Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Secrets for getting free hotel upgrades? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/secrets-for-getting-free-hotel-upgrades-364866/)

jjdwyer Oct 9th, 2003 02:10 PM

Secrets for getting free hotel upgrades?

We are staying at the Aston Waikiki Joy in Honolulu next week, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for getting upgrades. I hear about people getting them all the time--is it pretty standard if the hotel is not full? We are staying Tuesday-Saturday--does the timing make any difference? We booked a standard room and don't really mind if that's what we get--not planning to spend much time in the room. But it would be nice to get a better room if possible. Any suggestions/past experience would be appreciated.

Patrick Oct 9th, 2003 02:17 PM

Does the Aston chain have a "club" membership available online for free sign-up? If so, joining it is your first step to getting an upgrade.

jjdwyer Oct 9th, 2003 05:22 PM

I checked on Aston's web site and couldn't find any info on "club membership."

artlover Oct 9th, 2003 05:29 PM

Just try asking nicely--all they can say is "no", right? I just did this at the Marriott in SF and ended up with a junior suite (they didn't even know I got the room for $75 on priceline). I don't know if the fact I gave them a Marriott visa helped, but it seems to me that hotels will give you an upgrade if there's an availability, and like I said--it doesn't hurt to ask.

Pumpy Oct 9th, 2003 05:54 PM

Unfortunately, there's no magic answer. However, I've noticed that looks and the always popular green ($$$)help tremendously. FYI - I short on the first and marginal on the second...

Scarlett Oct 9th, 2003 06:06 PM

We get the best upgrades at hotels that we go to more than once. They appreciate it more when you return, so they show it with an upgrade.
We have also never paid anything, not even a big tip, we just ask.

GoTravel Oct 10th, 2003 09:32 AM

The most surefire way to get a free upgrade is to be very very polite to the front desk person and ask. When they pull up your reservation ask (politely) "is it a nice room?".

Dan Oct 10th, 2003 09:44 AM

I'm glad "tips" have worked for some people, but I don't recommend it. You place the front desk clerk in a very uncomfortable position. I worked in hotels for years and our front desk people could be (and some WERE) FIRED for taking money which, in the hotel's view, belongs to the hotel.

sap115 Oct 10th, 2003 10:03 AM

I've had good luck with e-mailing the hotel before I've left to request an upgrade. I write a friendly letter about looking forward to staying there and then ask to be upgraded if anything should be available. It's worked a few times. One time, I had reserved a standard room and was upgraded to a huge presidential suite with a gigantic balcony. Other times I've been upgraded to a "deluxe" room.