Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sedona Hilton Resort...I've read reviews saying there are roaches....has anyone been there in the last week? Is this true?

Search

Sedona Hilton Resort...I've read reviews saying there are roaches....has anyone been there in the last week? Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help here. We've got reservations for the Sedona Hilton Resort and Spa and I've come across several reviews (one on Travelocity, one on TripAdvisor) where the person said there were roaches and the pool was filthy. Has anyone stayed there in the last week or two? Is this true? It looked so nice on the website and got nice reviews. Husband thinks its the competition posting that kind of thing. I am tempted to find another place to stay but don't want to if this is simply not true.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 04:36 AM

I notice that the tripadvisor review mentioning roaches is very recent, so it's possible that there's a problem that hasn't existed before. However, on my stay two years ago, I found everything to be spotless, and was very pleased with the place. And it does sound as if management was responsive to the problem. It also gets good reviews on the AOL Sedona message board.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:38 PM

We stayed at the Hilton Sedona in early April... it was MAGNIFICENT! The grounds are beautiful - and beautifully maintained, the suites are lovely... decor and layout. We opted for a guaranteed Red Rock View and it was AWESOME! We utilized their fitness center while there and it was fabulous! The food in their restaurant was very good, and the service was excellent! I never saw a roach, only a few little lizards OUTSIDE! I do have to say that the best restaurants at times get roaches... they come in from food shipments, etc... so I suppose it's possible that someone may have seen one... but that is something that could happen anywhere... even the Enchantment!
The Hilton Sedona was a BEAUTIFUL resort that helped make my vacation in Sedona Magical!
Enjoy!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:15 PM
emd

I have a story about critters. At Enchantment, I opened the door to my room, closed it and turned around to walk and there were 5 javelinas staring at me! I was afraid if I opened the door and went back in the room that they would run in, and what would I do then w/5 javelinas in the room w/me- ask them to if they wanted to take a whirlpool bath or lounge by the fireplace? So I tried to walk by them nonchalantly, and they charged at me! I RAN FULL SPEED all the way to the main bldg.
All in all, it was better having javelinas charge at me than it would have been if there had been roaches in the room. It was more fun anyway (after it was over and I changed my slacks, if you catch my drift).
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 07:42 AM

Cute story, emd. Sounds like the Enchantment is the place to go for all sport enthusists - some rec program they have there! Great motivators, them javelinas, huh? What did the resort staff have to say about them? Nothing unusual for them parts? My wife is gonna love her visit there - I can just see her in such circumstances. Wow!
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 07:51 AM
emd

When I ran in shaking and suggested that they might want to let the guests know about the javelinas, the front desk people just looked at me and said, "It's part of the landscape." Then they all went in the back where I couldn't see them and I heard them laughing their arses off. It was pretty funny, I must have looked scared out of my mind. I made one of the front desk guys drive me back to my room in the little golf carts they use, and I asked him to get out and walk me to the door. After that, I always opened my door slowly and peeked out to see if the coast was clear before I walked out.
But then, I saw alot of fresh bobcat tracks in my early morning hikes around there too. It actually IS part of the landscape. Most of the critters do stay out of your way, but some will stand their ground.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 06:05 AM

We spent 1 week in Sedona last Aug at a time share. It was beautiful and clean, but at night the roaches come out - only OUTSIDE! We unknowingly brought a few into the room after using the pool at night, but never saw any in the building other than that.

In tropical or desert climates you are bound to find some critters. The hotels and other buildings can treat the interiors, but can't do much about the great outdoors! We also found a tarantula (dead) while staying there - my boys loved it!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 10:07 AM

BBear. What did you all do during your 7 days in Sedona? We're only going to be there 2 nights and trying to figure out what our priorities might be. Though we won't have any kids with us. Your comments about the outside roaches reminds me of our living in Florida where the Palmeto Bugs there are much as you described. Of course we'd agree with you that you have to expect some of this in such areas. You wouldn't think Sedona Hilton would not treat for roaches, but who's to say?
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Ibaboyd,
Our activities really centered around the kids while in Sedona - Hummer tour, Slide Rock State Park, golf for DH. We also used it as a base for day trips to Grand Canyon, Wupatki & Sunset Crater Volcano, Meteor Crater, etc. We loved Sedona, but my guess is that you may choose different activities than we did.I also made the mistake of doing Canyon de Chelley as a day trip - 4hr drive each way! Oh well, live and learn!

It was very HOT (102-104) while we were there, so spent afternoons either by the pool or in air conditioning.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 06:21 PM
emd

Ibaboyd: Have you searched for posts on Sedona? I know there are alot of them, but several people, including myself, have given ideas recently on options re how to spend 48-72 hours (or more if you are lucky) in the Sedona area. I've been there with and without my family (I have a good friend who is also a business colleague who owns at Junipine, lucky me) so you might want to check my old posts. I haven't been there in August- but I went in late June a few yrs ago and you wil want to be sure you can stay cool and hydrated- that is a priority in summer.
The only hike I can imagine doing in August is perhaps the West Fork trail, which is up in Oak Creek Canyon and is tree covered and pretty deep in the canyon.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Hi emd and bbear: thanks for the comeback thoughts. I have read several posts on Sedona - all quite helpful - I just wanted to get the benefit of bbear's recent thoughts. We will be there the end of Sept. so weather should be cooler, I'd guess. We will take in Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly (one night stay at each) just before Sedona. Like I said, I enjoy each travelers' comments on this board - they have really been a help with our itenaray and planned activities, even though there are differences in most of our cases.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:41 PM
emd

There are also great options for spending a day in Flagstaff, 40 min up Oak Creek Canyon (and a very scenic drive up that canyon) to higher and cooler elevations. You might want to look into doing that one afternoon when the heat gets to you. Lots to do in Flag.