Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sedona restaurants-help needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sedona-restaurants-help-needed-574733/)

JVS Dec 6th, 2005 06:28 AM

Sedona restaurants-help needed

If you were a local in Sedona, which restaurant would you like to have a gift certificate? Also, what is the best Sushi restaurant there?

Curt Dec 6th, 2005 11:17 AM

Not a local but did not care for the Mexican place in the shopping center that looks like a Mexican village (sorry can not recall name of either). The shopping center was very nice however, we just did not care for that Mexican place, the food was so-so and the service very uneven. Not worth what it cost.

Fairhope Dec 6th, 2005 11:21 AM

Cucina Rustica was what was rec. to us by locals

USNR Dec 6th, 2005 05:12 PM

Curt: the place is El Rincon de Tlaquepaque (the shopping center, as you put it). Agree with your comments.

Good places: Judi's, Shugrue's Hillside, The Brewery (in Tlaquepaque).

Sushi: in Old Marketplace.

rain_monkey03 Dec 8th, 2005 03:32 PM

The brewery is nice. That mexican restaurant had decent food and a good view but the service was extrememly slow. I would go with the brewery but that's the only other place I've been in Sedona besides McD's

emd Dec 11th, 2005 05:18 AM

USNR: How is Keiser's, the other place run by Judi in west Sedona?

Judy24 Dec 11th, 2005 05:27 AM

Our favorite is Robert's Creekside Cafe.

emd Dec 11th, 2005 06:13 AM

Judy: Robert's is apparently closed. It closed this fall. Google it and you'll see some talk about the closure.

emd Dec 11th, 2005 06:26 AM

I just found a real estate listing for leasing the space that Robert's Creekside cafe was in - it says Robert's closed in 12/04.

Judy24 Dec 11th, 2005 06:58 AM

Oh no! I'm so disappointed, and quite frankly, surprised.

Thanks for the info, emd. I did a Google search, but didn't see anything relating to the closure other than the real estate listing you mention. Anyone want to chip in and buy it for a mere $695,000?

I'm just so surprised because it almost always got good reviews. In fact, I first heard about it on the AOL travel boards, and everyone there was crazy about it. To the point that they were also posting the secret recipes for their fabulous spicy chestnut soup and spiral onion rolls. I also remember them as being super friendly.

Maybe they were too nice and lacked business expertise?

emd Dec 11th, 2005 09:13 AM

The "review" section at yahoo.com travel says that Robert left "under interesting circumstances"...copy and paste this into your address bar and you'll see it...

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-28...VeTjc8XLA0FmoL

MikePinTucson Dec 11th, 2005 04:55 PM

I would second Shugrue's Hillside. Also, the Cowboy Club is really good for steaks (including buffalo steaks).

There is also an Italian restaurant that many people have suggested, but I don't recall the name.

amwosu Dec 11th, 2005 05:44 PM

Italian? Dahl & Diluca?

emd Dec 11th, 2005 06:42 PM

Takashi is well-regarded for sushi and many other Japnese foods (see their varied and full online menu), although I have not been there yet. I am going there for the first time two weeks from tomorrow night.

emd Dec 12th, 2005 01:51 AM

I really like a little Japanese restaurant in the Village of Oak Creek, which is just a few miles before Sedona proper. This area is right before you get to Bell Rock and Cathedral Rock. The place is called Minami. Very small and intimate - the sushi chef is within talking range of the 12 or so tables. Small sushi bar and very nice owner and staff. A good place to go chat with locals. Not the best sushi I have ever had, but it is good and no matter what you order, everyone gets a bowl of miso with their meal, plus a small dish of edamae.

USNR Dec 12th, 2005 10:28 AM

emd: we ate once at Keiser's. Good barbecue sandwich for lunch.

emd Dec 12th, 2005 02:56 PM

Thanks, USNR. Our rental house ina neighborhood at the turnoff to go up to the airport, so we are hoping to eat at some places in walking distance (up to a mile or so).

MikePinTucson Dec 12th, 2005 03:46 PM

I think it was Dahl & Deluccas. Did some searching here and found this thread, which talks about a number of Sedona Restaurants.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...amp;dirtyBit=1

USNR Dec 12th, 2005 04:55 PM

emd: closest good place to where you will be staying is Judi's, a smallish place in the little shopping plaza where Soldier Pass Road intersects Hwy. 89A. Ribs are extra good. Lunch specials are fine. Locals love it.

Good pizza & salad lunch: Picazzo's, just a couple blocks further west.

Understand that the restaurant up at the airport is good.

Best Mexican: Javelina Cantina in the Hillside Shopping Center on Hwy. 179. Run by Shugrue's. He has an upscale place in that same center -- Shugrue's Hillside Grill.

emd Dec 12th, 2005 05:37 PM

Thanks, USNR. I know Shugrue's, have been there several times and may go for New Year's Eve this year.

I have Judi's booked for our first dinner in Sedona, and will check out the others too. Also looking forward to just throwing steaks on the grill by the hot tub under the stars a few nights (and veggie burgers for my vegetarian daughter). Ahhhh.