Reload this Page >

Recent Stay @ Squaw Peak in Phoenix?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Mel

Has anyone stayed recently stayed at the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak? We're booked there in the last week in March. I've read all the archived comments, but nothing is from the last couple of months. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone!

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 08:28 AM
tom

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 02:53 PM
tom

to the top again

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:45 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 04:45 AM
xxx

ttt

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 10:03 AM
melinda

We were there in 2000 and had a nice time as we have kids. Without kids I would not want to go. The rooms are dated but huge. We had one with a conference size table that sat 8 in our dining area. Nice little kitchen complete with a steady stream of ants. The air conditioner made so much racket. It was central air but loud at night. I thought the hotel was not centrally located for our needs but found it price wise a good deal and just a great place if you had kids. I would return although the Princess in Scottsdale would be another of my choices. We enjoyed Roy's on Camelback for dinner and PF Changs for lunch and a Roaring Forks for SW food.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 04:17 PM
mel

So here it is - a trip report for Phoenix & Squaw Peak during Spring break 2002. The hotel is (as other posters have said) - great for (and full of) kids and families.

The staff was unfailingly polite, friendly helpful and upbeat. The rooms were immaculate, as were the pools, the waterpark, the tennis courts and spa. I saw many, many workers cleaning the main pool areas - picking up towells, clearing plates and used cups, generally straightening up immediately after the guests. That was impressive.
The water park was terrific fun for my 7 year old - he played tennis in the morning and spent hours almost every day in the pool. He liked having lunch by the pool, and got a kick out of raising the flag signal on the lounge chair. Although he did not try the kids camp - we had two friends there whose children did try it and both kids were enthusuastic and wanted to go back. I observed several of the camp counselors and their groups during the stay and was impressed - the counselors seemed attentive and kids were hanging all over them, having a great time with them.

The down side - the Squaw Peak "suites" - essentially a 300 square foot standard hotel room broken into two areas - a bedroom and a small ling area with a sofa bed, seperated by a counter, a sink, a mini fridge and coffee maker - are dark, boringly decorated and noisy. Kids (and adults) run up and down the halls talking and shouting and have little regard for other guests. A much better option are the one or two bedroom casitas.

And FYI -when we originally booked (directly through the hotel) I was quoted a price of $260. for a suite w/ an Amex card for the last week of March,and $550 per night for a one bedroom casita. We decided to go cheap, only to learn upon arrival that friends had booked a casita thru Expedia for $270. for some of the same nights !! After three days, we negotiated an upgrade to a casita for the remainder of our stay for a total of $100. Once again proving how negotiable hotel pricing really is. The other downside of Squaw Peak (other than the expected mediocre food) is how truly limited their tv selections were for kids. Even though we don't watch tv that much, in this day and age to advertise as a "family hotel" and only have Disney Channel and Fox family, and not offering Nickelodeon and/or Cartoon Network seems rather absurd.

Other Phoenix highlights - very good meals at Restaurant Hapa and Leccabafi in Scottsdale and Convivo very near Squaw Peak. We also had an incredible trip on the Apache Trail - a spectacular drive and hike - very memorable.

All in all, a good family vaction spot.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Kathy

Just come back from this resort on 4-09. While not the most lavish of hotels, the service was wonderful especially Joann at the Concierge Desk and the kids program was the best (even better liked than on Princess and RCCL cruises per my 7 year old). The pool area was perfect whether you are 6 or 60. But you will probably enjoy it more if you are there with your kids during the busy family vacation months. We ate in all the restaurants on the property and they were decent. The filet at The Hole in The Wall was very good. We didn't care much for the Latina Grill but that was probably due more to our taste than the food.

If anyone has questions, I can try to answer.

Thanks for all the help before my trip.

Kathy