Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sedona Slide Rock Park (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sedona-slide-rock-park-459276/)

sweetdreams Jul 12th, 2004 03:20 PM

Sedona Slide Rock Park

How late in the fall can a family enjoy Slide Rock Park? Is it even open for sliding after summer? What is there to do in the park if it is too cold?

emd Jul 12th, 2004 03:41 PM

The hours are an easy internet search away. Check: http://www.pr.state.az.us/parks/park...l;iderock.html
Yes, they have winter hours.
There are trailheads at the park, but they are not anywhere near the best(or even the second tier) hikes in Sedona or Oak Creek Canyon , IMO. But I have seen really cool pictures of what happens at Sldie Rock in the dead of winter when parts of Oak Creek freeze, if you are there in winter.
IMO, there are better places to visit on Oak Creek in late fall. How late- will you be there for changing leaves and fall colors? If so, try West Fork trail, a bit further up in the canyon, or the other trails up that way.

emd Jul 12th, 2004 03:43 PM

oops, that should read: www.pr.state.az.us/parks/parkhtml/sliderock.html

sweetdreams Jul 12th, 2004 03:46 PM

Thanks emd. Our visit is over Thanksgiving, and I'm trying to figure out what the climate will be like then. I don't think there will be any foliage left then, right? And it looks to be too early to ski, right?

Little_Man Jul 12th, 2004 04:22 PM

Just watch out for your rear end if it is open! My kids and hubby said it kinda hurt!
My guess is that it would be too cold...

emd Jul 12th, 2004 05:46 PM

November, even around Thankgsgivng, through Christmas is my very favorite time of year in Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. Crisp mornings (and it can be down to 30s in early a.m.) so you can layer up and hike, and then strip off layers because by mid-day it warms up on most days, to the 50s or even higher- perfect outdoor weather. I've only worn a heavy down coat once in late January to hike. Most often, I wear a silk undershirt, a zip up fleece and maybe, if it is really cold and I am going put before sunrise to hike and see the sunrise, I might take a very lightweight shell to top it off before the sun comes up. It's lovely weather that time of year. I say you can do almost anything you can do other times of the year, except swim in Oak Creek. Great hiking time. Great horseback riding time. There is no skiing right in Sedona, you realize that, right? It is not that high in elevation and there are no ski areas. When it snows it is usually a dusting (w/some exceptions). But if you go up Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff (40 min wonderful scenic drive) there are some ski areas there I believe- although I have not used them. There is a ski list that even runs in summer up there, so I know there is skiing, it is something like "the ___bowl" ski area. Search for it on the internet w/Flagstaff and you'll find it.

What are your other interests? The very nice Festival of Lights will be on then. And right around Thanksgiving the Christmas music performances and lights and festivities start at Tlaquepaque.

Even if you don't usually hike as a family, there are very easy flat hikes that are stunning around Sedona. Are you interested in that, or anything else? Excellent biking for older kids w/parents (you can easily rent bikes). My kids have been going there w/me in fal and winter since ages 6 and 8, and most recently at ages 11 and 13. They love that time of year.

sweetdreams Jul 12th, 2004 07:10 PM

Sedona is one of those places we whizzed through and promised to return. Our agenda wishlist so far includes a Pink Jeep Tour, a Grand Canyon motorcoach tour (thought it might be advised due to weather conditions), moderate hiking, and possible daytrips with even some new age/vortex education. Arizonasnowball was an afterthought since we have members in our party who have never skied.
Also any feedback on Sunterra Summit?

emd Jul 13th, 2004 02:59 AM

That sounds so good. I would call the snowbowl or check online (thanks for clearing up that name, I couldn't think of it). They should be open, as I have seen references their their lift being run in summer as a way to view the scenery at elevation) and hopefully you can ask about Thanksgiving. I have seen very significant snowfall in Flag in early Dec. Do you have the Mangum's Sedona Hikes trail book? Excellent resource, and they rank the hikes (very accurately IMO) as to level of difficulty, and describe why they are the level assigned.
Is Sunterra Summit the Sunterra resprt property in West Sedona? If so, it is close to Red Rock State Park. I have heard it is nice, but have no first-hand expereince. Someone I know went to a timeshare presentation there. If you are there for a full moon, check out the full moon tours at the RRS Park; you hike up to a high vista late evening w/a ranger and watch the full moon rise. There is great moderate hiking (Devil's Bridge and Fay Canyon Arch, and Lost Canyon w/ruins perched in a canyon) just on the other side of 89A in Boynton Canyon close to that resort, and also on the same side of 89A as the resort you have Red Rock Crossing, etc. You are making me wish I was going this fall.

sweetdreams Jul 13th, 2004 03:51 PM

The calendar forecasts a full moon while we are there, so we may be in for a rare treat. Is there any need to prearrange the RRS Park full moon tours?
Thanks for your enthusiasm

emd Jul 13th, 2004 08:04 PM

Oh, that's great! Yes, I would call RRSS before you go and get info on the timing of the moonrise hike that night and sign up. We were in Scottsdale for a week before we went to Sedona and we called from there, and went on the hike at the end of a second week spent in Sedona. The hike was full when we went (about 20 people). we met some nice people on the hike, and the guide was a local park volunteer. Afterwards they had huge telescopes set up so you could see planets. You need flashlights for the hike. You climb up pretty high (takes about 45 min.) although it is not steep by any means, it is a slow grade up and a good trail. I highly recommend it. The moon is so big and bright and seems so close when you get up there.