Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sedona walks/hikes/scenery (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sedona-walks-hikes-scenery-697312/)

Myer Apr 16th, 2007 07:24 AM

Sedona walks/hikes/scenery

Background.

I'm in my early 60s and capable of walking all day. I live in South Florida so I'm used to warm weather.

My hobbies are photography and seeing things I haven't seen before (scenery).

I've never been hiking but don't mind relatively easy hikes (it's the steep hills and drop-offs that may be a problem).

I'll be in Sedona for two full days (arrive late afternoon of day 0 and leave early morning of day 3.

I've been looking up the various hikes in the Sedona area and came up with dozens.

Help!!!

Which would provide me with the best scenery (canyons and Red Rocks sights, I guess) for the effort?

Thanks.

TahitiTams Apr 16th, 2007 08:51 AM

Boynton Canyon is the most scenic IMO of all the trails in Sedona..
Truly stunning!

Myer Apr 16th, 2007 09:55 AM

Thanks Tahiti.

At the present time my short list is:
Bell Rock Pathway
Devil's Bridge
Boynton Canyon
Airport Mesa Trails
West Fork

Just trying to tweek (add/subtract) my list

Filloa Apr 16th, 2007 10:24 AM

Myer, if you are interested about Boyton Canyon Trail, you can get detailed info at this web:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/rec...ynton-tr.shtml

It is described as an easy hike.

Myer Apr 16th, 2007 10:36 AM

Filloa,
Thanks.

I've already printed out all of the hikes from that web site that interested me.

Now I'm trying to refine my list with recommendations.

Filloa Apr 16th, 2007 11:01 AM

Please, let us know what trail you do and how it was. I will probably travel to Sedona on July and it would be helpful to know your impressions. I am at my thirties, but pregnant... so I will need also easy hikes.

USNR Apr 16th, 2007 11:02 AM

In which month do you plan to hike? Mid-day temps in summer can be quite high, but air is very dry. Take plenty of water. Do NOT hike alone. If you do, make sure you let someone know where you plan to go and when you plan to be back. Make sure you know what time it is; during daylight savings, Arizona is three hours behind Florida (we stay on standard time year round -- don't ask me why). Carry a cell phone if you have one. In summer be sure to wear sunscreen, a hat, and again take plenty of water. Check in at the Chamber of Commerce Visitors Center in uptown Sedona to get current trail info and also check in at the Sedona Ranger Station, too. Lots of free info and maps. Most important pieces of equipment: an alert brain and comfortable shoes...and enough water. Why? Because some tenderfoot hikers and assorted greenhorns go into the back country alone, without telling anyone, and never are seen alive again. I kid you not.

Myer Apr 16th, 2007 12:24 PM

Filloa, I will write a report when I get back. I'm going near the beginning of June. I like those long days.

USNR,
Thanks. If you wrote your post in verital order, it would be a safety guide to the area.

While I'm going alone, I expect the places I'll be visiting will be quite crowded.

I have a cell phone, am planning on plenty of water, already have my wide-brimmed hat and extra strong sun screen.

I have purchased above-the-ankle boots. I'm still trying to decide on the exact size (decisions are always a problem with feet). Then I'll start wearing them on evening walks during the last month before going.

While I excersize several times a week, I'll be intensifying during the month of May.

Alert brain. Well, I still work so my brain is probably as alert as its ever been. The problem is keeping it that way.

Your advice is very good.

I'll call home each morning with my list of destinations for the day and approximate duration and then again as each is completed.

USNR Apr 16th, 2007 12:32 PM

Myer: the most important ingredient to a fine Sedona experience is....have fun.

emd Apr 17th, 2007 05:18 AM

Please do not assume that the hikes you will take are going to be crowded. We have hiked all the hikes you listed. Sometimes we see a lot of people, and sometimes (like one time on Devil's Bridge and twice in Boynton Canyon) we saw no one else. There are a lot of hikes to choose from and on any given day you may or may not see anyone else, although on Bell Rock and West Fork you are more likely to see someone than not. Be prepared to stay overnight outside (water, energy bars, flashlight, emergency blanket, etc.) in case you are stuck alone w/a sprained/broken ankle.

