp https://www.yelp.com/biz/polanco-mod...se-hawthorne-4

I would check Open Table and see what is really available for your holiday time frame as well as menus etc. Bristol Farms is on Rosecrans if you want some grabngo.

Please ignore all comments from the troll NW Male.

mlgb Oct 11th, 2022 10:51 AM

I'm not clear on your exact check in and out dates, but for two nights the Ayers is about $400 total, half the price of the Westdrift. (Check hotels.com where there is a bit of a sale on today for Silver VIPs). Similar price differentials if booked direct. Be sure to include the parking difference $20 vs $45 per day. That pays for a damn nice dinner.

If you want to search for the Ayers on hotels.com use Hawthorne as the location, not Manhattan Beach.

The two hotels are barely a mile apart, BTW. Both on Rosecrans west of the 405. Ayers overall rating on booking.com is 8.8 vs 8.3 for Westdrift. Hotels.com 9.2 Ayers vs 8.8 Westdrift.

SaltysMom Oct 11th, 2022 03:03 PM

Thank you Joan! I booked the Westdrift - it looks perfect for us. I love all your restaurant suggestions. Thank you! I'm sure one will fit the bill perfectly! Thank you to all for taking the time to respond. It helped a lot!

Surfergirl Nov 2nd, 2022 06:52 PM

Now that you have your hotel booked, I'd suggest you get your parking immediately if you haven't already. I checked for December 25th and the closest parking at $70 (I know, outrageous!) at the Forum. Go to parkwhiz.com to get your parking pass. Having been to sofi and youtube for concerts, I am well aware of the paucity of parking at the location. And getting ubers will cost more than the $70 mentioned.