Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sedona, Grand Canyon & Monument Valley (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sedona-grand-canyon-and-monument-valley-63381/)

Pam Feb 22nd, 2000 08:15 AM

Sedona, Grand Canyon & Monument Valley

My husband and I are planning a driving trip through Arizona. Is it possible to drive from Sedona to Monument Valley, tour through the valley, and then drive to the Grand Canyon in the same day? <BR>Thanks! <BR>

Hal Feb 22nd, 2000 08:55 AM

You could feasibly do it, but I don't think you'd really have time to enjoy the views. My wife and I took the same tour route you're speaking of (starting in Phoenix). The landscape changes dramatically and there are plenty of places to stop and have a look. <BR> <BR>We tend to rush things, so we spent a few hrs in Sedona and headed for the Grand Canyon. It seemed like we'd never get there. Spent about 3-4 hrs. there in the late afternoon(I know most people spend more time), then headed for Monument Valley. We didn't feel comfortable travelling in the desert at night, so we stopped in Page, AZ which is right on the border. Then we headed for Monument Valley the next day and took the driving tour of the place. I don't think you're supposed to take rental car 4-wheeling/off-roading, but hey, what are ya gonna do? Then headed for Moab, UT (mecca for mtn. biking, rafting, etc.) and then headed for Vegas the day after. <BR> <BR>I know this wound up being like Cliff's Notes for a trip report, but there is so much to see and do in the Southwest that you can spend days at a time in just about any given location. Make sure you have drinking water and keep your gas tank full!

Karen Feb 22nd, 2000 12:00 PM

I think that trip would be almost impossible if you plan to see the sights. What we usually do is leave Phoenix early a.m., and arrive at Goulding's Lodge at Monument Valley, have lunch and go on the afternoon tour. The tour is three hours...we then return to Goulding's for dinner and the night. In the a.m. we leave for the Grand Canyon, have lunch, poke around a while and drive on down to Flagstaff and on over to Sedona the next day. Monument Valley is so fantastic, you would not do the trip justice to just see it from the entrance and not go on the full tour...and then, of course, if you haven't been to the Grand Canyon, you could spend loads of time seeing the sunrise, sunset and stop at the stops all along the canyon rim. If you start in Sedona early, you could get to Monument Valley or the Grand Canyon for lunch and spend the night at either and go on over to the other one. Another location you would love is Canyon de Chelly, which we visited for the first time this fall...it was unbelievably gorgeous and interesting. <BR>V

howard Feb 22nd, 2000 12:32 PM

The driving can be done, but you'd have time just to wave at these two national treasure! Bluntly, it would just about be a waste of time and you'd be depriving yourself of the joy of really seeing them. <BR>First, to really appreciate Monument Valley, you've not only got to go through it, but also stay overnight at Goulding's Lodge and watch the sun come up over the monuments, a truly thrilling site. (And, as Karen said, while in the area of Monument Valley, you should also go the Canyon de Chelley.) <BR>As for the Grand Canyon, hey, it's one of the seven wonders of the world. That alone should tell you it's worth more of your time! <BR>I'm curious: What else on you doing on this trip that restricts you to such a short time at these sites? <BR>

redneck Feb 22nd, 2000 12:54 PM

I think you could do this trip easily. <BR>If you go at night there is less traffic and you can drive faster so that you go past more. <BR> <BR>Seriously, the distances are big out there and the scenery is wonderful. <BR>Why not plan for time to see a smaller area well so that you can enjoy it. <BR> <BR>My dad used to roar through those places because vacation success was measured in miles per day, miles per gallon of gas, and economical motel prices. (Quick Henry, the Flit.) <BR>Then he would pull into an overlook and say "OK back in the car; we can look at the pictures when we get home." Problem: he often had no film. <BR>I can remember one trip that allowed 4 hours on the valley floor at Yosemite. <BR>Look at El Capitan, walk up to the first view of Nevada Falls, eat, and leave. <BR>And another that involved spending two nights, one day, in Yellowstone. See Old Faithful, see Lake Yellowstone, see Falls, see Mammoth Hot Springs, sleep, go -- and not to the Tetons because we didn't have time. Had to keep that miles per day average up. <BR>Don't do that. Please. <BR>(For those of you who were not around a few decades back, Flit was an insectiside. You used a pump gun to spray it on the pesky varmints. I think it was stink oil that disabled the insects and the smell made the user think it was doing something.) <BR>Not to worry, I raised my son right. <BR>He spent 5 days in Yellowstone last summer, and gave both boys time to get their junior ranger certificates. And my wife and I gazed at the wonder of Grand Geyser erupting under a full moon. Try it; its beautiful.