Myer Apr 17th, 2007 06:13 AM

emd,
Sounds ominous. Not crazy about the broken ankle part.

I'll be there on a weekend (actually part of Saturday, Sunday and Monday) which should increase the number of people.

However, you bring up a good point. I'll be prepared for emergencies but still try to enjoy myself.

zootsi Apr 17th, 2007 06:47 AM

We did the Devils Bridge hike a few years ago and had a great time. The hike was about 1/2 day roundtrip, and fairly easy. A little scary walking across the 'bridge', especially if you don't like heights, but pretty safe, and very scenic. We went in mid April, and the temps were in the low 80s.
PS: I believe you need a parking permit to do most of the hikes in Sedona, which you can get in town.
We also did the Airport Vortex, which is a short scramble up to the top, and very 'new agey' (feel the vibes and meditate!)

LindainOhio Apr 17th, 2007 09:10 AM

Boynton Canyon is a pretty hike but it is a box canyon hike and I was actually more impressed with the hikes that gave me panoramic views.

Check out the description of the Brins Mesa Trail on www.hikearizona.com. You hike to the rim of a mesa which has a spectacular view. There are several places to start this trail--take a trail map with you and on all the hikes in Sedona, when you can't figure out where to go, look for cairns(piles of rocks)and follow them.

Doe Mountain had the best views for the least effort. It's about 15 minutes away from Enchantment Resort and Boynton Canyon. Hike in the morning so that you have shade. A series of switchbacks lead up to the top which is actually a mesa. At the top walk around to all the edges--great views all the way around.

Then there is the very popular Red Rock Crossingwith the famous views of Cathedral Rock.

Also sunset at Airport Mesa.

Myer Apr 17th, 2007 10:15 AM

zootsie & Lindain,

Thanks,
After reviewing a bunch of trails last evening, Doe Mountain and Brins Mesa had been moved up in priority.

I arrive late in the afternoon on day 0 and don't leave until the morning of day 3. I wonder how much I can do in that amount of time. I'm used to walking all day on trips but the heat and terrain may limit things somewhat.

I'm usually surprised at how much I can get done. We'll see.

I have 3 sunsets and 3 sunrises. Sunset at Red Rock Crossing and sunrise at Airport Mesa are on the list. I'll go from there.

Thanks again.

TheWeasel Apr 17th, 2007 01:44 PM

Brins Mesa was hit by the fire last summer, so you may want to check some recent hike reports to see what it looks like now.

USNR Apr 17th, 2007 03:13 PM

Brins Mesa is a charred wasteland from the June 18-22, 2006, fire. Give it time and it will return, but only a few green sprouts have shown their heads. We need rain, of course. And time. Other than a those few acres (out of thousand and thousands and thousands of beautiful scenery), it is hard to tell what a close call we had last summer. In Oak Creek Canyon, the fire came down to the west edge of the road in a few spots. Otherwise, no noticeable damage.

Myer Apr 17th, 2007 03:51 PM

USNR, Thanks.

Isn't it great to have a local expert who just sticks his/her head out the window and gives us the conditions?

Brins Mesa has just dropped down.

Have any of the others on my list been affected?

USNR Apr 17th, 2007 05:31 PM

No. You have a good list. You might want to visit our two state parks. Red Rock State Park west of town off Lower Red Rock Loop Road. Slide Rock State Park in the heart of Oak Creek Canyon, seven miles north on 89A. Both great for scenery, water, photography, picnics, hiking. Be sure to drive up on top of Airport Mesa late in the afternoon. Today: 60-mile visibility, cool, almost cloudless.

Myer Apr 18th, 2007 09:36 AM

USNR,

I read somewhere it's Cathedral Rock Crossing for sunset and Airport Mesa for sunrise.

Is thst correct or will I have to do each at each time of day? I have 3 of each.

Thanks.

USNR Apr 18th, 2007 11:45 AM

It's Red Rock Crossing in late afternoon and Airport Mesa at sundown.

Easy to do both.