Sedona/Gr.Canyon advice?

Jan 16th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Sedona/Gr.Canyon advice?

We'll be in Sedona the end of Feb. and would appreciate ideas for a reasonably priced hotel or inn with southwest flavor and charm. We'd like to be within walking distance of the main attractions, but will have a car. Southwest Inn at Sedona looks interesting. Also, is driving to the South Rim of the Gr. Canyon a good idea at this time of year?
Jan 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Also, is driving to the South Rim of the Gr. Canyon a good idea at this time of year?

Usually the roads are clear of ice and snow and it's a great idea to drive up to the Canyon from Sedona.

However every few weeks a storm front with snow rolls thru, making the roads slippery for a day or two (or three).

So I'd just wait until you arrive and check on local conditions before deciding.
Jan 16th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. Where would you suggest to spend the night in the South Rim area?
Jan 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
J62

Wherever you can get a room!

www.xanterra.com is the concessionaire that runs the hotels there. Several are right on the rim. El Tovar (historic hotel, small rooms, higher $), Bright Angel, and two others that are non-descript (Kachina and Thunderbird).

All of these are basically right next to each other, so location is basically the same.

There are also two hotels in the village area but not right on the rim - Maswick and Yavapai. I've stayed at Yavapai and it's just fine. Basic hotel rooms - nothing fancy. It's about 1/2 mile from the rim, so you take a convenient shuttle bus around.

Given an option I'd say stay at one of the places right on the rim so you can just walk out and be there.

Search this Thread