Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sedona/Monument Valley/Canyon de Chelley (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sedona-monument-valley-canyon-de-chelley-65471/)

lin delamaine Mar 15th, 2000 09:55 AM

Sedona/Monument Valley/Canyon de Chelley

We have five days and will fly into Phoenix and stay the first night at Sedona. Spend sometime (morning) in Sedona and then want to go to Monument Valley and on to Canyon de Chelly. We don't want to drive too much and will go in late September. Any suggestions/tips, etc?

howard Mar 15th, 2000 11:18 AM

Lin, a few suggestions/tips: <BR>1. I'd spend at least one more day in the Sedona area. And, among other things, take a Pink Jeep Tour in Sedona. You'll still have plenty of time to enjoy Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly (one day in each gives you sufficient time to fully enjoy each). In fact, I would spend a couple days in Sedona and then drive directly to Monument Valley. <BR>2. Definitely stay at Goulding's Lodge at Monument Valley (435-727-3231--I think that's the new area code; if not, try 801). Each room has a balcony that faces the monuments. Definitely make reservations soon, as it fills up. When you are there, make sure you get up before dawn, go onto the balcony-with camera in hand--and watch the sun coming up. It's truly a thrilling sight. <BR>3. For Canyon de Chelly, the most convenient place to stay is the Thunderbird Lodge in Chinle (520-674-5841). <BR>4. Definitely take a tour in each place conducted by the Native Americans. Both are excellent.

Karen Mar 15th, 2000 01:52 PM

Definitely stay where Howard says.. no where else. But, I would leave Phoenix and drive direct to Monument Valley, have lunch and take the afternoon tour...then the next day, drive to Canyon de Chelly, take the afternoon tour and leave the next a.m. for two nights at Sedona. The tours at both places take about three hours. We usually leave Phoenix by 7a.m. and have no trouble getting there by lunch time.

Vickie Mar 15th, 2000 02:35 PM

Definitely spend two nights in Sedona. This beautiful area offers magnificient red rock views, especially at sunset. If you are looking for a great place to stay for a moderate price...try Sky Ranch. This small, quaint hotel offers wonderful views of the red rocks. A pink jeep tour is also worth going on if you would like to see some red rock backcountry. You will have an adequate amount of time if you spend one day in Monument Valley and one day at Canyon de Chelly. I would also recommend stopping by Lake Powell(in Page, AZ) and taking a scenic (calm water) rafting trip down the Colorada River (weather permitting). The views beneath the canyon walls are totally magnificient. I have only been to AZ in the months of April, May and June. I am not sure how the weather is in September. Either way these areas are beautiful. If you have never been to the Grand Canyon, this is a MUST SEE as well. Have FUN!!

Bob Brown Mar 15th, 2000 05:40 PM

Well, there is one in every crowd. So I guess it is my lot to be the nay sayer about Canyon de Chelly. The canyon itself is a monochromatic red sandstone gully with splotches of desert varnish giving a little dark color to the canuon walls. The tour is (was for us) in an open air truck with seats for the passengers. There is not much of a chance to do any exploring on your own inside the gates. <BR>The Indian guide tells the story from the Indian point of view. That is interesting because you get history from their point of view. But there are many places in that desert country that are more spectacular to my eyes. <BR>If you are trading the Grand Canyon against de Chelly, you are probably giving up a chance to see one of nature's great spectaculars. <BR> <BR>I guess I got a little ticked off at the way our guide ran through his spiel. <BR>He would point to some obscure landmark on the canyon wall and start his ramble from there. If you failed to pick it up right away, you never saw what he was talking about. There was no going back and replaying the tape! I don't think I saw much of what he was describing.

Al Mar 15th, 2000 05:58 PM

You might do yourself a favor and telephone 1-800-288-7336 during business hours and request a copy of the 70-page color booklet, "Experience Sedona." It's free. The Sedona Chamber of Commerce Visitors Bureau provides it. Because it is bulk-mailed, count on two or three weeks for mail delivery.